Oil Filter Confusion....

Status
Not open for further replies.
After running into this site just a few weeks ago, I have given my oil filter more thought than ever before. Reading through the archives on this site has only confused me even more. Anyway, I want some advice on my oil filter choice. I have to change the oil on one of my cars next weekend, so I need to make a decision on a filter.

On my 305 Chev truck, I think I am just going to run an AC/Delco Duraguard PF1218. For the money, it seems to be a good filter, plus it has the addition of the ADBV (I was using a PF35).

Now the confusion comes with my Olds powered cars. I have run either AC/Delco PF58's or Purolator Premium Plus L20123 (PF-58 equivilant) the past. After doing much research, I found that there are two larger sized filters that will work on my Olds V8. One is the PF-24 and the other is the PF10. The PF24 isn't available at my local Wal-mart and cannot be ordered. The PF10 is discontinued by AC/Delco.

But, I can also get Wix and Purolator filters locally. The Wix 51049 is a largest filter that wil fit my car, but it does not have an ADBV. THe Purolator equivilant (L30005) has the ADBV. From what I have read in the archives, flow seems to be just as important as filtration. And it seems that Purolator filters do not flow well. I would likely only use the Premium plus line on my cars, as I don't want to spend more than $10 per filter.

Anyone have any idea what is the best filter to run? I drain the oil on short intervals in these vehicles. The big Purolator L30005 seems good, but I don't want a restrictive filter. Are the Premium Pluses restrictive? Wouldn't the much larger size permit it to flow better? And the Wix has no ADBV, plus they are pricey at $11 CDN. I don't really want to stick with the tiny PF-58 with no ADBV.

Any advice appreciated.

The Wix equivalent to the AC Delco PF1218 is 51060. This is the one with the anti-drain back valve. It is a large sized filter. The equivalent to the PF35 is 51061. This one does not have the anti-drain back valve. To get the Napa Gold numbers, just drop the first digit of the Wix part number.

I already decided to run a AC/Delco PF1218 on my truck. It's the Olds engines I need help with. Thanks anyway.

I did some calling around, and apparently there are more parts stores that carry Wix filters than I knew of. Anyway, I can get the Wix filters for just over $8 a filter, which isn't bad.

Now the issue comes down to this. I can get the Purolator Premium Plus in larger sizes, the Wix in larger sizes or the AC/Delco in standard size. The Purolators both have ADBV in the L20033 size and the larger L30005 size. The Wix only has the ADBV in the 51258 size but not the larger 51049 size. The AC/Delco PF58 is smaller than the all of the above and does not have the ADBV. The PF59 is not available at the Wal-mart for some reason.

Right now I am thinking my best bet is probably the Wix 51258 filter. From what I have read, Wix has a good comprimise between filtration and flow. The 21258 is still over 30% larger than the PF58 and it has the ADBV. I think the Purlators are probaly too restrictive from what I have read.

Any advice on my logic (or lack thereof) would be appreicated.

Someone mentioned Baldwin filters on another thread. I did some calling around and was able to find out that the Peterbuilt dealer in town carries Baldwin filters.

I can get the B9 filter for just over $5 a filter. These filters are almost as cheap as the AC/Delco's.

Does anyone know how these would compare to a Wix filter?

Also, I emailed Purolator with some questions about there filter line. According to them, in the Premium Plus Line, the standard PF58 equivilant (L20123) flows 3gpm, while the larger PF24 (L20033) equivilant flows 4gpm, and the largest filter the L30005 flows 5gpm! I guess the L20123 I have on the engine now is pretty restrictive. They also told me that some L20123 filters have cardboard end caps, while the other two larger filters always have metal end caps.

So, it looks like my choice will likely be down to the Wix and the Baldwin. Even the largest Purolator filter doesn't seem to flow that well, so I think I will avoid them.

Baldwin filters are excellent. Check that online catalog for crossreferences. (large vs. small, etc.) $5 is a good price. The online discounter I sent doesn't get below $5 until you buy qty 12.

As you'll find in other threads here, Baldwin is Clarcor's industrial/farm label while Hastings is the auto. The filters should be identical between the two. Amsoil gets their filters from these guys, possibly with some differences in media.

David

The Baldwin B39 or B9 (long version) would work. Both have ADBVs. $12 srp but $6 discounted and high $4 qty 12. Sending you an email with a url. BT259 is the long version with a 20PSID bypass valve.

(Not affiliated with any filter manufacturer. I'm just referencing their catalog.)

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back