4 cylinder Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think DDC Series 50....heavy duty 4 cylinder diesel that can take up to 335 HP in a 60' articulated bus hauling 108 people (counting standees).

Give me a gasoline engine that will do that PLUS last 350k miles PLUS average around 4.5MPG operating in city traffic and making a minimum of one stop every block.....full on accel, off accel, full on accel, off accel, etc, etc, etc, etc for about 20 hours per day every day. Talk about soot generators! As a matter of fact, install two of your gas engines and let's see how they live!

The pick-up trucks of today.....ummmm...ahhh...nevermind....those who don't get it never will!

4 cylinders in a diesel is perfect for a truck like the Titan - most owners use them to haul air anyway.

Originally Posted By: 4x4chevydude
ARE YOU KIDDING...the 4 cylinder diesel will put out more power than most v8 trucks....diesel is a very misunderstood concept I see...I want one as soon as they come out, money says I wont be getting one but ive seen gas trucks swapped to a 4bd cummons diesel and they have more torque and HP than the v8 that came out of it...added bonus of extra MPG's and you have a towing machine that will be more than capable of hauling most anything that a 3/4 ton truck can handle with better MPG's I personally think this was overdue and that the big 3 should start looking into switching theirs from 6-4 cylinders.

I couldn't agree more. >800ft-lb in a pickup truck that spends a lot of time empty and weighs ~7000 lb = ridiculous. Mercedes makes a 4.8L 4cyl that puts out 218hp at 2200 and 597 ft-lb, it runs a Unimog U5000 with a 30000 lb GVW and 45-50" tires.

Is it necessary or safe to be able to tow a 30' 5th wheel trailer uphill at 75mph?

Charlie

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Yeah, I own a Titan, very big and heavy. A 4 cylinder diesel? Sure if the pistons are the size of huge coffee cans!

From what I can see the Nissan Titan is a development of the Nissan Navara/Pathfinder platform.

The only engine available (till recently) in that is the 2.5 dci lump in my Pathfinder which is a turbo intercooled 4 cylinder diesel.

Latest ones can be had with a 3.0v6 diesel.

But the 2.5 can be remapped for over 200 bhp, not sure about torque though.

Recent 515cdi and 516cdi Mercedes Sprinters have 2.2 four cylinder engines these days in Europe, that is the engine they have in the newer Ambulances in London. Older ones were 416cdi with the 2.7 5 cylinder lump.

Not saying I prefer a 4 cylinder engine over a straight 5 or 6 cylinder or even a v6.

But they can be made to perform perfectly well.

And I suspect Nissan and Cummins has one eye on emissions, the stricter the emissions have got in Europe, Euro 2, 3, 4 and now 5 a gradual decline of economy has been noticed by many Navara/Pathfinder owners.

The fact Cummins are building a 4 cylinder Diesel engine for the Titan platform is interesting though, I know the Titan is a little bigger but would it be possible to fit the upcoming Cummins lump in a Pathy or Navara?

Maybe the engine is destined for use outside be US which is one reason for this project.

We now have "world cars", such as new Mondeo and Fusion, why not "world engines".

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Yeah, I own a Titan, very big and heavy. A 4 cylinder diesel? Sure if the pistons are the size of huge coffee cans!
89x100 a nice short CI block
Originally Posted By: bigjl

From what I can see the Nissan Titan is a development of the Nissan Navara/Pathfinder platform.

The only engine available (till recently) in that is the 2.5 dci lump in my Pathfinder which is a turbo intercooled 4 cylinder diesel.

Latest ones can be had with a 3.0v6 diesel.

But the 2.5 can be remapped for over 200 bhp, not sure about torque though.
That is correct. The Navara/Frontier has the same chassis as the Titan. The YD25 engine what You mentioned is getting stronger and more reliable. Our is the 174HP 403Nm mated to 6spd manual and no problems yet at 240k kms. Pulls like a train with 2 tonns attached.

Why are some people quick to trash something that's not even on the market yet. I for one would give the titan a serious look. I love diesels but I have way to much truck(see sig). I did need that much when I bought it, but things change.

This is something that anybody that has had a diesel would certianly give a hard look at. The power and fuel mileage will spoil anyone. For people that want or need a truck just not a 3/4 or bigger, this will give them the best of both worlds.

So instead of nitpicking and being so negative look at the WHOLE reason this was brought to market!
1. A market nich
2. People like me that a 1/2ton would be enough truck with fuel mileage and durability.
3. Cafe standrds
4. Any other reason that people would want one.

So if this type of vehicle is not what you want or need don't buy/look at it. Why be so negative on something that alot of other people would give a serious look at.

Last edited:
I would take a look because it's a Cummins engine-but the rest of the truck, including the non-HD non-floating rear axle would be a turn-off. Not to mention the inevitable DPF, emissions, etc. Funny that now that diesel is 25% more than gas they start becoming available in a LD truck again!

I use to be all for a small diesel engine in a half ton. However, with newer turbo gas engines like the ecoboost its really not needed. The diesel engine will likely have a higher premium and the diesel fuel is more expensive. The ecoboost tows just like a diesel... Never downshifts and pulls right along while drinking the cheaper gasoline.

Originally Posted By: volk06
I use to be all for a small diesel engine in a half ton. However, with newer turbo gas engines like the ecoboost its really not needed. The diesel engine will likely have a higher premium and the diesel fuel is more expensive. The ecoboost tows just like a diesel... Never downshifts and pulls right along while drinking the cheaper gasoline.

And why is diesel fuel more expensive?

When buying fuel industrially (coal, oil, biomass, etc.) you buy it by the BTU basically.

When diesel went from what was essentially a waste product that they were trying to create a market for to a desirable product in it's own right, the price followed.

My Nissan with 3.0 TDi gets 10km/l, the petrol version gets 7...diesel is $1.60/l, petrol $1.50, The diesel option cost me nearly $4k more in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back