Replacing idler pulley 2007 4.0 Mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gf`s idler pulley on her Mustang has started squeaking. I`ve searched the net,Mustang forums,etc on a good writeup but all the ones I`ve found have deleted images,videos,etc. Has anyone done this,and is it an easy job?

If anyone has done this and knows how,or could direct me to a good writeup,that`d be awesome! I`m going to attempt to do it this weekend. Thanks!

Extremely easy, had a bad pulley noise last winter, replaced tensioner, idler, and belt before the alternator finally blew up lol. Should take about 10 minutes tops

What's the procedure I need to follow? Just wanna make sure I don't screw anything up. What do I need to loosen first,some kind've tensioner I'm thinking?

Just take the belt off, unbolt the idler pulley, bolt a new pulley on, reinstall belt, and you're done.

The tensioner is spring loaded. It's constantly pressing on the belt. You use a ratchet to make the tensioner pivot away from the belt, thus releasing the tension. As soon as you let go, the spring makes the tensioner press against the belt again.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Just take the belt off, unbolt the idler pulley, bolt a new pulley on, reinstall belt, and you're done.

The tensioner is spring loaded. It's constantly pressing on the belt. You use a ratchet to make the tensioner pivot away from the belt, thus releasing the tension. As soon as you let go, the spring makes the tensioner press against the belt again.

^^Right on! Exactly what I needed to know,thanks
smile.gif

What I do is:
Carry an 'extra' belt in my vehicle.
And the tools to change - while on the road.

Learn in your garage.
No sence in being stranded for a simple belt change.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Are you positive it's the idler pulley? Does it sound like the tensioner squeaking in this vid? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN1UpzK20vs

Definitely not that. Thanks though! I idled it and poured water onto the idler pulley and sure enough,it went silent. Bought the parts yesterday and will perform the surgery Sunday:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back