Can A Differential be Overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the midst of changing the rear-end gear oil on my 4wd Tacoma. The manual spec says 4WD models and PreRunner 3.12 qt. (2.95 L, 2.60 Imp.qt.)

I am up to about 3.5 quarts, and it still hasn't spilled out of the fill port yet.

Should I follow the spec of 3.12, or fill until it spills out?

I did jack the car to one side, and then the other to make sure the old oil drained from the axle housing. Maybe that would account for it?

So, fill port or Toyota spec?

Need the FSM for that one. Some cars I've owned are "to the fill port" while some are "specified amount of fluid" which ends up being below the fill port...

Make sure it's on flat ground fill till it runs out i think when you jaked up the side is what did it.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I am in the midst of changing the rear-end gear oil on my 4wd Tacoma. The manual spec says 4WD models and PreRunner 3.12 qt. (2.95 L, 2.60 Imp.qt.)

I am up to about 3.5 quarts, and it still hasn't spilled out of the fill port yet.

I did jack the car to one side, and then the other to make sure the old oil drained from the axle housing. Maybe that would account for it?

Look up on the Amsoil website for your vehicle and then the capacity section. For my Dodge Ram there was a specific mention of 1/2" BELOW fill hole.

I would not go just by quantity. If your removed the cover and wiped it clean you make take more than by just pumping it out and filling.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Look up on the Amsoil website for your vehicle and then the capacity section. For my Dodge Ram there was a specific mention of 1/2" BELOW fill hole.

I would not go just by quantity. If your removed the cover and wiped it clean you make take more than by just pumping it out and filling.

The website says 6.1 pints, or just about 3 quarts.

I can stick my pinky in and feel it right below the surface, so I am there. I am going to call it good. If further info comes to light, I can always drain off a pint.

I wouldn't think that you could overfill a diff in any way that would cause harm.
The gears are supposed to be partially submerged and it isn't as though you'd have counterweights whipping through the oil.

Underfilled or Overfilled by a small amount is no big deal.

However, if OVERFILLED by a LOT it will cause weird stuff will happen, foaming and blowing out seals are the 2 bad ones I can think of.

In both my F150 and Nissan Xterra I read the manual and got as close as possible.
I used Amsoil in my F15o and Valvoline Dura-Blend, don't remember the specific weights.

Originally Posted By: Donald

The website says 6.1 pints, or just about 3 quarts.

I can stick my pinky in and feel it right below the surface, so I am there. I am going to call it good. If further info comes to light, I can always drain off a pint.

Given no specific instructions on the Amsoil website, fill till it comes out. Level vehicle of course.

For my vehicle I wonder how they expect someone to get the level 1/2" below the fill hole. Can't get a tape measure in there.

Amsoils Ace is their Website. They do Know their drivetrain components and therefore have very accurate Fill recommendations. I would use their Website and Nothing else. Best things in Life are Free, Right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back