Weedwacker Gearbox assembly stripped...... again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What gives here? 3rd TIME this year it stripped!. Its on a 30Cc craftsman straight shaft 4 cycle weedwacker. I Use .130 in. line. I kinda think the gears are not set close enough together? Will only last a few hrs before it stops working. Even new, the gears are VERY loud... 3rd warranty replacement. and to think it has a
2-year full warranty
10-year limited shaft warranty when i cant even make it out of the first year.
Here is the weedwacker
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-30cc-4-cy...mp;blockType=G1
and the "gearbox assembly" its self!
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdir...99&keyId=15

2013-09-14_17-24-17_987_zps22af4a1b.jpg

2013-09-14_17-39-48_706_zpse0ecb8a9.jpg

its a nice motor on a cheap setup.

I had the 25cc version. you have to rev it up over half throttle for the string to move.

made in china.

If this 60$(1 year old used one) I have blows up I'm spending $$$ on something slightly closer to commercial grade for sure.

Poor design and/or materials by the look of it . What size line is recommended ?.130 is pretty heavy stuff and I only use .105 on my big unit . It is possible you are over stressing the gear box using the heavy line .

The string head might accept .130 but the unit is NOT designed for it. On a craftsman i would not run any larger than .095 line.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dave123
The string head might accept .130 but the unit is NOT designed for it. On a craftsman i would not run any larger than .095 line.

I have to agree with this SL2 , I'll bet you'll find that head holds together with the lighter line .

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Originally Posted By: dave123

I have to agree with this SL2 , I'll bet you'll find that head holds together with the lighter line .

I'm going to agree with SL2. In his linked product page, Sears specifically calls out .130 and provides the part number. I would let them keep repairing it or demand your $$ back. For the $200 you could get a better Stihl unit.

To the OP, if you can't get your $$ back, try thinner string or a Troy Built or Ryobi weed whacker head. The Troy Builtvis the same MTD unit as the Craftsman and the Ryobis started out as MTD units. You may also be able to adapt a Stihl Kombi head too. I know on my Stihl the Troy Bilt tiller works fine.

Last edited:
Well I'm still betting a lighter line will make a difference but that's up to the OP to decide or just keep changing those gears . Also , what type of grease is being used ? If that head is getting too hot then the grease is likely breaking down or leaking out .
I worked for Stihl for 17 years BTW , did spend some time in the tech dept .

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Well I'm still betting a lighter line will make a difference but that's up to the OP to decide or just keep changing those gears . Also , what type of grease is being used ? If that head is getting too hot then the grease is likely breaking down or leaking out .
I worked for Stihl for 17 years BTW , did spend some time in the tech dept .

I get what you are saying and lighter line most definitely would help. But Sears and MTD say you can use that size line in it and even market it as what to use. So they need to ensure that it will work with it.

Well problem is manufacturers don't always have the machines best interest in hand with some info . Thing is .130 line will plow through anything without hardly breaking and in doing so allows the user to (for lack of a better term) abuse the machines capacity . Trimmers are rated to do a certain amount of work load according to the build and using a .130 line can easly put you beyond what the machine can do along with how the machine is being operated and what you are trimming .

If I saw repeated gears going out on a machine I would question how it was being used . At Stihl seeing a gear box failure was rare but then I know they used high grade steel gears , I can't say anything to the quality of this machines components .

I'm wondering (short of just cheap or defectively-made components) if it's the grease being used is incompatible or just not enough used on the unit? While I agree .130 line is some thick stuff, and I rarely see any whackers that use it, I cannot see it causing this issue too much as most of these trimmers nowadays have attachments, like blades and such, which are much heavier.

UPDATE: Sears is a class act sometimes.
Give them a ring not even a week ago to ask for a replacement gearbox, and while on the phone i jokingly asked for 2 new units because they strip so often,(one to put on, then one for backup) the lady responded with "I'll see what i can do".
I completely forgot about it after that point, and we completed the phone order under warranty at no cost to me with a tracking number provided, i thanked her and went on my way.
The box shows up today, and to my surprise are 2 brand new MTD Gearbox assembles complete with nut, washer, and the plastic holder for the string.

Very impressed i must say on how they handled that.

Too bad it seems to be a weak point in this weedwacker. So far sears has spent (if i were to buy the parts every time) over 185$ on part's alone - thats not including labor for the first 2 service calls.... LOL!

I am also going to .105 sting once i use up the rest of the .135.

Ill dismantle one of these new units, and take a couple of pictures, and while its open ill change out the grease to a name brand of high quality.

Thanks!!

Well, how weak can a gear get? A string trimmer with no hard hits and adequate lubrication, I feel a bloody plastic gear would manage... which leads me to you own point: Maybe the grease is somehow bad? Somehow eats out the aluminum? Or just no EP additives?
Find some heavy duty grease that's suitable for aluminum and replace the goo in the gear. Let's hear how it goes!
One more thing: If you work for hours at full throttle, check the temp of the gear housing sometimes, it should get warm but not hot. If so, work in shorter intervals.

Last edited:
Since you have a spare, you should try shimming a gear set so it meshes properly.
And next time buy a better weedwacker if you want to cut heavy stuff often. It may cost 2-3 times as much initially but usually will last many times longer with less problems and work better the whole time.

have the same thing i my poulan PL25 weedwacker i got second hand years ago with a stripped head. replaced it for $30 from partstree and i regrease it every other year and has been fine. been using lucas red n tacky. when i got the new head, i opened it and it was pathetic the lack of grease that was in there, i wiped it out and filled it with lucas. i suggest you do the same on the new one you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back