?Grease Air compressor crankshaft before install??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 2 piston pump. Single crank. One of those over priced cheaply made tall tanks with pump and motor on top. I've cleaned the pump up and restored it. The piston connection rod seized to the crank. The connecting rods are aluminum with no bushings. Had aluminum stuck to the crank. I think he used detergent oil in it. No oil filter or pump. It's just one of those splash oil type.

It was recommended to me to use synthetic grease on the new connecting rods. (That's grease the rods connection to the crank.)

I don't know if it would be compatible to the splash oil lube system. I was thinking it would probably cause a issue long term.

I'll be putting non-detergent oil in it. Still looking into whats available oil wise.

Anyone with advice on this?

Thanks,

Yep, assembly lube is what you need.

No need for synthetic oil in an air compressor. You're not seeing the high temperatures you would in an engine so regular oil has very long life in this kind of an application. Also, compressor oils have high amounts of ZDDP in them which makes them smell really good and reduce wear so just fill it up with the compressor oil specified by the manufacturer and sleep well.

Originally Posted By: Intuition
The piston connection rod seized to the crank. The connecting rods are aluminum with no bushings. Had aluminum stuck to the crank. I think he used detergent oil in it.

Just an FYI: Non-detergent oils are used in compressors because unnecessary additives found in motor oil build up on the valve seats of the compressor and don't burn off due to the absence of a combustion process.

Using detergent oil didn't take out your rod bearing. The bearing failed because cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back