how are Dodge Chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cp3
Dart II? Is that just in reference to the original? My son is trying to get his hands on a Mopar edition if not an SRT if they bring them out.

Dodge actually labels the new Fiat the Dart II, just few ever use the "II" part.

I have folks in SRT that are not allowed to speak in specifics but they have dropped some amazing hints about the upcoming SRT version.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
We have over 700 ('07-'13's)Chargers in our Fleet. For the most part they have been good cars for us. There have been some issues but those have been corrected by Dodge over the last few years. Our biggest issue has been the brakes. The pads and rotors only last us about 5k to 7k miles, but that is in police service so typical civilian service may be considerably different. Dodge told us just a few weeks ago the '14 model will have a new and improved larger brake package.
In comparison the '05-'07 Chevrolet Impalas cost us about .27 cents a mile to operate and the Chargers are running about .19 cents a mile. The old Crown Vic's were right at .16 cents a mile. We replace our cars around 100k miles and when the Impalas reached 100k they were absolutely done for. The Chargers have rolled right on past the 100k without many issues at all.

Hope this helps.

It does.

Can you provide an approximate representation of the numbers for Hemi vs. V6 models?

We have over 700 ('07-'13's)Chargers in our Fleet. For the most part they have been good cars for us. There have been some issues but those have been corrected by Dodge over the last few years. Our biggest issue has been the brakes. The pads and rotors only last us about 5k to 7k miles, but that is in police service so typical civilian service may be considerably different. Dodge told us just a few weeks ago the '14 model will have a new and improved larger brake package.
In comparison the '05-'07 Chevrolet Impalas cost us about .27 cents a mile to operate and the Chargers are running about .19 cents a mile. The old Crown Vic's were right at .16 cents a mile. We replace our cars around 100k miles and when the Impalas reached 100k they were absolutely done for. The Chargers have rolled right on past the 100k without many issues at all.

Hope this helps.

My first thought was, dang that's a big jump in running cost. Then I realized inflation has to account for some of that. Sounds like if you got the brakes under control it might be similar to the Vic?

I don't know where my son is getting his info, just around the net but I know he's mentioned the AWD as well. Should be interesting, nice car inside, have not drove one yet though.

Not too happy to hear about brake issues, have enough of them on the G6, don't need more! I have already thought about upgrading to the rear vented rotors, maybe I should wait and see what's on the '14!

Fiat could be Chrysler's savior or their executioner. This article is already pointing to the latter by 2016 LINK. Let's wait and see.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: GenSan
If I want American muscle my money will go to Ford or Chevy and stay Stateside. Sorry Dodge(Fiat&Italy). Car Brands - Who Owns What?

I've been driving foreign made cars for years, all 4 of my grand caravans were made in Canada......

Wayne

thumbsup2.gif

Out of blue, my wife tells me that she likes Charger! Our town police car are Chargers. If I had known that, I would have definitely considered 300/Charger twin when I had the chance to get a new car last year in that segment. I ruled it out even without sitting inside which now I regret.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Hope this helps.

It does.

Can you provide an approximate representation of the numbers for Hemi vs. V6 models?

They are all V6's.

Originally Posted By: supton
My first thought was, dang that's a big jump in running cost. Then I realized inflation has to account for some of that. Sounds like if you got the brakes under control it might be similar to the Vic?

Inflation really doesn't factor much because our purchase cost on both vehicles was almost the same from 2006 though 2012. They have been operated side by side and the fuel cost per mile was pretty steady across the board. I will have to find the comparison project I completed back in February to get the fuel data.
What probably negatively effects the Impalas more is that most of the repairs were under warranty and recall work that did not contribute to costs but certainly negatively affected downtime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
They are a nice ride - I know a real estate agent that has a 2011 Charger and loves it. Gas mileage and ability to go in snow might be considerations.

My Magnum RT managed 20-23MPG...and with a set of Winterforce tires, it was absolutely unstoppable, limited only by ground clearance.

I know someone with a 2006 Charger RT with 270,000+ miles...it has been absolutely bulletproof, and he does NOT drive gently. (It turned 200K at 100MPH!)

I think buying new, it's hard to go wrong with a Charger. IMO, it's the most well rounded new full size domestic out there. The V8 and the transmission are good. The Pentastar V6 might be a little bit of a gamble still, but probably no more so than the Ecoboost in the Taurus.

Just be careful if you happen to look at used ones. They are popular hood cars. You should be able to tell if one was hooptied up pretty easily though...it's hard to hide chameleon paint and 22s.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: bigt61
They are a nice ride - I know a real estate agent that has a 2011 Charger and loves it. Gas mileage and ability to go in snow might be considerations.

My Magnum RT managed 20-23MPG...and with a set of Winterforce tires, it was absolutely unstoppable, limited only by ground clearance.

I know someone with a 2006 Charger RT with 270,000+ miles...it has been absolutely bulletproof, and he does NOT drive gently. (It turned 200K at 100MPH!)

A real estate agent in Arizone drove his 2005 SRT8 over 250k miles in about 6 years. He is known due to sandblasting his paint off the car running it at 170 mph all day (against the stock limiter) with his buddy who also had the same car!

He repaired a pinion bearing that got noisy. Other than that it was maintenance, tires, etc.

Last edited:
Hey Steve,
As you are in the know with the LXs, any chance that you have a contact to find out what the oil PIDs are for the Pentastar?

Sorry to miss you here.

Nope, got nuttin' on the Pstar as it is just too new and Chrysler has really clammed up lately!

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer

Acttually the Toyota Tundra and the F-150 are about equal.

Turns out a basic Mustang 3.7L can generally beat the Dodges around the track. Having a 350 pound 305 hp motor basically turns the 'Stang into a mid-engine car, with all the handling advantages that that entails. http://media.caranddriver.com/files/lightning-lap-2012-plotting-performance.pdf

While the modern Stang is a tremendous performance bargain that's with the Dodges/Chryslers on all season tires! Hardly representative.

I've posted videos here of my friend Pat racing his virtually stock 300C in Canada at Callabogie passing RACE PREPPED mustangs. And comparing 2 door sports cars against 4 door full size sedans is a bit much anyway.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Hey Steve,
As you are in the know with the LXs, any chance that you have a contact to find out what the oil PIDs are for the Pentastar?

Sorry to miss you here.

Nope, got nuttin' on the Pstar as it is just too new and Chrysler has really clammed up lately!

No problem Steve. That is what I've been reading too. I believe I even read that the plug in tuner manufaturers are having a hard time breaking some of the new ECMs. I think I even read a quote somewhere that so far Chrysler is the only one that can get into it. Maybe my son can get me some info when he gets back to the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back