High tech manufacturing

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is "high tech manufacturing"?

What would the syllabus for a high school class on this vague topic include?

Wood shop, I can understand...but this genre? Too nebulous...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
What is "high tech manufacturing"?

What would the syllabus for a high school class on this vague topic include?

Wood shop, I can understand...but this genre? Too nebulous...

Good question. In for the response...

Having done R&D support for manufacturing locations, I would hope to see it cover the following:

1. ISO and similar standards. Use of simple statistics to follow production and product quality.
2. Clean room practices.
3. Programming, operation and maintenance of computer driven equipment.
4. Different methods of making different products. Most high school kids have no idea how steel is made, musch less a wafer of silicon for electronics. How is a printed circuit board made?
5. What knowledge base is required to work in a high end manufacturing environment? What courses are needed in high school, college and/or tech school.

I can teach it.

Did some wild stuff in the Defense & Medical Device industry for 32 years.
smile.gif

This course introduces students to the manufacturing industry by giving them an
opportunity to design and fabricate products using a variety of processes, tools, and
equipment. Students will learn about technical drawing, properties and preparation
of materials, and manufacturing techniques. Student projects may include a robotic
challenge, a design challenge, or a fabrication project involving processes such as
machining, welding, vacuum forming, or injection moulding. Students will develop
an awareness of environmental and societal issues related to manufacturing, and will
learn about secondary and postsecondary pathways leading to careers in the industry.

The above course description is right from Ontario's Ministry of Education Curriculum document.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GSCJR
This course introduces students to the manufacturing industry by giving them an
opportunity to design and fabricate products using a variety of processes, tools, and
equipment. Students will learn about technical drawing, properties and preparation
of materials, and manufacturing techniques. Student projects may include a robotic
challenge, a design challenge, or a fabrication project involving processes such as
machining, welding, vacuum forming, or injection moulding. Students will develop
an awareness of environmental and societal issues related to manufacturing, and will
learn about secondary and postsecondary pathways leading to careers in the industry.

The above course description is right from Ontario's Ministry of Education Curriculum document.
interesting...thanks!...yes I was reading Germany starts this around their soph yr. Nothing here. We are behind times.

None currently offered in public schools here. The not so local vocational/technical school offers courses for the studies listed, some for high school students, some for graduates.

I have a very good friend that is a Supervisor of a CNC shop/manufacturing plant. You would be surprised how few qualified people are out there for these jobs. Worst part, since 2008, the hourly wage is almost half of what it was.

No surprise people have moved on to other things.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Having done R&D support for manufacturing locations, I would hope to see it cover the following:

1. ISO and similar standards. Use of simple statistics to follow production and product quality.
2. Clean room practices.
3. Programming, operation and maintenance of computer driven equipment.
4. Different methods of making different products. Most high school kids have no idea how steel is made, musch less a wafer of silicon for electronics. How is a printed circuit board made?
5. What knowledge base is required to work in a high end manufacturing environment? What courses are needed in high school, college and/or tech school.

Ha, if they only offered this at my job - which is a manf facility.... jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back