AMSOIL Friction Modifiers free oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
MSG I sent to the AMSOIL tech department

I have a 2008 Suzuki Hayabusa and I have a few questions about different oils in Amsoil line up. I know that Amsoil offers some motorcycle specific oils but I want to know what other oils Amsoil offer that do not have friction modifiers added. HDEO are widely used in shared sump bikes with no clutch problems. Is Amsoil HEDO FM free? I am a member of bobistheoilguy.com and questions like this come up often. Is it possible to provide a list of oils that are FM free? If not, here are a few that I am interested in.

European Car Formula 5W-40 full saps

DOMINATOR 10W-30 & 15w-50 Racing Oil. (Has FM)

Z-ROD 10W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil

Heavy-Duty Diesel and Marine Motor OilSAE 15W- 40

Series 3000 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil

Thanks

AMSOIL REPLY

Kelvin,

The only product you mentioned that contains friction modifiers are the Dominator racing oils.

Best Regards,

Technical Service Representative

Just in case you guys wanted to try out other flavors of Amsoil

Last edited:
When I spoke to the Amsoil engineers regarding oil for our gixxer 1000 and 600 track bikes I wanted to use Dominater but the motorcycle oil was better for my application.

The 20W-50 is stout stuff, Sunrah tested it and had noting negative to say.

I switched from Rotella 15-40 to Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil to help the shearing problem in my Shadow 1100. It helped that problem and as an added bonus after 500 miles the clutch grabs much firmer now. The clutch feels totally different - it engages much faster with no slipping. I now believe there is a strong case for using a motorcycle specific oil. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Rotella, I just believe the Amsoil is better. Roger

i wouldnt say amsoil is "better" as a blanket statement.
if you compare price...those 500 more miles came at a big cost.
some on here (mkilroy is 1) think SRT makes for a grabby clutch and dont like it. so your weak/slipping clutch with SRT seems opposite of most.
not all oils work in all bikes, but SRT has a long record of working in most.

kjack, use the amsoils with confidence. just be sure to wear your parachute on that rocket!

steve

I would think that while Amsoil HDEO's don't have friction modifiers, they also might have less anti-foam additive than their motorcycle specific MCF and MCV oils? That's the main reason I lean toward motorcycle specific oils is a focus on foam resistance is (or should) be one of the objectives when they formulated the oil. HTHS is a bit higher on their 10W40 (MCF) than their 15W40 and 5W40 HDEO. Also read on here that while both their HDEO and motorcycle specific oils are PAO/Ester blends, the motorcycle formulations have a higher ratio of Ester to PAO than the HDEO's. Something to consider for off-season down time since Ester's polarity should allow a little more oil to stay on the metal during periods of non-use? It was in a post a few yrs old, however, so it is possible the blend ratios could have changed with formulation changes since then.

I contacted Amsoil a couple years ago regarding Z-Rod 10W-30. They told me at that time that it had extensive friction modifiers in it, and was not suitable for use in wet clutches. Perhaps this has changed? Can someone confirm/deny?

About friction modifiers...they aren't all equal. Schaeffer has their #707 20W-50 motorcycle oil with the JASO MA-2 cert, and the data sheet lists two friction modifiers, Micron Moly® and Penetro®.

The used oil analysis for Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 shows at least one friction modifer, moly, again JASO MA certified.

About friction modifiers...they aren't all equal. Schaeffer has their #707 20W-50 motorcycle oil with the JASO MA-2 cert, and the data sheet lists two friction modifiers, Micron Moly® and Penetro®.

The used oil analysis for Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 shows at least one friction modifer, moly, again JASO MA certified.

Technically speaking there is no oil either FM free or with FM that will
defeat a wet clutch in good working order... what is confusing the
issue is the fact that all motorcycle wet clutches will reach a point
in their life and start to slip... no one complains about clutch slip
when the bike is new... but on about the 27K to 57K range is when
containments may build up to point where the clutch begins to loose
its grip... this is usually discovered by the owner during WFO (Wide
Fooking Open)throttle like at a track day... in error one can blame
the oil but its really the contaminants on the clutch plates...

Redline motorcycle oil contains moly as well, they surely know more than almost everyone. its nice that you can talk to a tech at redline unlike most others. on my lower revving victory 106 i use amsoil premium synthetic, its a little thinner hot, HTHS is a little less + noack though great is also a little higher, TBN is a bit higher on the 20-50 premium. both excellent shear stable real synthetics with their numerous benefits!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rraiderr
When I spoke to the Amsoil engineers regarding oil for our gixxer 1000 and 600 track bikes I wanted to use Dominater but the motorcycle oil was better for my application.

The 20W-50 is stout stuff, Sunrah tested it and had noting negative to say.

And that in itself says volumes to me.
As far as bike oils go sunruh is the man

Quote:
on my lower revving victory 106 i use amsoil premium synthetic, its a little thinner hot, HTHS is a little less + noack though great is also a little higher, TBN is a bit higher on the 20-50 premium. both excellent shear stable real synthetics with their numerous benefits!

What the heck is Amsoil Premium Synthetic or the 20-50 premium???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back