ATP-AT205 Reseal as preventive maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two higher mileage BMW's in the family. When acquired , they needed their valve cover gaskets replaced. The rubber gaskets were quite brittle and, in the worst case, could easily be snapped into pieces.

It makes me wonder how the valve stem seals are holding up. I notice on the Amazon site that the first reviewer of this product uses it for preventive maintenance on his cars. Is this a good or bad idea for a car that is running well with little oil consumption?

Finally, is the chemistry in ATP AT-205 basically the same as you would find in most high mileage oils?

2 things of note:

(1 ) all additives sold over the counter/online are, at best, just a patch cure that, over 90% of the time, doesn't work nor does it work in the long term.

(2 ) if your valve stem seal has hardened (most likely it does) which lead to morning sickness (puff of blue smoke 1st thing in the morning, for example), the only way to get the problem resolved properly is to replace all valve stem seals with fresh new ones.

Remember 1 thing: hardening of elastomer (on valve cover gasket, valve stem seals, crank/cam or rotational seals of all sorts)seals is a one-way street: meaning that once they chemically deteriorated, there's no turning back.

Q.

ATP Reseal is the real deal.

If Reseal doesn't stop a leak, the gasket is beyond repair anyway.

I have shops that stock the AT-205 as a last resort for those who can't afford to do a rear main job or a severe p/s leak.

The stuff is NOT snake oil..

forgot to ask ; is At205 same as NoLeak from Gold Eagle ?

41IkGu6bWRL._SS500_.jpg

noleak1.jpg

What about moly holy and kleen flo?

040-500x500.jpg

Engine Seal

Stops minor oil leaks. Revitalizes dried out and glazed rubber seals, gaskets and O-rings. Eliminates damaging oil leaks on garage floors and driveways. For both diesel and gasoline engines
Hydrotreated parafinic Oil

mDDe9XwXeXew3xKXx-9fmWw.jpg

Motor Oil Saver
- reduces oil consumption via the piston rings and valve guides
- prevents blue, smoky exhaust fumes
- prevents leaks due to leaks at elastomeric seals
- regenerates engine seals made of plastic and rubber - reduces engine noises
- prevents pollution of the environment due to oil dripping from the engine

ATP 205 is the best, however do not use it if you do not have a leak.
Now if you want preventive maintenance for your tranny you can use ATP 203 Friction Moddifier for your Tranny and it better then all the rest IMO.

all ATP stuff is awesome

41U6%2ByQnp3L._AA500_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Yannick
What about moly . . .?

mDDe9XwXeXew3xKXx-9fmWw.jpg

Motor Oil Saver
- reduces oil consumption via the piston rings and valve guides
- prevents blue, smoky exhaust fumes

Products containing Molybdenum Disulfide normally have no effect on the seals. Rather, the MoS2 material sticks to the rings and cylinder walls, thereby reducing oil flow past the rings. It also clings to bearing surfaces and provides great start-up lubrication. This is an entirely different thing from rubber seal rejuvination.

- prevents leaks due to leaks at elastomeric seals
- regenerates engine seals made of plastic and rubber - reduces engine noises
- prevents pollution of the environment due to oil dripping from the engine

It's unclear to me why their product would do this, unless they have mixed in some extra stuff. Reducing oil past the rings is a great accomplishment. They should stop while they're ahead.

Originally Posted By: Saleen0679
LM Motor Oil Saver is not the same as LM Anti-Friction Oil Treatment and contains no MoS2.

Okay. Then it is unlikely that this product will do much about oil passing the rings, advertiser's hype notwithstanding. The first claim made by the advertiser for this product dealt with rings.

The second claim 'blue smokey exhaust' also sounds like a 'rings' problem. But, it could be leaking valve stem seals (smoke puff at startup) so who knows?

My point is simple: rings and cylinder wall problems are in one category - metal-to-metal contact - and might respond to one type of additive. Leaky rubber/plastic seals are a different can of worms.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: Saleen0679
LM Motor Oil Saver is not the same as LM Anti-Friction Oil Treatment and contains no MoS2.

Okay. Then it is unlikely that this product will do much about oil passing the rings, advertiser's hype notwithstanding. The first claim made by the advertiser for this product dealt with rings.

The second claim 'blue smokey exhaust' also sounds like a 'rings' problem. But, it could be leaking valve stem seals (smoke puff at startup) so who knows?

My point is simple: rings and cylinder wall problems are in one category - metal-to-metal contact - and might respond to one type of additive. Leaky rubber/plastic seals are a different can of worms.

This product has an ester formulation in it, hence why they claim the seal swelling/conditioning properties.

It also has polymer compounds which is why they claim the ring/valve seal sealing properties.

Many on here have claimed that this worked the best for them, at least out of all of the other products aimed at the same problems.
wink.gif

Kleen flo is Hydrotreated parafinic Oil. What about at-205? Samething?

No, AT-205 is completely ester based, at least according to their techs I've spoken to in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back