Excessive ripple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle's a '97 Suburban C2500 with the 454. The voltage reading on the ScanGauge-II would fluctuate between 12.6V - 13.3V, depending on whether or not the lights and air conditioning were turned on, so I decided to have it tested. Here are the results:

spdf01.jpg

The battery is an Optima Red Top, and I'm not sure if the alternator has been replaced before, but I'm lead to believe this has something to do with the diodes in the alternator? Am I looking at a new alternator? Are diodes sold separately?

Yep bad diodes. AC current is getting through and into the electrical system.

Apologies in advance for taking the thread off topic but when I saw the subject line I immediately thought of Fred Sanford (Champipple anyone)

Back to the subject at hand

Generally alternators can be dismantled and overhauled. Some easily, some a lot harder.
Before you rip into one, make sure you can get components like diode packs (bunch of diodes on heat sinks), bearings, brushes.
I prefer to do them myself, but if parts aren't available I go for a recon one. Variable product though, had one short out soon after installing and it's replacement was assembled wrongly so the main mounting point didn't line up. Pain in the *BEEP*. Worth checking warranty on a recon.

Good you found the ripple output problem though, before it created other hard-to-trace electronic problems.

Last edited:
Yep bad Alternator. Is there alternator/starter rebuild shops in Kuwait? That might be one option if the cost for a reman parts store or dealership unit is prohibitively expensive. What is the Parts industry like in Kuwait anyways ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back