Amsoil grease oil separation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been running amsoil synthetic multi purpose grease for a few months now. Ive noticed ever since I switched over to it I'm getting quite a bit of oil dripping out of my grease gun.

Never had this problem before with any other grease. I'm kinda disappointed by it!

Anyone else ever have this problem with this grease?

Originally Posted By: CDX825
Ive been running amsoil synthetic multi purpose grease for a few months now. Ive noticed ever since I switched over to it I'm getting quite a bit of oil dripping out of my grease gun.

Never had this problem before with any other grease. I'm kinda disappointed by it!

What kind of grease gun? Is there still pressure on the gun? Never heard of seen this happening with the multipurpose grease.

Yes I had the same exact problem a few years back with it. A lot of separation, even after pulling the rod out on the grease gun to relieve pressure.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Yes I had the same exact problem a few years back with it. A lot of separation, even after pulling the rod out on the grease gun to relieve pressure.

Actually you had issues with the Series 2000 grease if recall correctly. Never heard of the Amsoil Multipurpose grease having separation issues.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Actually you had issues with the Series 2000 grease if recall correctly. Never heard of the Amsoil Multipurpose grease having separation issues.

Yes you're right! I was trying to remember exactly grease it was, thanks. I was under the impression it was a multi-purpose grease that was excellent for wheel bearings, which is what I bought it for. I was told at the time I was the only person ever to have a problem with that grease and it was supposed to be one of their best.

Last edited:
My experience has been that ALL grease will seperate at least a little bit. Pull the rod if it makes you feel better but I don't seem to notice that helping. Just put some rags under and around your grease gun and take note of which grease seems to drip the least.

I am currently using valvoline synpower and it shows an average amout of seperation. So far green grease and CRC new generation wheel bearing grease seemed to seperate the least out of all I have tried. Mobil 1 seemed to be about the worst.... YMMV

Its a lincoln 1134 and this is with the pressure still on the gun.

Just back the pressure off while sitting.

496209-20121005003749-lincoln-1134-pistol-grip-grease-gun.jpg

What kind of grease gun? Is there still pressure on the gun? Never heard of seen this happening with the multipurpose grease.

It sure does, I have the NLGI No. 2 in my gun and it drips, but as stated above I don't think any grease is immune to the oil and thickener separating.

Last edited:
Tig- That is a good read, thank you for the link! That makes me feel better about the greases I have been trying lately. I will probably stick to valvoline synpower or CRC new generation if I don't want the moly.

I've noticed it with Amsoil and Schaeffers. But I don't really use anything else
laugh.gif

Yeah - grease separating can be a good and bad thing. Think of grease as highly additized oil in a sponge. When you apply pressure to the sponge, the oil comes out and does its job.

All greases use different kinds of binder. Too much or too little can happen pretty easily and really affect the performance of the grease. Same with using an insufficient binder.

My guess is it's either a bad batch or bad grease all together. If you're storing it with pressure on the gun - then that's also contributing a good bit to your issue. Try reducing the pressure that you store the gun with. If you still get significant bleed - switch greases.

Originally Posted By: camelCase
Yeah - grease separating can be a good and bad thing. Think of grease as highly additized oil in a sponge. When you apply pressure to the sponge, the oil comes out and does its job.

All greases use different kinds of binder. Too much or too little can happen pretty easily and really affect the performance of the grease. Same with using an insufficient binder.

My guess is it's either a bad batch or bad grease all together. If you're storing it with pressure on the gun - then that's also contributing a good bit to your issue. Try reducing the pressure that you store the gun with. If you still get significant bleed - switch greases.

Try reading my post on page 1, and the link from XM.

Not sure what it was called, but I had red Amsoil grease that dripped heavily out of the gun. It got so hard that it wouldn't pump out of the gun.
Not what I pay a premium price to see.

Originally Posted By: tgw323
Not sure what it was called, but I had red Amsoil grease that dripped heavily out of the gun. It got so hard that it wouldn't pump out of the gun.
Not what I pay a premium price to see.

That's exactly what I said about their Series 2000 grease when it happened to me, I didn't expect it from a premium product. I would call my problem with it a lot worse than a drip. I caught some heat posting about it here, and changed to Red Line grease. So far so good.

Yes you're right! I was trying to remember exactly grease it was, thanks. I was under the impression it was a multi-purpose grease that was excellent for wheel bearings, which is what I bought it for. I was told at the time I was the only person ever to have a problem with that grease and it was supposed to be one of their best.

If you were the only person to have a problem with the Series 2000, then I would have to be the second person then.
This was around ten years ago or so, before I started pulling back on the rod to relieve the pressure after using the grease gun. It was because of this experience that I started doing it. I left the pressure with the Series 2000, and after a while I found a little mess where I stored the grease gun. The oil had separated and had dripped out of the gun. Not wanting to waste the remaining grease, and because it was supposed to be so good, I used it anyway, but I shouldn't have, as I found out later. I won't go into all the details, but basically there wasn't enough oil left in the grease to provide proper lubrication, and the results weren't pretty. Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back