Help me!! Dealer used 5w-30 instead of 0w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so I've posted a few times about my new to me Camry. I bought the car from a Chevrolet dealership and my salesman told me the oil was changed right before it was put on the lot. At the time, I wasn't real concerned bc I had other things on my mind trying to get the deal I wanted (which I did :))...so now I got out the paperwork that he sent with me and read that the oil that was put in is "dexos 5w30" ...typical for a Chevy dealer, I get it.
But my car specs 0w20! Should I change out this oil asap? I know my car isn't going to blow up, but just thinking about the performance/fuel losses.

Don't worry, its only the receipt that says "dexos 5w-30" what they actually put in could be much worse. BOO!

Just kidding, 5w-30 won't make any difference to hp, mpg or longevity in that car in TX. Sounds like a nice ride, enjoy.

Oh yeah...
15.gif

The 5W-30 is just heavier than necessary that's all.
Come the winter I'd change it out in favour of TGMO 0W-20.
Just so you know, TGMO is 50% lighter at room temperature and even more so at colder temp's.
So once you do change out the 5W-30, if you go with TGMO you will notice the difference in performance when the engine is cold and during warm-up, I guarantee it.
It's something to look forward to.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
The 5W-30 is just heavier than necessary that's all.
Come the winter I'd change it out in favour of TGMO 0W-20.
Just so you know, TGMO is 50% lighter at room temperature and even more so at colder temp's.
So once you do change out the 5W-30, if you go with TGMO you will notice the difference in performance when the engine is cold and during warm-up, I guarantee it.
It's something to look forward to.

There is no winter in Houston. And if there is, it's something that they talk about for the next 20 years as it were a legend.

Alright, thanks for the piece of mind guys. I know it won't hurt anything, but I just hate the thought of something being in there isn't "supposed" to be. I'm gonna call the local Toyota dealer tomorrow and see if they have any TGMO and what the price is. If this weather gets better (flooding rains right now in Houston) I may change it out tomorrow.

Originally Posted By: RN89
Alright, thanks for the piece of mind guys. I know it won't hurt anything, but I just hate the thought of something being in there isn't "supposed" to be. I'm gonna call the local Toyota dealer tomorrow and see if they have any TGMO and what the price is. If this weather gets better (flooding rains right now in Houston) I may change it out tomorrow.

Everyone just told you that its fine but you're going to change it anyway? Why did you ask?

Alright, thanks for the piece of mind guys. I know it won't hurt anything, but I just hate the thought of something being in there isn't "supposed" to be.

You've got to be joking. Dexos1 5W30 means that it's a fairly light (fuel efficient) 5W30 anyway. I can't see what you're worried about.

BTW. 5W30 is the recommended oil for that car here in Australia. So I'm pretty sure it's also just fine in Texas too.

I think that's a good move. Your 2012 Camry V6 is spec'd for 0W-20 only: Toyota Oil Chart

It doesn't have to be TGMO from a dealer (but the TGMO is probably the best), you can use Mobil 1, Pennzoil, etc. as long as it is a SN ILSAC-GF5 certified synthetic 0W-20.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Everyone just told you that its fine but you're going to change it anyway? Why did you ask?

Hehehe I 2nd that!

If fuel losses are your concern, I cannot see where the cost of an additional oil change will be offset by fuel gains. If the weight really concerns you, drain 1/2 qt and replace w/ MMO. It'll be 20wt and maybe you'll get a little cleaning benefit.

I wouldn't worry. If anything coming this winter and it starts to make a little noise change it to 0W20 to make you feel better.

Originally Posted By: tstep
If fuel losses are your concern, I cannot see where the cost of an additional oil change will be offset by fuel gains. If the weight really concerns you, drain 1/2 qt and replace w/ MMO. It'll be 20wt and maybe you'll get a little cleaning benefit.

That will work just fine. Or leave the current fill in for 3,000 miles and dump it, that's if it really bothers you. In any event no harm will come to your engine with 5W30 in it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That Toyota engine is toast.
grin2.gif

Yep, dexo1 5w30 in Texas. That horrible "thick stuff" will wreck the engine for sure. If it were me I'd replace the whole engine, but it's probably worth at least having a go at completely flushing it out first.

- Start by draining and filling with a good 4w28 (get Caterham's advice for blending these intermediate weights).

- Then repeat the process with a 3w26 and again with 2w24 and so on until you get it down to 0w20.

- Make sure you only run it for 15 seconds maximum with each successive flush or God only knows what damage could be done.

- Also, between each flush make sure you polish the dipstick vigorously for at least 30 minutes with Liqui-moly MOS on a lint free rag. This step is vital!

wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back