2000 Dodge Neon Under the hood Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
So two weekends ago, at 110K, I changed my original spark plugs to NGKs Iridium IX, seal to the valve cover and the dry rot caps to the valve cover bolts & spark plugs housing. Oh and changed the hose to the radiator reservoir.

Engine used Valvoline White Bottles for most of its life and oil changes averaged at 8000 miles. Now using Mobil 1 HM at 5K intervals with Napa Platinum filter at 10K intervals.

P1000117.JPG

P1000119.JPG

P1000121.JPG

P1000123.JPG

P1000129.JPG

P1000130.JPG

P1000131.JPG

Looks good.. Those 2 litres are great little engines, I had a 2L Magnum in my R/T and that engine took relentless abuse and never skipped a beat.

She will love the maintenance she is getting!

I'm impressed.
I would of expected much worse.

I knew girls in college who had these, and I've always wondered how they did on very long very periodic oil changes.

Now I know.
Good stuff!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Hi. My name is varnish.
grin.gif

It's just the color of oil... don't pay no attention
grin.gif

Mainly since it leaks and want to see how much loss there is.
2nd, is to start taking/getting Oil Analysis Reports
3rd, is to see how much M1 can clean up the amber varnish in two years with OCIs.
4th, it is 95*F at midnight and we only get 3 weeks of winter here.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Chrysler always made some good engines...

***Correction***
Chrysler always buys some good engines from Japan...

Nice pictures. Plenty of varnish but probably still runs well. My mother's has always been a little rough compared to the 2.4L in their Previa, or the 1.8 in my BMW, bu it has always been a willing little engine pushing a fairly large car (plymouth breeze). They routinely get 33 MPG on highway trips with 160+k miles.

Thanks for posting - the only thing Id say is to try a little Kreen or MMO and see if it solves some of that varnish. If not, no worries, IMO.

285south, like around Columbus, GA?

sorry but that doesn't look that nice to me. If my engine looked like that, i would either shorten oci with conventional or switch to a high detergent syn and run 7-8k.

Mobil HM is good but i would stretch it out a little more and probably change the filter when i changed the oil. with that varnish and sludge, the mobil will begin to clean and the filter will probably need to be changed at the same time.

That varnish would bother the OCD side in me, but at least there's no sludge! IIRC, some members here have mentioned that Mobil HM is a decent cleaning oil. It will probably start eating away at the varnish, albeit slowly.

Consider paying attention to the entire cooling system - that is 1000x more of a current threat than the varnish.

At the very least, consider checking upper/lower radiator hoses, replace thermostat and rad cap. If you're up for it, drain the radiator to get good look in there.

Good work so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back