WIX vs Baldwin oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any info on Baldwin filters. Their air filters are very good but wondered if anyone had any input on the oil filters compared to WIX. They are 20% cheaper than WIX in my area. Thanks, Gary

quote:

Originally posted by bigspoke:
Anyone have any info on Baldwin filters. Their air filters are very good but wondered if anyone had any input on the oil filters compared to WIX. They are 20% cheaper than WIX in my area. Thanks, Gary

I used Baldwin filters about 20 years ago when I was able to get them from a Baldwin salesman who visited all the farms in the area where I lived at that time. They are good filters with quality and construction every bit as good as Wix.

I was wondering the same thing myself just recently. I got a bunch of info back from Baldwin, but no reply from Wix.

I got the Beta ratings back on the Wix filters for my application. I am sure other automotive applications would be similar. They are as follows:

22 micron (BX=2), 45 micron (BX=75) and (I am not sure what this one means) 1.1 (B10 = X).

It also stated that it had an average efficiency of 72.20%, and an established micron rating of 22 microns. The burst rating is 200 psi, and the collapse rating is 100 psid.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
This explains oil filter beta rating:
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/engbull.html

I've used a lot of industrial Baldwin and WIX filters for many years. I trust both. Both are excellent quality. Note that Hastings filters are identical to Baldwins except for the paint and catalog numbers.

Ken

Ken2,

I understand the nominal for these flters is 22 microns, and the absolute is 45 microns. But what does the 1.1 (B10=x) mean?

Boxcartommie, you never miss an opportunity to post those numbers. They look very good. Can you tell us please:

What weight of oil pumps at those rates?
What are the viscosity specs for that oil?
Dino? Synthetic? Blend?
At what temperature do those numbers derive?
What is the pumping pressure?
What model of filter?

We're all dying for data here. Help us out, please.

I agree with Ken2. Both are top notch and so similar in quality that I don't think further generalizations about the brands in general would be helpful.

I think you need to flow test the comparable part numbers ... or at least cut them apart to see if you can find a significant difference.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back