Continuous Variable Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have ANY feedback on CVT's? I have a bad feeling about this only because I am not in anyway familiar with the design and reliability of this.

104k, that is a good sign.

OP, are you thinking of getting one? I'm not sure there is much data yet on CVT's with high milage. If you plan to buy and run into the ground, vs buy and trade after 5 years, well, that is a significant difference.

Nissans don't work. They fail at low mileage and tend to overheat and go into limp home mode.

Good idea, but poor execution.

I'd like to see how Honda does with them!

It was the earlier Nissan CVT's that had so many problems. I believe Nissan extended their warranty to 120k for replacement up until 2010 MY.

Out Nissan Altima has 54,500 miles on it and has run flawlessly. I know the mileage isn't high, but just some info for you. My wife loves the "no shifting" and smooth performance.

2008 Prius, ran great up to 130k, would have gone longer but it was totaled.

2004 Ion, still going great at well over 100k (but the same trans in the Vue sucked)

2007 Caliber, still a little young, probably 60k by now (my mom's

Prius CVT is a bit of a misnomer.

Personally, if the maker had extended their warranty for their trans to 120k because of issues, I'd probably dump the vehicle. Or save up for its replacement transmission. 120k is what, half the life of the vehicle? Seems like a really bad sign, to me at least.

I think in a few years we'll finally have some good, conclusive data.

The CVT in the new Subarus is excellent. I was impressed with the one in the 2014 Forester. I would still prefer a MT, but their CVT works very well.

I have one in my Ford Five Hundred AWD . I think the biggest issues with CVT is how they are driven . It took me some time to get used to mine and I don't push it often , just a nice moderate acceleration and I use the cruise as much as conditions allow .
Regular maintenance is important too of course but a lot of the CVT's go a long time without issues and others don't . I've read a lot of reviews and you seem to see good and bad in all . Again , I think a lot of it is how they are driven and the conditions .
I will add my 500 gets great mileage for a full size car with AWD .

exranger06 , if you don't want to read this thread and it's content , hit the road......:D

Last edited:
The new CVT in the 2014 Nissan Versa is superb. I forget their terminology but it essentially has an equivalent of an overdrive.

60mph @ 1400 RPM avg 46mpg on somewhat rolling highway. Seamlessly switched out of overdrive for hills, I didn't feel a shift or anything.

I can't wait for CVTs to be as reliable as standard automatics. I want a muscle car with one, even if I'm a minority.

Last edited:
CVT's scare me - I don't like the way they drive and the fluid is expensive. Many horror stories out there. I would not buy a new Accord just because of the CVT. My sons new Dart has a 6 speed auto that does not require a fluid change until 150,000 miles. That's the kind of maintenance I like.

The Jatco (Nissan?) CVT in my Jeep has had no issues in 115,000 miles. The lack of engine braking took awhile to get used to but on the plus side, brake pads seem to last forever.

CVT fluid from Ford is about $18 a Qt. and it takes 6 for a flush and fill .

CVT's do feel very strange when you first drive them , it feels like slippage is going on between the engine and tranny and is but not in a bad way , it's thru the torque converter mostly . After you have drove one for a week or so you think nothing of it but I do maintain to drive them with an awareness so I'm not pushing too hard .

My 500 runs at about 1600 RPM at 100 KPH (60 MPH) .

Originally Posted By: kb01
The Jatco (Nissan?) CVT in my Jeep has had no issues in 115,000 miles. The lack of engine braking took awhile to get used to but on the plus side, brake pads seem to last forever.

I had to get used to that too , actually speeds up down hills with foot off throttle !

Originally Posted By: kb01

Does your CVT not have the option to shift down into low? Every CVT I have driven's low gear is much different than an automatic. In a way that it is usable for engine braking on steep hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back