CV Grease Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question I am hoping some of you might be able to help me out with. I recently rebuilt the front axle of my 1997 Land Cruiser only to find out after the fact that I used MP grease in the knuckles (specifically for a Birfield or Rzeppa joint) rather than Moly Grease. I used Mystik JT-6 NLGI no2. (see link below). Obviously I now know that Moly was specified, but I have never really received an answer as to the level of servicability for this grease in that application. If anyone has an opinion I am all ears.

The real reason I am posting is to ask if there is a way to add moly without dissasembling the axle again. There is an inspection port which can be used to add grease. I have two thoughts. My first thought is to add Moly Disulfide powder (see link below for specs), possibly mixed with some of Mystic JT-6 MP in a grease gun chamber in order to get the moly spec reqired. The worry here is if this will actually do anything, or if this may be detrimental for some reason. The second thought is to add some Mystic JT-6 with Moly. The concern here is if the mixing of these two greases will cause any detrimental separation (or any other problems).

Thanks for reading (and helping if you can).

-Bob

Here is a link to the moly powder I mentioned.
http://www.microlubrol.com/krytoxgpl205lubricantgrease-2oz57gmtube-4-3-3-1-1-2-3-1.aspx

Here is the link to the Mystik JT-6 MP grease that I used, followed by the Mystik JT-6 with Moly;
https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/GREASE/665005002

https://www.mystiklubes.com/do/product/GREASE/665056002

I'd get the Mystik with Moly and add it , your not going to like the results adding powdered moly to grease.

grease is blended with specific components and additives to make them chemically stable, amongst many other properties.

I wouldn't add Moly powder to MP grease if I'm not sure it's compatible to begin with.

I'd strongly recommend you to rinse the old grease off with solvent and repack it with the correct type of CV grease.

Q.

I recently rebuilt the CV joints on my 4Runner so I'll comment.

I think to do it "properly" you need to clean everything out and use the proper grease rather than adding moly powder. You really have no idea if the moly will combine with the existing grease properly. Also, the moly powder you linked to does not mention that it is safe for wheel bearing use. It seems to be more so for doors, hinges, and etc...so perhaps the particles might be too large for bearings. But for practical purposes, does it make sense to strip everything down again to use a moly based grease? Maybe not, as the Mystik stuff is already pretty good quality.

One interesting thing I noticed on my 4Runner CV was that the inner joint utilized a different grease than the outers. The outers were clearly a moly based grease while the inners had a more liquid-y property to them. The reason behind this is due to the fact that the inner CVs have needle bearings, which require a grease suitable for bearing applications. Moly (especially that moly powder in your link) might tack up and not lubricate properly. So make sure you use an NGLI GC-LB type grease for BOTH chassis and bearing applications.

When I rebuilt my CVs I used whatever grease they included in the package with the new boots. I did top off my inner CV grease with some moly EP grease, but I realized the grease I use was rated only for chassis and not bearing applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back