Ford Focus 2.0 DI 5 speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have one of these and what do you think about it? There are some pretty good rebates in my area now on them. I did a search but didnt turn up so much as an oil analysis. I know many hate direct injection but its getting to the point more and more engines have it. Any sore spots on these cars? I know the dual clutch transmissions have been problematic but dont want one of those. Just point A to B with good gas mileage and decent ride and room. Do you think one of these cars will hold up over the long haul? I always worry about that because I keep stuff a long time. Thanks.

I test drove a Focus with the stick shift and really liked it.
I would buy it if I were in the market. The 2.0 should be capable of 250 to 300K if maintained, IMO.

We have a 2012 Focus S with 2.0 and 5sp. Great little car and gets good gas mileage. It gets 35mpg+ on the interstate. Running around town and to work and back it sits right at 32-34mpg. Just wish it was a little more heavy for winter driving. The 2.0L uoa have been showing very little fuel dilution.

Around here, they are pretty rare.

Virtually all of the Foci (Focuses?) on dealer lots are automated manuals. (5 hatchback manuals out of 192 Foci posted under $20,000)

They all had those really ugly plastic wheel covers.

I've only driven the dual clutch equipped ones. I like a lot about the car but hate that transmission. Maybe my throttle application is not compatible with dual clutch cars. I seem to be very capable of confusing the [heck] out those TCMs. Gallardo to GTi, hated them all (okay, I only drove the Gallardo around the parking lot at work after installing a breathalyzer on it)

As bad and slow as the SmartForTwo's transmission shifts, I would probably cause it to explode. Commit TCM ritual suicide.

Again, I like a lot about the car. I'm sure I would like a manual even more. The dash sticks out a lot on the passenger side and forces the passenger to sit back further. That eats up rear passenger legroom. Shoulder room could be better. Ford still isn't quite up to Honda standards in utilizing interior space. You can see that when you fold down the seats in the Fit vs the Focus. (or Accord vs Taurus...etc...) But it handles like a Mazda 3i and looks worlds better than the 3's leering grin grill.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
I looked at them but the 30% American made sticker really annoyed me.

+1. It's nice to see someone else cares. Of our 3 cars, 70% is the worst. But I look at that prior to purchase. I want to support American companies and workers.

Yes, but most of the other components are sourced from other countries that are not slave wage countries. I think the transmission on the manual comes from Germany, and most other parts from other West European nations.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Yes, but most of the other components are sourced from other countries that are not slave wage countries. I think the transmission on the manual comes from Germany, and most other parts from other West European nations.

Not from what I see on mine. Most of the parts I see on my focus say Made in Mexico on them. :|

Unlike my cruze, which did say germany, czech repub, etc on them.

If buy American is your thing it seems like Honda is a strong contender. It is a strong mix of content and US engineering/manufacturing as most its models US specific that are sold in mass here.

The thing though is Cruze and Focus are wonderful cars because they are global designs where small sized vehicle design is critical to your bottom line. So beyond the import of parts and limited content the engineering is imported too.

Focus & Cruze is a great car and has little to do with Detroit except the smart decision to "import it".

Originally Posted By: rjundi
If buy American is your thing it seems like Honda is a strong contender. It is a strong mix of content and US engineering/manufacturing as most its models US specific that are sold in mass here.

The thing though is Cruze and Focus are wonderful cars because they are global designs where small sized vehicle design is critical to your bottom line. So beyond the import of parts and limited content the engineering is imported too.

Focus & Cruze is a great car and has little to do with Detroit except the smart decision to "import it".

This is absolutely true. North America is Honda's biggest market and consequently they have been shifting more and more resources here in addition to the expanding production resources that have been here for 30 years. Not only that, most of the parts content is sourced domestically as well. 500 suppliers across 34 states selling $22 Billion dollars annually in products to Honda. http://www.hondainamerica.com/parts-and-suppliers http://www.hondainamerica.com/us-investment-map (there's a better map somewhere with each of the 500 listed)
So when you buy one, sure some small amount of profit is distributed in the organization but before that happens Joe, Fred, Rita, and Bob who setup, built, inspected, and supervised the build in Ohio all got paid; and even before that a multitude of other Joes, Freds, Ritas, and Bobs working for the component suppliers got paid as well. More people stand to benefit based on where the components are sourced from rather than final assembly location.

But to the topic at hand, unless American is a huge factor, there's nothing indicating that a 5MT Focus won't be an excellent car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back