Havoline Dino vs NAPA Syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
After switching to Havoline conventional 5w20, Ranger picked up 2.8 miles per gallon. Backed it up with 2 full tank runs on the highway. Best ever with NAPA syn was about 26 mpg. I guess just because its a synthetic doesnt autmatically mean its better. I'm sold on Havoline!.

If the NAPA is just a little more, I'm going with the synthetic every time. While synthetic may not be required in your application, it is the superior oil. Your anecdotal experience of improved gas mileage leaves me thoroughly underwhelmed.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
bigt61,

Full synthetic is an extra $10 per 5 quart bottle. What am I getting for that extra $10 ?

A lighter wallet?
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
bigt61,

Full synthetic is an extra $10 per 5 quart bottle. What am I getting for that extra $10 ?

An extended OCI is what you're getting, and a superior oil for protection in extreme circumstances. That being said, dino is fine in many applications - I used it in my old Bonneville until I switched to MaxLife semi-syn. $10 is a significant difference, but it's really only 3 gallons of gas - how far to you go on that? Napa Syn on sale for $3.49/Qt makes the decision a bit easier. Dino is great and cheap if it suits your needs, but claims of superior mileage are a bit much IMO.

[censored]!!!!!

Not a 2.8 mpg jump.. Ain't happening.. Especially going backwards in choice of oil...

More likely is your driving habits changed, route to work, no towing vs towing..

Something other than oil..

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
After switching to Havoline conventional 5w20, Ranger picked up 2.8 miles per gallon. Backed it up with 2 full tank runs on the highway. Best ever with NAPA syn was about 26 mpg. I guess just because its a synthetic doesnt autmatically mean its better. I'm sold on Havoline!.

You have a 2011 Ford Ranger that normally gets, at best, 26 mpg. You are claiming that Havoline 5W-20 bumped your mileage to 28.8 mpg. I'm not saying that you didn't get 28.8 mpg, but I am saying that it's not the motor oil that caused it.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy

You have a 2011 Ford Ranger that normally gets, at best, 26 mpg. You are claiming that Havoline 5W-20 bumped your mileage to 28.8 mpg. I'm not saying that you didn't get 28.8 mpg, but I am saying that it's not the motor oil that caused it.

I'm thinking the same thing. 2.8 mpg increase is a big jump, only way a motor oil and motor oil alone could cause that would be by going from a 40 weight to a 20 weight.

Last edited:
Driving with the AC off gets me a sizeable bump in MPG. Are you using the AC less now that is fall?

With what proof?!?

You have had to have made driving habit changes..

You simply are not gonna get that much of a gain from changing what type of oil.. Especially going from syn to con..

I had almost the same thing happen, when i switched the pt cruiser from M1 to Valvoline MaxLife. I seen about 3 MPG better gas mileage But my son reminded me that I just changed the Plugs also. Due that was where the 3 mpg better gas mileage came from
blush.gif
Are you shore something did not change other than the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back