13 Kia Sorento V6 QSGB 5w20 5500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did this UOA largely to satisfy my curiosity. My commute is going to be changing from ~15 miles round trip to ~60 miles round trip so running out to the owner's manual guidance of 7500 miles is going to start becoming desirable. Wanted to see if QSGB would be up to the challenge in my engine. Answer appears to be yes, which is nice since my plan was to run this fill out to at least 7000 miles anyway.

Admittedly this oil probably had it pretty easy since 3k miles of this OCI was done via road trip, so lots of easy highway miles. Also looks like things are breaking in as expected.

I also wanted to do at least one UOA on QSGB as there doesn't seem to be a ton of information on it around here, so here's adding to the collective info this forum brings to the web.
smile.gif

Blackstone had it erroneously labeled as 5w30 instead of 5w20 so they flagged the viscosity, though I'm expecting that clarification will mean all is well. I'm betting they had a hard time reading my chicken scratch.

Anyway, aluminum, iron, copper dropped, and silicon dropped. I'll probably do another UOA once my next OCI is up just to see how things are going, but that shouldn't be until late Spring '14. Figure I'll stick with QSGB for at least one more OCI and see where things are at.

Otherwise no surprises, checking on PQIA showed me that none of the additive numbers are unexpected, though they tested 5w30 and not 5w20, the ranges are similar enough.

Code:

OIL QSGB 5w20 Nextgen 5w20

MILES IN USE 5.5k 5k

MILES 13695 8195

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/07/13 06/23/13

MAKE UP ADDED 0 qts 0 qts

Aluminum 6 11

Chromium 0 0

Iron 8 13

Copper 10 20

Lead 1 0

Tin 0 0

Molybendum 97 185

Nickel 0 0

Manganese 1 2

Silver 1 2

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 2 1

Boron 52 4

Silicon 19 45

Sodium 37 0

Calcium 1938 2251

Magnesium 12 23

Phosphorus 659 735

Zinc 713 859

Barium 0 1

SUS Visc @ 210F 50.6 53.7

cSt @ 100C 7.46 8.38

Flashpoint F 435 385

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2 0.4

TBN 2.0 2.0

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Is this engine the 3.5 v6 ??
If so is it noisy at start up?
Both mine are.

Yup, the 3.5 v6 and yup for the first 15-30 seconds at startup its definitely noisy.

Once the engine warms a bit and idle settles down it becomes nice and smooth. Were I to go with something other than QSGB it'd be to try to eliminate some of that noise at start up but as it doesn't last long.. meh.

Looks good! Same engine as our Sedona. Your wear numbers are better than mine were on a recent UOA but we short trip ours to near death.

Ours is not particularly noisy at start up but I've heard that comment repeatedly. Since we've had ours, we've used QSGB, Edge Titanium and Ulta. The Edge was the quietest so far.

Thanks for posting! I too get fed up with the lack of oil for the masses UOA's on here.

Break-in is subsiding. Engine in fine shape. Lube did a fine job.

Can easily run this combination out to 7.5k miles. If you plan to extend past that, consider using both TBN and TAN. If 7.5k is going to be your hard limit (in a nod towards OEM warranty, which is not a wrong thing to do) then don't bother with either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Break-in is subsiding. Engine in fine shape. Lube did a fine job.

Can easily run this combination out to 7.5k miles. If you plan to extend past that, consider using both TBN and TAN. If 7.5k is going to be your hard limit (in a nod towards OEM warranty, which is not a wrong thing to do) then don't bother with either.

For now, due to warranty is up 7.5k is my hard limit, good advice on the TBN/TAN, I might get one more with TBN just as a marker to see where QSGB is at 7.5k (at the end of my next OCI to satisfy curiosity) but otherwise any further checkups will be without it.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Looks good! Same engine as our Sedona. Your wear numbers are better than mine were on a recent UOA but we short trip ours to near death.

Ours is not particularly noisy at start up but I've heard that comment repeatedly. Since we've had ours, we've used QSGB, Edge Titanium and Ulta. The Edge was the quietest so far.

Thanks for posting! I too get fed up with the lack of oil for the masses UOA's on here.

Wear numbers were probably so good because, as I said, 3k miles were via road trip, even with times of WOT the vast majority of those miles were easy cruising at 65-75mph.

If it had been 5.5k of 15 mile and shorter round trips I wonder if wear would have been as good.

No matter, my commute will be changing and if anything should get easier on the engine.

Anyway there will be at least one more (probably many more) QSGB posts from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back