How do you disconnect GM fuel injector connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSCN0852_zps6bf3e445.jpg

2000 Buick LeSabre 3800 V6

I'm thinking I might need to move the engine harness a little bit to clear the rear valve cover. I'm thinking about disconnecting the 3 fuel injector connectors on the rear of the engine. How do you disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel injector?

there's a retainer clip around the round cylinder part of the fuel rail that holds the rail on to the injector. not the plastic looking wire retainer in the foreground holding the electrical oonnector. the retainer round the rail will push inward toward the intake and release the rail from the injector. that's how i did it pulling them on my 2006 8.1L. my electrical connectors were different looking than yours. when you undo the rail retainers, the rail will take considerable force to pull up off the injector, the o-ring will be dried out and holding the rail on. once you get the rail off, it'll be easier to figure out the electrical connector. you'll need a good flat blade screw driver to push the rail retainers off, they are tight.

Thank you sir, but I don't want to pull the injectors at this time. I just wan't to
disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel injector - how do I do this?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Thank you sir, but I don't want to pull the injectors at this time. I just wan't to

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to pop the metal clip on the sides of the connector, it will pop out on one side then move to the other.
Install the metal clip on the connector first then just push it on till it clicks to reinstall.
No need to fiddle trying to install the clips with the connector on the injector, that would be a nightmare.

Grab the injector and squeeze the metal clip and the injector together and pull the connector off the injector.

Do not pry off the metal clip from the connector. It is not necessary to do so. Re-connect by snapping the connector back onto the injector.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Use a small flat blade screwdriver to pop the metal clip on the sides of the connector, it will pop out on one side then move to the other.
Install the metal clip on the connector first then just push it on till it clicks to reinstall.
No need to fiddle trying to install the clips with the connector on the injector, that would be a nightmare.

Easier yet, just squeeze it. I use my thumb on the curved wire section and my index finger on the back of the plastic connecter. Squeeze and pull. To reinstall, just push back on until you hear a click.

Edit: I need to learn how to type faster. cmorr and paulo beat me to it.

Last edited:
I got it off!
55.gif
All I had to do is push the wire clip in at the same time as I'm pulling upwards. I found it easier to do it with two hands - one to push in the wire clip in and the other to pull the connector straight up. I also found out that in order to get the connector back on, it's best to push the wire clip in first before pushing the connector on. Thanks fellas.
55.gif

Use needlenose pliers to pull the belly of that U Clip straight out like the pin on a grenade.

It has flared feet on the two legs of the U so it doesn't fall out from engine vibration.

Yep your right. I was thinking of the square ones i just did on a Euro car. My bad.

Those are annoying. The first time I did one, I was thinking that there was going to be some ingenious German thinking designed into it. Boy was I wrong... Trying to get some of those clips off can be fun in tight quarters.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Use needlenose pliers to pull the belly of that U Clip straight out like the pin on a grenade.

It has flared feet on the two legs of the U so it doesn't fall out from engine vibration.

Nope, that's a quick way to mangle them, press/squeeze the bale with a thumb and pull up on the connector (OP confirmed removal this way prior to your post)

I posted a photo off the connector, imagine the damage puling that metal clip with pliers would do (in the prior photo you can see how it's curved up in the back to keep it from being removed)

Am waiting for the day someone really fubars their car here based on "advice" given by someone

Originally Posted By: cmorr

Nope, that's a quick way to mangle them, press/squeeze the bale with a thumb and pull up on the connector (OP confirmed removal this way prior to your post)

I posted a photo off the connector, imagine the damage puling that metal clip with pliers would do (in the prior photo you can see how it's curved up in the back to keep it from being removed)

Am waiting for the day someone really fubars their car here based on "advice" given by someone

You don't have to wait days. I bet it happened a few minutes ago.
grin2.gif

[censored] that is how I recall doing it in the past but it was at school.

Hope it didn't crack the housing.

Maybe I got it confused with disconnecting the clutch line from the slave cylinder. It is a similar looking retaining clip.

I think I am going to lay off giving advice for a while I feel really out of it lately.

Last edited:
Yep your right. I was thinking of the square ones i just did on a Euro car. My bad.

80's vintage Hondas use the connector type where you need to pry off the wire clip from the connector. It's a pain when you want to do an injector balance test.

[censored] that is how I recall doing it in the past but it was at school.

Hope it didn't crack the housing.

Maybe I got it confused with disconnecting the clutch line from the slave cylinder. It is a similar looking retaining clip.

I think I am going to lay off giving advice for a while I feel really out of it lately.

Don't sweat it we all makes mistakes anyone that says they don't is just not owning up to it.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Grab the injector and squeeze the metal clip and the injector together and pull the connector off the injector.

Do not pry off the metal clip from the connector. It is not necessary to do so. Re-connect by snapping the connector back onto the injector.

^^^THIS is what I do.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back