2005 Focus with manual tranny....bit of noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
My youngest son just got a 2005 Focus ZX5 with only 112K km (65K miles) and he says there is a slight whine when speeding up or on coasting down....cruise is fine . I suggested he try a synthetic lube in it , one in part to maybe help the noise but the 2nd reason he is in the northern part of Ontario and they will be getting some cold temps in the winter so it should make shifting better .

Any suggestions on what might help the noise and be a suitable gear oil for that tranny ?

Does that trans use ATF? Our Saturn calls for ATF, I'm running Amsoil Synchromesh in it and it works great.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Does that trans use ATF? Our Saturn calls for ATF, I'm running Amsoil Synchromesh in it and it works great.

Uses a 75-90 type .

I've heard Redline has a good gear oil .

Just wondering if anyone has resolved a bit of gear noise with a different lube ?

noise in son's car is slight so just looking for someone who might have had the same problem and found something that helped .

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Motorcraft synthetic gear oil is actually very good, although pricey, but unlike other synthetic offerings is readily available at any Ford dealership.

I had a slight whine as well, plus the previous owner was a jiffy lube customer, so who knows what they had put in, so I bit the bullet and bought the motorcraft fluid. Almost no whine and shifts better now and I won't change it again for 100000km. Worth the $50.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Motorcraft synthetic gear oil is actually very good, although pricey, but unlike other synthetic offerings is readily available at any Ford dealership.

I had a slight whine as well, plus the previous owner was a jiffy lube customer, so who knows what they had put in, so I bit the bullet and bought the motorcraft fluid. Almost no whine and shifts better now and I won't change it again for 100000km. Worth the $50.

This may be the issue with this car . It has a speedy lube or some sticker of the sort on it so the tranny lube may have been changed out to brand X by the previous owner by a lube shop .
Engine oil had about 1800 km to go according to the sticker and was very clean so it appears to have had regular oil changes , plus what I could see through the oil cap looked very good too .
I advised him to go with a 0W20 for the winter (commutes about 80km per day) and I'll mention changing out the tranny lube to the Ford Motorcraft synthetic .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back