Selling car privately. required to check buyer DL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am attempting to sell the Accord privately. Some calls to the classified were from people who had "International License/Permit" but were in the process of applying or going to apply for the state license soon. At first I was hesitant but really do I need to care in what license status will the buyer be driving the car ? On the other extreme, is the buyer even required by law to verify that the buyer has a valid driver's license ? because even if I wanted to, how would I ?
State is MN if that matters.

Another question - who actually does the title transfer ? The buyer or the seller ? Do I just give the buyer the original title and registration and they deal with it ? Or should I (seller) be taking care of it ?

normally, as far as the title goes, there should be a place for the seller to sign off that they've sold it, and the buyer then takes it to the title dept. (@ least that's how it's worked for me here in Ohio.)

I'd personally be concerned. Id want I'd and proof of insurance from anyone. Just because someone dumped some cash on you and took your signed title doesn't mean that they won't keep driving it and them have "lost" the title and claim they were borrowing the car or something.

Some states the plates stay with the car, obviously it's easier to avoid this if you pull the plates.

Still. Worrisome.

I don't know the answers to your specific questions, but let me throw something out there. If you let an unlicensed driver drive your car (test drive before purchase), and there is an accident, your insurance probably won't cover it.

The title transfer process varies by state. In SD, I would sign and date the title, and the buyer would be responsible for the actual transfer. The only other thing I would do is to print out temp (paper) plates and tape them in the front and back windows, until the buyer can transfer the title and get it registered.

In CT, I sign over the title, take the plates off the car and keep the registration. Also make an ad hoc bill of sale (which is legal in CT) saying you are selling the car to so and so, for x dollars, y miles on it, as is, no implied warranty. Do this at the buyers house, no issues.

Last edited:
When I have sold cars privately I ask to see a drivers license before a test drive.

I had one guy tell me that his was suspended and still wanted to do the test drive !!

I assume you should go to a public notary. You should also make sure the title is signed over to the buyer in presence of the notary with a gel pen. No open title funny business that guys who flip old cars often do.

Having just bought a car in IL, I noticed the titles have a receipt on them now. The buyer signs the receipt saying they got the title and that's your proof they bought the car.

I've done the same as others, a bill of sale, I sign the title over to them after I have the cash, we both sign two copies of the BOS, I take my plates and tell them to enjoy the car.

Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable with the customer, decline to show them the car.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'd personally be concerned. Id want I'd and proof of insurance from anyone. Just because someone dumped some cash on you and took your signed title doesn't mean that they won't keep driving it and them have "lost" the title and claim they were borrowing the car or something.

Some states the plates stay with the car, obviously it's easier to avoid this if you pull the plates.

Still. Worrisome.

We don't have "Bill Of Sale" here in NJ to cover transfer of ownership in lieu of or as an indefinite length of time answer to Title transfer, do we? Florida, Ohio do...

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
I am attempting to sell the Accord privately. Some calls to the classified were from people who had "International License/Permit" but were in the process of applying or going to apply for the state license soon. At first I was hesitant but really do I need to care in what license status will the buyer be driving the car ? On the other extreme, is the buyer even required by law to verify that the buyer has a valid driver's license ? because even if I wanted to, how would I ?
State is MN if that matters.

Another question - who actually does the title transfer ? The buyer or the seller ? Do I just give the buyer the original title and registration and they deal with it ? Or should I (seller) be taking care of it ?

I always write a "Bill of Sale" for the vehicle (with price) along with the title. I would have both sign the title and then make a copy for yourself. With the signed Bill of Sale and signed title you have transferred ownership of the vehicle which is the important thing. You do not need to have a drivers license to own a vehicle, nor to you have to have insurance. We are talking owning here which is really all the seller cares about. Registering and driving are different.

You may have the car priced such that its the ideal vehicle for people new to this country. Thus international license.

The OP needs to find out the specific rules in his state. A bunch of posts from people all over the country won't be that helpful.

Whenever I've sold cars I had them sign a bill of sale, removed the plates and called it a day.

If you're worried, do the deal at the DMV or ask the DMV what you need to do to indicate you sold the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The OP needs to find out the specific rules in his state. A bunch of posts from people all over the country won't be that helpful.

Whenever I've sold cars I had them sign a bill of sale, removed the plates and called it a day.

If you're worried, do the deal at the DMV or ask the DMV what you need to do to indicate you sold the vehicle.

Standard practice is that both parties go to DMV at the same time to transfer title then newly titled owner gets new plates or signs their old ones or whatever they do to register.

Like a drug deal... same time.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
In CT, I sign over the title, take the plates off the car and keep the registration. Also make an ad hoc bill of sale (which is legal in CT) saying you are selling the car to so and so, for x dollars, y miles on it, as is, no implied warranty. Do this at the buyers house, no issues.

^ This is pretty much what I did my last go around. You may want to check dmv.org, you can get state specific answers there too.

In NY, IIRC, you are supposed to sign the title, write a bill of sale, take your plates, scrape the registration and inspection, and cancel your insurance. I called my insurance agent and his answer was Bill of Sale and scrape the registration to protect yourself in case of an accident. The buyer may not want to sign the title because they want to flip the car without retitling it, so the bill of sale is important.

Slightly off topic, last time I went to register a used car they asked me if I needed a temp. inspection or if the one on the car I bought was still good. Thought it was funny since I had thought the law was reinspection was needed.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Standard practice is that both parties go to DMV at the same time to transfer title then newly titled owner gets new plates or signs their old ones or whatever they do to register.

Like a drug deal... same time.

Maybe that's standard practice in your area, but not where I'm from.

Originally Posted By: Donald
With the signed Bill of Sale and signed title you have transferred ownership of the vehicle which is the important thing. You do not need to have a drivers license to own a vehicle, nor to you have to have insurance. We are talking owning here which is really all the seller cares about. Registering and driving are different.

You may have the car priced such that its the ideal vehicle for people new to this country. Thus international license.

You make some good points.
I do know that you can drive in MN for a year on an International License and I believe its mostly people how have temporary work permits (like H1B workers from India and such..)

About removing plates - so then the buyer just drives around without plates until they get new plates ? How long does it take to do that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back