More cool nokia Lumia 1020 stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's like my Lumia 928 it will be a great phone. Takes great pictures, even at night, and Windows Phone 8 is a breeze to use.

I don't get all the Windows Phone hate. Try it before knocking it.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
It runs Windows I don't want it.

...sorry :p

+1. The tiles concept is not intuitive and hard to use and get meaningful information out of. The lack of apps is not good. The fact that it's Windows, the most unreliable and insecure OS out there is not good.

Sorry, it is destined to follow the Zune, Kin, and Bob in the junk heap.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
If it's like my Lumia 928 it will be a great phone. Takes great pictures, even at night, and Windows Phone 8 is a breeze to use.

I have a 920 (same camera) and also LOVE the low light capability.

The 1020's camera is supposed to be even better in low light, if you can believe it -- not to mention significantly better in all other ways as well.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
+1. The tiles concept is not intuitive and hard to use and get meaningful information out of. The lack of apps is not good. The fact that it's Windows, the most unreliable and insecure OS out there is not good.

That's funny -- I find the tiles more intuitive and better to use than literally every single other phone UI I have ever seen. I also find WP8's UI generally MUCH clearer, cleaner, and more usable than... again, any other phone UI I have ever seen. My favorite part is that it doesn't waste space non-functional visual accents like iOS does.

On "Windows," I suspect you need to update your knowledge a bit. Not only has Windows been reliable and secure for quite some time now, but Windows Phone 8 is a unique OS that has nothing to do with the desktop versions.

the 1020 is making in-roads where WP as a whole could never do, people are interested in it. A good thing to have other options in the smartphone market besides Apple and Android.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have a BBZ10 and don't want it!

I was waiting for the Z10 to come out when I got impatient and picked up the Lumia 920 instead. Still can't decide whether that was a good or bad call. The Lumia definitely has some significant advantages, but it still sometimes leaves me missing Blackberry's laser focus on productivity.

I really hope Blackberry survives until my contract comes up for renewal again.

I like WP8 as a phone OS. It's fast, stable, and intuitive. It's also a fairly light OS, so it does not need bleeding edge hardware to make it zippy. I don't care that much about apps since I'm not a gamer, and it has the big ones that I'd want. IE works generally pretty well for navigating the Internet.

Nokia also has some good useful camera apps. The Panorama app stitches together some pretty good landscape panoramas. It doesn't like water scenes or motion, though.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I have a BBZ10 and don't want it!

Had BB for years, Still do. But im done now. As a photocentric person it offers me nothing atm.

I like the WP8 tiles idea and the UI is nice.

I don't like how closed the OS is. I require apps that WP8 doesn't even come close to offering nor desires to offer.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
It runs Windows I don't want it.

...sorry :p

Really, I find it very intuitive, and easy to use, at least in my Lumia 920.

I find the IPhone and android to be the clunky, non intuitive devices.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

That's funny -- I find the tiles more intuitive and better to use than literally every single other phone UI I have ever seen. I also find WP8's UI generally MUCH clearer, cleaner, and more usable than... again, any other phone UI I have ever seen. My favorite part is that it doesn't waste space non-functional visual accents like iOS does.

The whole tile concept is non-functional accents! I had a similar thing with Android and they were as useless there too. See a pic you want to view on your tile? Oops, it scrolled off. Want to see someone's post? Gone now. Want that RSS Update? Gone. You get the idea.

And the whole idea of huge fonts that scroll off the screen is visually unappealing as well. The Metro design language is utter [censored].

And lest you think I'm an Apple fanboy, the new iOS 7 is [censored] as well. The UI on that is almost as bad as Windows Phone. Lots of inconsistencies and things that are hard on the eyes.

Quote:
On "Windows," I suspect you need to update your knowledge a bit. Not only has Windows been reliable and secure for quite some time now, but Windows Phone 8 is a unique OS that has nothing to do with the desktop versions.

I have been a Windows Admin since the Windows 3.1 days. (I now am a Linux admin) Calling Windows of any version is reliable and secure is an insult to reliable and secure. It's getting better but it is neither reliable nor secure.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I don't get all the Windows Phone hate. Try it before knocking it.

It's a horrible, clunky user experience with very few applications available for it.

I tried it with a free-to-me HTC HD7S. It was worse in every way than my 3 year old Android phone besides screen size. Four times the phone automajically performed a factory reset in the middle of the night, erasing all my pictures, contacts, text messages, etc...

And of course, the horrible "huge fonts what run off the screen" UI means that most of that extra screen space is completely wasted.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike iOS very much as well but for different reasons. And my preferred platform - Android - is clunky as well but in different, but predictable ways.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
...Not only has Windows been reliable and secure for quite some time now...

crackmeup2.gif
My sides!

I needed a hearty laff today, cheers!

The whole tile concept is non-functional accents!

Are we talking about the same UI?

My calendar tile is nice and big so I can see my appointments clearly. My phone tile is nice and big so I never have to hunt for it. The homescreen doesn't separate the tiles with useless space or stylistic junk, so there's little wasted space; even when a tile is larger than I'd like, that still means a bigger touch surface, so it's not a total waste. I can cluster related tiles together (e.g. everything related to communication around the phone tile) to keep things sensible. It works.

On the flip side, other than the calendar and a weather app, I never even try to use the live tile functionality to show useful information in real time. Maybe that's why I don't share your criticisms.

And the whole idea of huge fonts that scroll off the screen is visually unappealing as well. The Metro design language is utter [censored].

Disagree strongly here as well. I love how clean and readable it is. Once I got used to the side-scrolling page titles, it just worked.

Are we still talking about the phone version, by the way? I can't stand Metro on any other kind of device, so if that's what you're talking about, then I agree.

I have been a Windows Admin since the Windows 3.1 days. (I now am a Linux admin) Calling Windows of any version is reliable and secure is an insult to reliable and secure. It's getting better but it is neither reliable nor secure.

7 is just fine for 99% of users. 8's back end is, too -- it's the front end that's junk. Night-and-day difference from the days of 95/98/ME/XP.

Totally understandable that you don't like Windows if you are a competent Linux user. That's obviously orders of magnitude better. I'm talking in the context of most users, who... are not competent Linux users.

To be perfectly honest, I still would rather have a Droid phone. I just can't find a device with hardware that I like...

I still really like my WP8 phone. I've never liked Android, and was ambivalent about iOS 6. I had an Ipod Touch for 2 years, and was never blown away by it or the Iphone 4 or 4S. They always seemed slow to respond, even if they were brilliantly simple to use.

What I did not like about Android was the interface. I've used several recent Android devices owned by family, and always come away disgusted with how difficult the menus and pages are to navigate. I must not "get" Android, or run across a layout I like. Whatever it is, I don't like it. Compared to my experiences with Android, WP8 is much easier to use.

I really think that folks are commenting about Windows 8 for computers, not Windows Phone 8. WP8 is pretty darned good. Win8, though, I don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back