Fewer non-ethanol options in my area now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where I live you normally see three grades of fuel: 87, 89 (E10), and 91. Because of a state subsidy the mid-grade 89 is actually a dime cheaper than the 87 and 40-50 cents cheaper than the 91.

Up until a couple years ago I paid very little attention to what I put in my tank. I'd pull up to the pump and grab whatever was cheapest (E10) and not think twice about it. Then I read some unfavorable articles about ethanol and decided I was going ethanol-free. I noticed a difference immediately as my mileage increased 10-15%.

A few weeks ago it was in the news that the pipeline in our area was no longer going to deliver 87, they were going to start delivering 84 octane and boosting to 87 with ethanol. This is going to increase the price significantly. Some estimates are that it will now be as much as 40 cents/gallon more than E10.

This morning I rolled into my favorite BP station and found their 87 octane now has an ethanol sticker on it. There has been no accompanying price spike...yet.

What's a devoted non-ethanol guy to do? Do I start paying 40 cents extra for 91 octane (no point paying roughly the same price for 87 anymore)? Do I give in, sacrifice 10-15% mileage and start using the cheap E10 again?

May not seem like a big deal to some, but I'm genuinely conflicted about this.

Just a note that the math says you should lose 3% MPG by using 10% ethanol blend. Ethanol has 66% of the energy content of gasoline, only on the 10% blended portion.
No way you should see a 10-15% MPG difference, unless they're slipping in more than 10% ethanol blend ....

Isn't Iowa where all the corn is grown for ethanol??

On a car/truck that is driven routinely E10 is fine and will not cause problems. The fuel (gas) does need an oxidizer in the winter.

Fuel for OPE is a different story and for boats.

The only E0 fuel I see around me is race car fuel with lead.

And premix for 2 cycle OPE, which I buy.

I shop for the lowest price and there are only 2 stations that claim to sell Ethanol free gas. They are out of way and several cents higher than other stations.

I have tried Ethanol free on several occasions and can't really see any difference in mileage.

Just fill the tank with whatever you choose.

I've had NO choice but to use E10. Fuel here contains ethanol regardless of grade. Yes, I took a hit in MPG and it did work out to just about 2% or so.

Be thankful you were able to go as long as you could with regular gas.

I've had no fuel related issues. I do run stabilizer in the OPE but even in that, no problems.

It looks like Iowa is being "squeezed" with the ethanol mandates.

I'm definitely stuck. Most of southern New England and the northeast mandates oxygenated fuels.

oxygenated fuels in the US

Last edited:
I read they were going to mix with 91 to get 87 and that's what will cause the price increase. If they're using 84 plus ethanol it'll be cheaper than 89 we get. Curious about the new sticker. As long as 91 stays the same for my OPE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
I read they were going to mix with 91 to get 87 and that's what will cause the price increase. If they're using 84 plus ethanol it'll be cheaper than 89 we get. Curious about the new sticker. As long as 91 stays the same for my OPE.
I thought that too. I mean, if they're blending ethanol with the 84 to get it to 87, shouldn't that get the ethanol subsidy too and, therefore, be cheaper than 89?

I think it is up to each distributor how they will blend the 84 to get it up to 87. Seems like BP stations in my area have decided on ethanol. Others may just blend with 91, I don't know.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
Originally Posted By: volk06
I thought that too. I mean, if they're blending ethanol with the 84 to get it to 87, shouldn't that get the ethanol subsidy too and, therefore, be cheaper than 89?

I think it is up to each distributor how they will blend the 84 to get it up to 87. Seems like BP stations in my area have decided on ethanol. Others may just blend with 91, I don't know.

Most of the gas around Des Moines comes from Magellan and Phillips 66 pipelines on the SE side of dsm.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
http://pure-gas.org/

I am currently trying a tank of premium ethanol free to see if I break even cost vs fuel economy.

I've found in every vehicle I own that using premium non ethanol polluted fuel increased my mileage enough to offset the extra cost and in fact I've found that non ethanol premium fuel actually works out to be cheaper per km.
You'll need to run a few tanks though. 1 isn't enough for the ecu to advance the timing enough to see the power increase which then means less pedal is required to achieve speed.
Try a few tanks then do the math.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Interesting findings...I would hope it would be similar in my lower output engines.

Everything but the suburban has an ecu that will advance or retard timing based on what the ecu learns at start up. It will advance timing at every start up in the fuelling map and adjust the adaptive memory so that at some point timing will advance as far as it can which means more power.
Just adjust pedal pressure to compensate and thereby use less fuel. Your car will have a bit more pep but you still have to drive it a bit lighter to realize a fuel savings.

Modern feedback controlled engines will NOT produce less horsepower when gas contains ethanol! In most cases, modern engines will actually produce MORE horsepower, they just use more fuel to do it. In other words, they get lower fuel mileage.

Originally Posted By: Donald

.... The fuel (gas) does need an oxidizer in the winter.

It does?

Updated

Around here the gas prices stayed the same. However for Super unleaded it use to be 89 with ethanol and now it is 87 with ethanol.

Oddly I'm seeing a couple more stations which proclaim non-ethanol fuel. A State Oil truck stop about 3-4 miles from my house trumpets their premium gas with no ethanol. And this past Friday, a corner convenience store in Belle Chasse, LA, had what they say is non-ethanol regular for $3.09 -- two cents/gal. under Walmart and 18 cents less than the station I've been buying my non-eth gas from for several years.

If this small store's gas delivers the same gas mileage, I'll continue to use it . . . though I plan to keep going to the other station on a frequent basis, as he kept providing the good gas all through the last few dark years.

When I was able to use just unleaded regular gasoline w/o ethanol, my Frontier got 27 miles to the gallon in mixed driving. After 10% ethanol was blended into the gasoline, I am, now, averaging 22 mpg very sad in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back