Rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has a little blue exhaust at start up, wondering if T6 would help?

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Yea, it'll be fine!
Though, need a bit more info about the car.
Do you just cruise in it or race it?...

It is mainly driven around town, to and from work. Is parked in the winter months. 88k miles.

Originally Posted By: Dean85

That is probably fallen apart valve stem seals that should not be too difficult to replace.

T6 is a 5W40, what does the engine call for? 10W30? I might go with T5.

I doubt any oil will fix the blue smoke at startup.

Does it really use any oil? A bit of blue smoke at startup and low consumption is not really a problem. What are you using now? T-6 will work fine, if you need the thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: Dean85

That is probably fallen apart valve stem seals that should not be too difficult to replace.

T6 is a 5W40, what does the engine call for? 10W30? I might go with T5.

I doubt any oil will fix the blue smoke at startup.

I had a high mileage Mitsubishi Galant from the early 90's - they were famous for eating valve guide seals with any kind of oil change abuse. This thing smoked so bad on start up and taking off from a stop, it was embarrassing. Especially in N Va where people tend to look down their nose at you if you're driving a beater. I thought Mobil 1 might help bring back the seals, so I put some 5W-30 in there. (no MaxLife back then) Initially the M1 made it worse and that car was a bug free zone in a 50 ft radius. I kept driving and was about to give up when after about 500 miles it started getting noticeably better. Another 200 miles and all smoke was gone - even the overnight start up smoke. IMO, almost any oil that resists high temps will bring vg seals back to life in time - pick something with a good NOACK value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back