2 stroke engine break in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing a rebuilt motor in my Yamaha Exciter jet boat.
It is a 1200 Yamaha jet ski engine. Got a full tank (35 gals) of
Klotz synthetic TCW3 premix in the ski at 50-1. Should I just add
to this tank the same oil for break in(double 50-1)/ add non syn /
Or dump the tank and use non syn for break-in?

I'm thinking the Klotz might delay the wearing in by a few minutes
compared to non synthetic. Mixing with a non synthetic may not be
compatible and dumping the tank is a pain.

If that's what you want to do, that's fine.

Does the warranty require synthetic or conventional 2T oil?

If it recommends conventional, and you're running synthetic, you'll be fine at 50:1.

If the warranty requires synthetic 2T oil to be burned, then go ahead and run the 32:1 if it makes you feel better.

Good synthetic (I assume Klotz is decent, but I've never run it) doesn't require as much oil if you're comparing against a conventional. For example....most marine 2-strokes recommend 50:1. I've run 100:1 for hundreds of hours in my water engines using Redline and Maxima K2.

Warranty doesn't mention synthetic or non synthetic.
I'm just looking for experiences of people that have used synthetic for break in.

A quick look on google shows many people say not to use synthetic for break in.

I always used synthetic in my 2 strokes from dirt bikes to jet skis and never had an issue at all. Fresh rebuild or worn and tired, I ran the same ratio of around 50:1.

Honestly, I cannot see it making any real-world difference. Too many people are making assumptions based upon the possibility that some four stroke engines' ring-seating was slowed by the use of a synhetic base oil. I just don't see it making any difference for a two stroke.

I can agree w/ a reduced mixture of synthetic two stroke oil on liquid cooled applications (not sure about AC apps, so I will not speculate) but that's about as far as I would go.

John.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
I can agree w/ a reduced mixture of synthetic two stroke oil on liquid cooled applications (not sure about AC apps, so I will not speculate) but that's about as far as I would go.

John.

Yeah, I wouldn't run 100:1 in an air cooled 2T engine. No way.

But in a boat, it's possible....especially in a kicker engine....an engine used for trolling or slow speeds for a long length of time (low RPM's run for hours).

Just run your conventional or synthetic oil for at 50:1 and be done with it. If you want to run 32:1, go ahead.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
I am installing a rebuilt motor in my Yamaha Exciter jet boat.
It is a 1200 Yamaha jet ski engine. Got a full tank (35 gals) of
Klotz synthetic TCW3 premix in the ski at 50-1. Should I just add
to this tank the same oil for break in(double 50-1)/ add non syn /
Or dump the tank and use non syn for break-in?

I'm thinking the Klotz might delay the wearing in by a few minutes
compared to non synthetic. Mixing with a non synthetic may not be
compatible and dumping the tank is a pain.

Run what the engine mfg/rebuilder says to run as far as ratio. I am sure they have given you a rating for the 2-stroke oil so use that as well. If they say 32:1 for break in, then 50:1 thereafter, then run it that way. Not sure why this should even be a question?

NHHEMI did you even read the posts?
Nothing about ratio,
The question didn't concern the ratio, Just what oil I should
use as I have 35 gallons of synthetic 50-1 mix already in the tank.
Maybe another way to run up your post count?

I wouldn't dump the tank over it. How would anyone but you know if you ran 50:1 or 32:1?

I've never found that "break in" oil helps in any way.

I used to race SeaDoo's and had a small business building the Rotax race engines for local racers. At no point could I make any type of reasonable determination that wear levels changed with different break in procedures or oil ratio's.

We'd build engines, thermal cycle them a bit (start/stop, cool down check for leaks) then slowly cruise out the intracoastal into the ocean where short full throttle runs were immediately made. That was as much break in as they ever got. These things were absolutely thrashed, over-revved and run without much consideration to engine life. Yet they held up perfectly.

When they were disassembled, sometimes after as much as 250 hours of racing and practice, wear rates were never an issue.

Because a non racing engine has tighter piston to wall clearances, I'd use caution during the warm up phase, always.

Originally Posted By: QuOk
NHHEMI did you even read the posts?
Nothing about ratio,
The question didn't concern the ratio, Just what oil I should
use as I have 35 gallons of synthetic 50-1 mix already in the tank.
Maybe another way to run up your post count?

Yes, I read the post and your others and there has been talk in this thread of what ratio to run the 2-stroke oil at( including your own posts ).

Most outboard mfg's recommend a different ratio for break in than they do for normal use. I merely suggested with all the varying talks of what to do and not do as far as ratio to go with what the mfg says to use.

Using the correct ratio is far more important for break in than synthetic vs conventional. Your thread title is "break in" and with a 2 stroke the ratio of oil to fuel matters a lot for break in.

Excuse me for trying to help you out. Wow. Trust me it won't happen again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back