Should I use Maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I posted before, my 92 Dodge with 2.5 (152K miles)engine burns (not leaks)a quart every 800 miles. It was suggested to try Maxlife. I have always used dino oil. I see Maxlife is semi synthetic. Is it a good idea to try this considering a synthetic has never been used in this engine? I am afraid of making the problem worse.

Won't hurt a thing and if you don't like it, you can safely go back to dino.

Go for it. You won't hurt a thing. You can even give 10w-40 a try if you don't get sufficient results from 5w-30.

Your consumption isnt alot considering engine and milage....

Maxlife has helped alot of people here , why not try it?

Using quality oil cannot hurt a modern car.

Wow, 1 quart per 800 miles. Geez, I think I'd be using the CHEAPEST 10W-40 I could get my hands on. Granted, if you can slow down that consumption with a good HM oil, it might be worth it. Maxlife 10W-40 or Defy 10W-30/10W-40.

Don't worry about the semi-synthetic nonsense. Most oils are basically semi-synthetic these days.

Originally Posted By: rfeir
Chrysler considers 800 miles per qt. normal usage.

Some companies consider 500 miles per qt normal, it all depends. If you go in complaining you use a qt/1,000 miles they'll tell you 800 is normal, if you tell them you use a qt in 800 miles they'll tell you 500 is normal. LOL After 500 you might have a shot at them actually doing something, once again it all depends.

I'd stay with 5W30 or 10W30 for the 2.5L. This is what I used in my 2.2's & 2.5's in the past though, not HM Oils just regular dino.

I am currently using 5W30 in my 1980 Firebird FORMULA V8 which, has/had some leaks/drips and mild blowby. I used to put in 1/2 qt per 500 miles or so. Now after using MaxLife for 3 years and Defy for the past 2 years, there are still some drips of oil(garage/driveway) but, I don't have to topoff from summer to summer.

Don't mess with the viscosity. You can safely try maxlife, just remember it may take a few oil changes to notice a difference, so don't condemn it after one oci.

I would recommend M1 High Mileage 5w30, it's one of my favorite hm oils and it's on the upper end of the viscosity range so it's benefits might be greater while maintaining 30 weight range.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Don't mess with the viscosity. You can safely try maxlife, just remember it may take a few oil changes to notice a difference, so don't condemn it after one oci.

Agreed^^^
I have a car that I only drive during the summer months('80 Firebird FORMULA V8). Original Owner/33 years! This engine had probably experienced those drips/leaks or even some blowby for at least 10 of those years.

I believe it took 4 summers/OCI's to notice the oil drips slowing down(using MaxLife). And the consumption, even though the drips hadn't quite stopped, was gone completely as I no longer have to topoff with oil all summer long. I must have also had some blowby since I only put on about 500-700 miles/summer and I was adding ~ 1/2 qt during those miles though, no tailpipe smoke
smile.gif

I last change the Oil/Filter in July 2012 and still have not had to topoff with oil. I may change the oil prior to the Winter storage...or not! Maybe only in the Spring '14. Oil is still very clean with only about 900 miles on this OCI

I am currently using another HM oil(DEFY) with continued success and I like it's smoother operation as well. I will continue to use either of these HM oils in this car as I have noticed a dramitic slow down of oil drips and the consumption is gone!

In addition, with vehicles driven more often than a summer car, I'd expect to see results of HM oils much sooner than my particular 4 years. Several OCI(or a years worth) would be normal IMHO!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Agreed^^^
I have a car that I only drive during the summer months('80 Firebird FORMULA V8). Original Owner/33 years! This engine had probably experienced those drips/leaks or even some blowby for at least 10 of those years.

I believe it took 4 summers/OCI's to notice the oil drips slowing down(using MaxLife). And the consumption, even though the drips hadn't quite stopped, was gone completely as I no longer have to topoff with oil all summer long. I must have also had some blowby since I only put on about 500-700 miles/summer and I was adding ~ 1/2 qt during those miles though, no tailpipe smoke
smile.gif

I last change the Oil/Filter in July 2012 and still have not had to topoff with oil. I may change the oil prior to the Winter storage...or not! Maybe only in the Spring '14. Oil is still very clean with only about 900 miles on this OCI

I am currently using another HM oil(DEFY) with continued success and I like it's smoother operation as well. I will continue to use either of these HM oils in this car as I have noticed a dramitic slow down of oil drips and the consumption is gone!

In addition, with vehicles driven more often than a summer car, I'd expect to see results of HM oils much sooner than my particular 4 years. Several OCI(or a years worth) would be normal IMHO!

I should add that I use 5W30 in this engine(4.9L/301cid V8 w/4bbl Rochester). Though the OM mentions many grades of oil from 5W30 to 20W50, the engine doesn't seem to require anything beyond a 10W30.

No, it won't hurt your vehicle to try Maxlife and its a great oil, but I don't see how it would help with your oil burning issue. I have used it in several vehicles that leaked oil and it worked great, but its designed to help with leaks (seal conditioners) If it were my car, I think I would try a 10w40 (like WM supertech) or maybe even a 5w40 as it would be better for cold winter starts.

The reason HM oils help with burning is greater Density. Density and Grade are not the same thing. Start HM oils at the same grade you are currently running. Ideal is running the oem spec grade in a HM oil with no burn.

Originally Posted By: T4R
No, it won't hurt your vehicle to try Maxlife and its a great oil, but I don't see how it would help with your oil burning issue. I have used it in several vehicles that leaked oil and it worked great, but its designed to help with leaks (seal conditioners) If it were my car, I think I would try a 10w40 (like WM supertech) or maybe even a 5w40 as it would be better for cold winter starts.

Doesnt it "condition" those seals by "destroying" them?

I think that may be why so many dont use High Mileage oils...

Or, just a Group II like Castrol GTX? .. Does that help?

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Originally Posted By: T4R

I think that may be why so many dont use High Mileage oils...

Or, just a Group II like Castrol GTX? .. Does that help?

Who told you they destroy seals? I think that myth comes from the fact that high mileage oils are higher in detergents, and it cleaned out some gunk around old, cracked seals that was plugging the cracks. It's not the oils fault, it's a 15 year old seal or gasket that needs to be replaced. High Mileage oils are designed to make old, cracked hard baked seals soft again. In my experience, high mileage oils only work for external leaks (oil pan gaskets, cam and crank seals, etc.) They won't do anything for burning, unless you bump up the viscosity.

Sorry, but ML has helped many by cleaning ring packs and thus helping with oil burn. It is one of its premier features.

A terrific product.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Sorry, but ML has helped many by cleaning ring packs and thus helping with oil burn. It is one of its premier features.

A terrific product.

Good oil, no doubt, but like I said, Ive never seen an oil that will free stuck rings.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Some HM oils, notably MaxLife and Mobil Super 2000 (up here) are SN/GF-5 oils in the appropriate grade. Considering such certification requires seal compatibility, I can't see them destroying seals. Both products I mentioned are perfectly acceptable for use in a brand new vehicle that requires SN/GF-5 oils.

Originally Posted By: jfking106
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

A terrific product.

Good oil, no doubt, but like I said, Ive never seen an oil that will free stuck rings.

I have.

I will add my sincere condolences. But I am sure you understand that just because you have not witnessed it personally it could still happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back