Help selecting a remote start kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Mitsubishi did not come from the factory with a keyless entry system, and whilst I was in the UK, I grabbed an Italian Cobra A1046 keyless entry kit. This is what Mitsubishi dealers in the UK were installing as factory equipment at the time and it wasn't a cheap unit. Could still be the case now, I don't know.

The fobs were shock sensitive, and the reason both fobs failed. Given the unit is 13 years old, I decided I would upgrade and get a kit with remote start (this vehicle does not have coded ignition keys). Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a basic kit:

- No iPhone or i anything integration for that matter
- No fancy fobs with screens/antennas (should be as basic as possible with a lock/unlock and start button) and ridiculously long range capabilities
- Preferably Made in USA
- No alarms - just keyless entry and remote start

Thanks!
thumbsup2.gif

Get one with a button for lock and unlock. Not a single button with one press or 2 press.

The best are sold by installers. Some you buy on Amazon (Viper) do not come with in the install manual. You have to be an authorized installer to get the install manual. Use top quality connectors.

Are you considering doing it yourself?

I've been installing for years, and I prefer either DEI units or Audiovox. I've had great success with both through the years. The newer dei units are a little smaller and "cleaner" I guess you could say but they both are very high quality. I could recommend a unit with desperate lock/unlock buttons because they are easier and less likely to be left in the wrong state.

if your car is under warranty i would not install a remote starter kit..

Reason is anything that goes wrong with your car the stealer will blame on your install...

If an aftermarket remote start kit became available that was "plug and play', then I'd get one.

But as long as the aftermarket kits have to be spliced in to a car's wiring harness... I'm not interested.

I've seen the nightmares that result when a car's wiring harness is compromised. My Dad's boss bought a car brand new that had wiring issues. I'm convinced that the harness was pinched somewhere, or possibly a bad ground.

The factory alarm would go off at random. The power door locks would lock/unlock the doors on their own, the instrument panel would go dead while going down the road...

If a 13 year old Parejo is under warranty I'd be surprised...

I'd look at Viper (which is DEI). Keyless and remote, don't have to do security.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
If an aftermarket remote start kit became available that was "plug and play', then I'd get one.

But as long as the aftermarket kits have to be spliced in to a car's wiring harness... I'm not interested.

I've seen the nightmares that result when a car's wiring harness is compromised. My Dad's boss bought a car brand new that had wiring issues. I'm convinced that the harness was pinched somewhere, or possibly a bad ground.

The factory alarm would go off at random. The power door locks would lock/unlock the doors on their own, the instrument panel would go dead while going down the road...

Remote start units don't cause wiring damage. Most newer vehicles only require a couple of wires to be installed to interface with the bus system. Also, with the use of T-Taps you really aren't compromising any of the factory wiring.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
even if they were not at fault the dealers sometimes say they are to try and get out of paying...

That totally depends on the dealer.

I have a brand-new Python 5706p that I could sell you, that would fit all of your requirements.

Unfortunately, most of the long-range units are going to have the fancier remotes, but luckily, they are rechargeable. Don't buy into the 1-mile range though....500 ft is more realistic (unless you're in an open field).

I gave up on the long-range units and just upgraded to Viper Smartstart. It was worth every penny and makes perfect sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back