New Microguards MGL51522

Status
Not open for further replies.
The O'Reilly's near me just started to stock the new Wix-made Microguard filters so I decided to buy one of what they had on hand, MGL51522, and sacrifice it for all of us to see. They were just beginning the switch over to Wix part numbers so there were a very limited number for new-stock filters on hand so I cannot speak for the entire Microguard line but I think it is safe to say that all of them will be constructed with a nitrile ADBV. Most of the stock on hand just had a sticker with a WIX number over top of the original tag on the box. Still, I see this as a major improvement over the previous models which probably opens up more O'Reilly oil change specials as a possibilty to those of us who fear the OCOD and it's derivatives. Enjoy the pictures!

DSCN3067_zpsde44d68d.jpg

DSCN3066_zpsd053bd88.jpg

DSCN3068_zps0223b1e7.jpg

DSCN3069_zpsc5b5fab8.jpg

DSCN3070_zps02895700.jpg

DSCN3071_zps1f78fe9d.jpg

Looks decent, and as this is for a GM application no possible combo valve to think about as the bypass is in the engine.

What I'm curious to see is a non GM application to see what kind of bypass it will use. If uses traditional Wix separate thread end bypass and adbv then based on this filter that will be excellent. If however it uses combo valve construction like some Auto Extras posted here, then not so much.

But for GM applications, this Wix made MGL filter looks to be an improvement over either of the two previous manufacturer's filters, imo. Is there any efficiency listed on the box?

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

I would, but only if it were eating crackers.

Don't let your meat loaf,
The Nuke

There weren't any efficiency specs on the box. As soon as I see the MGL51516 or equivalent, I will purchase it, open it up, and post it here. I, too, am curious to see if a thread end bypass/adbv will be used.

The only gripe I have about this filter is how the baseplate feels lighter than the other WIX, P1, K&N, and Motorcraft filters I normally use. Perhaps I am just being overly choosy, but I'd still use this filter. I just hope that O'Reilly sticks with WIX.

I'm guessing Wix is the lowest bidder? I'm surprised how much brands have been relabeled as Microgard filters. Fram, Champ Labs Ecore, now Wix.

Nice! Cheaper and better to the orange can. Similar to NAPA Silver or ProSelect.

I could also seem them using WIX based on how they already carry them in their stores. Perhaps they received an incentive to consolidate manufacturers/lines and/or part number schemes. Having worked in retail for years I find it much easier to cross shop between a WIX 51516 and a MGL51516 versus a WIX 51516 and a MGL3600.

Here is what the OR website states:

"MICRO-GARD Oil Filters provide good engine protection using conventional motor oil for normal driving conditions such as daily travel, throughout a traditional oil and filter change interval. Micro-Gard Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO-4548-12: 13 grams dirt* 95% efficient at 29 microns** (Based on * Micro-Gard MGL51515 ** Micro-Gard MGL51356, MGL57060, and MGL51515)"

Hope that helps.

I imagine they'll pretty much mirror the Napa Pro-Selects. A good move for O'Reillys, a much better entry level filter than the ecores. These I would actually run.

boy, there's a lot of unwritten ifs, buts, and why didn't you asks
my comments are (IN CAPS)

"MICRO-GARD Oil Filters provide good(NOTICE, NOT EXCELLENT OR EVEN VERY GOOD) engine protection using conventional motor oil (IN OTHER WORDS SHORT OCIS) for normal (NOT SEVERE) driving conditions such as daily travel, throughout a traditional oil and filter change interval(HOW LONG IS TRADITIONAL---IMO TRADITIONAL IS 3K MILES & DON'T YOU DARE USE IT FOR 2X OCIS). Micro-Gard Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO-4548-12: 13 grams dirt* 95% efficient at 29 microns** (Based on * Micro-Gard MGL51515 ** Micro-Gard MGL51356, MGL57060, and MGL51515)"

Originally Posted By: steve20
boy, there's a lot of unwritten ifs, buts, and why didn't you asks
my comments are (IN CAPS)

"MICRO-GARD Oil Filters provide good(NOTICE, NOT EXCELLENT OR EVEN VERY GOOD) engine protection using conventional motor oil (IN OTHER WORDS SHORT OCIS) for normal (NOT SEVERE) driving conditions such as daily travel, throughout a traditional oil and filter change interval(HOW LONG IS TRADITIONAL---IMO TRADITIONAL IS 3K MILES & DON'T YOU DARE USE IT FOR 2X OCIS). Micro-Gard Oil Filter Laboratory Test Performance per ISO-4548-12: 13 grams dirt* 95% efficient at 29 microns** (Based on * Micro-Gard MGL51515 ** Micro-Gard MGL51356, MGL57060, and MGL51515)"

I mostly agree with your commentary.

I would interpret "a traditional oil and filter change interval" as what is spec'ed in the owner's manual, and not some synthetic extended drain interval based on UOA's. But that's just me. Might be best to call MG and ask them what THEY meant by it.

I'll pass.....and stay with my Fram ULTRA....which can be used for at least two 7.5K OCI's....and has much better efficiency.

In addition, the ULTRA is reasonably priced for a long OCI filter ($8.97 at WM).

Not bad... much better then the old ones.

Im confident that will last 3000 Miles or even more.

I would feel safe with that on my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back