POE Oils for R-410a vs R-134a/R-12

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Are these oils the same? POE is readily available for R-12 and R-134a systems, but I dont see it as much for the R-410a systems.

Im really just wanting a little to tighten some flares on a lineset, but stocking one oil that I can use to top up oil in auto AC systems would be good, since I know that I have at least one receiver dryer to replace, and who knows what the future brings...

So having only one POE that I can use for a few things would be optimal...

That web site specifically states that the 100 is compatible with the R-410a. If I recall correctly, GM used to recommend using ISO 100 ester for all retrofits of R-12 to R134a on their cars. Maybe that one would work. It also has this:
Quote:
Technical Support

203-714-8674 - Naugatuck, CT
732-738-3526 - Fords, NJ

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Are these oils the same? POE is readily available for R-12 and R-134a systems, but I dont see it as much for the R-410a systems.

Im really just wanting a little to tighten some flares on a lineset, but stocking one oil that I can use to top up oil in auto AC systems would be good, since I know that I have at least one receiver dryer to replace, and who knows what the future brings...

So having only one POE that I can use for a few things would be optimal...

Higher viscosity POEs are generally used for R-410a systems, but the ester chemistry is similar. POEs are the preferred oil for both R-134a and R-410a systems.

Tom NJ

Auto AC typically took a 500-550 SUS viscosity dewaxed mineral oil back in the r-12 days.

What interests me is POEs apparent compatibility with both mineral oil as well as R-12, and of course r-420a for stationary applications.

The viscosity is a good point... 550 SUS is roughly ISO 100, but not sure what r-410 takes.

Doesn't matter much though -I'm not adding lubricant to the 410 system, just want compatibility if some gets in. Don't want to be creating acids or byproducts if some come in.

POEs are generally universally compatible with refrigerants and lubricants, which is why they are used in systems where cross contamination with unknown residual refrigerants and lubricants is possible.

Tom NJ

POEs also work a lot better with the refigerants in industrial systems. It's amazing what a switch to a good POE will do for a system that's running something inferior. Although there are certain POE blends that do well in other unique refrigeration applications like low-temp ammonia systems. Their solubility and miscibility is a lot better with them. I've seen some guys continue to try to run a hydrocarbon oil on a retrofit and they had major separation issues... Similar stuff happens with flooded evap guys for things like chillers.

From what I've seen, a lot of guys run PAGs in auto-a/c systems. POEs are really expensive and usually the industrial guys stick to them.

R410a is a blend with R134a in it, so if an oil works for one it will work for the other. Do what fits your budget best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back