Hastings oil filters question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Hastings oil filter for my truck a while back at Federated Auto Parts. After I got it home I did my normal inspection and noticed that instead of holes being inside the filter it had hundreds of tiny slits for the oil to come through after filtering. This indeed is a unique design of which I have personally never seen. To those of you that use Hastings filters--do they all have these slits instead of holes? Just curious as to why they use this design instead of doing what everybody else does with the holes in metal design. I hope I made sense.
dunno.gif

I have a cut open LF487 and it has to slits like you metion. There are stamped out.

As to why, I don't know the answer. It looks as if this would defuse the oil more and prevent a channeling effect? Just an observation but its probably done to be different.

[ February 05, 2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I too have noticed the "slits" instead of holes inside some hastings filters, in fact when I looked closely some of the "slits" didn't appear to be stamped all the way through the metal, while others were, it kind of makes me wonder whether it was on purpose or a quality issue.

The inner core of Hastings filters is a spiral round, stamped piece of sheet steel, with rows of 1/2 round punch throughs with openings on the side of the partial punch throughs ie slits- very stout.

As far as inhibiting flow - I'm too tired to measure the gaps, calculate the area of each gap and count the number and multiply. I bet it's enough though.
smile.gif

Thats not entirely correct.

Hasting is part of Baldwin. Hasting is the manf. of Amsoil filters. Although they appear to be similar they are not, Amsoil spec's their filters and Hastings manufactures them. Teh saem with Baldwin. The media in the Amsoil filters is different than Hastings.

Its like GM. Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, GMC, Chevrolet etc are all part of GM, but each targets a certain market and each have differences.

It can't be said that all filters made by a certain manf. are the same. While visually they may appear similar, often the difference is in the quality and type of the filtering media, and the quality of the components.

Mike,
Baldwin and Hastings are both brands of Clarcor Corp. http://www.clarcor.com/businesses/engine-mobile/ Baldwin's factory address is 4400 E. Hwy. 30, Kearny, Neb. Hasting's factory address is...guess what...4400 E. Hwy. 30, Kearny, Neb.

Baldwin told me that their Hastings filters are identical and that they (Clarcor's 4400 E. Hwy 30, Kearny, Neb. factory) make Amsoil filters to Amsoil specs.

Agreed, not all filters from the same manufacturer are the same. Baldwin and Hastings filters are identical, Amsoil says that their's are better, and Casite (made by Baldwin/Hastings) are lower quality, according to a Baldwin rep.

I've used Baldwin filters for many years in industrial applications. Their quality is tops.

Ken

[ February 07, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

i learned that the slits that hastings and baldwin and donaldson use in there filters..allows 60% more flow surface then the filters with holes.quote from hastings

So Boxcartommie 22 : : Are you considering a trial run with baldwin/hastings? I know Wix filters have worked well for you in the past. Have you tried Motorcraft? I ask beacause my Duratech 3.0 Taurus uses the same filter as your Modulars 4.6/5.4.

yes, i have the hastings on the car now it looks very well made from what i can see...the lf110 i ordered a case of 12 for 94 bucks i think think this is what iam finally going to go with i just wanted the fastest flows of any filters...i change my oils and filters every 1500-2000 miles..so i went with flow over filtration

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
(snipped) ...i change my oils and filters every 1500-2000 miles..so i went with flow over filtration

Why change so frequently?

Also, 94 bucks for a case of LF110 Hastings seems a bit high. I was getting them for just over 6 bucks a piece when buying singles or two at a time and I would think you'd get a better price when purchasing a case
dunno.gif

[ May 04, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: mikep ]

I too used Hastings for years and years. I always thought that they were the same as Baldwin and amsoil. I purchase them at a local farm/home store. They run a special several times a year for 25% off. My filters would run about $3 to $4 each on sale. About 6 months ago I cut open some baldwins and hastings. They looked identical except the filtering material looked different.

They are a great filter, and according to the mecruiser filter study they flow good too.

I still use them on one car that I have, but have swtiched to acdeclo upf's for the other two cars.

I would be interested to know the upgrades to hastings that you are talking about. If they have gone to a silcone adbv, that would be a plus!!

quote:

Originally posted by Ross:
I would be interested to know the upgrades to hastings that you are talking about. If they have gone to a silcone adbv, that would be a plus!!

It has been a while since I've used an LF110 but I can say the LF240 hasn't gone to a silicone ADBV. My local supply shop was out of LF240s last time I was there so they move a lot of Hastings filters.

I've been totally happy with the Baldwin filters I've been running on my car. It takes the B-43S, and I can get them from my buddy's speed shop for 5 bucks a piece. I'm sure he'd give me a discount if I ordered in case lots too.

He's mentioned that on almost every engine he's tried this expiriment on, it's been the same result...Take your filter of choice, and oil of choice, and install them into the car of your choice. Hook up a manual oil pressure gage and observe the readings in various driving environments. Change the oil and install a Baldwin filter with the same brand and grade of oil as the first time, and you'll almost always pick up at least 5 PSI oil pressure in the same types of driving.

I wouldn't know...All I have is an idiot light.
dunno.gif

One advantage to slits (as opposed to stamped holes) and also spriraled center tubes (with raised knurls, which also add strength to the center tube) is that the media paper can't cover the hole. With the slit (or knurls), oil can flow from various nearby areas under the media (after filtering through it) wherever it wants to through a path of least resistance, improving overall oil flow. With a flat surface, such as with stamped holes, a media pleat fold can fully cover a hole. For oil to move through that hole, it must first move through that one little spot on the media covering the hole. Making for an irregular (not flat) surface where the media meets the tube makes for better oil flow between the two surfaces, and provides more paths to flow to.

Just be sure that you get a Hastings oil filter and not a Casite oil filter. Casite is also made by Hastings but seems to be a lower quality oil filter. I saw a Casite oil filter that had been cut apart and it looked like a FRAM inside. Maybe somebody had accidentally put a FRAM oil filter element in the Casite can, I don't know.

I know a couple of mechanics who like to talk about how great Hastings oil filters are. One guy has an engineering degree from MIT but took over his Dad's auto repair shop. He says that Hastings oil filters are great and also he likes Valvoline motor oil. But he actually uses Casite oil filters on people's cars and trucks.

The other guy really does use Hastings oil filters and Mystic motor oil. That is what goes on the customers cars and trucks unless they bring in their own oil filter and their own oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
Mike,
Baldwin and Hastings are both brands of Clarcor Corp. http://www.clarcor.com/businesses/engine-mobile/ Baldwin's factory address is 4400 E. Hwy. 30, Kearny, Neb. Hasting's factory address is...guess what...4400 E. Hwy. 30, Kearny, Neb.

Baldwin told me that their Hastings filters are identical and that they (Clarcor's 4400 E. Hwy 30, Kearny, Neb. factory) make Amsoil filters to Amsoil specs.

Ken

I'm not sure they are the same did you see the comaprison of the Baldwin and Hastings filters in The Mercruiser study? Quite a few physical differences. Even the number of inlet holes is different.
http://home.earthlink.net/~memphis3/mercfilters/merc.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back