oil and filter change after head gasket ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the shop to replace a head gasket on our old family van 1995 ford winstar 3.8L it had head gasket problem and been park for 3 year, I finally had time to come home and take to the shop getting fix for him , we keep it since new and my dad do not want to sell it, event thought the head gasket job cost more then the van worth. anyway the shop change the oil and filter, and im plan on doing couple oil change after that. Should I drain the oil and keep the filter ? how many time I need to change oil and filter after head gasket job ?

that windstar maybe worth only a 1000 bucks on a used car lot. Change the oil every 3 months and enjoy it while its running....

I would change the oil and filter after 1000 miles, and then on a regular schedule of say 5k after that. I'd recommend Rotella / Delo 15w40, and drive it till it drops.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver

that windstar maybe worth only a 1000 bucks on a used car lot. Change the oil every 3 months and enjoy it while its running....

it not about the moneys, we have money, my dad drove 2013 F250 CC , we keep it cause it been in our family for so long, it was my first brother car, then me, then 2 other brother ^^, this second time we had to do the head gasket on it. and that was 10 years ago. SO much memories, so we gonna keep it.

anyway I pull the dip stick and see tiny bit of black crush...

I am of the opinion that you should do several low mileage oil changes after a head gasket repair. Lots of coolant and other crud fall down into the engine.

Maybe change at 250 miles, then 1500 miles, than back to what you normally did.

Originally Posted By: 3putter
I would change the oil and filter after 1000 miles, and then on a regular schedule of say 5k after that. I'd recommend Rotella / Delo 15w40, and drive it till it drops.

This would be my choice... Not necessary the 15W-40 but no way are continued short oil and filer changes necessary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back