Hard Starting Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
1992 Honda Accord- Recently it has been a little rough starting. Sometimes it runs rough for only a second or two when it first starts, sometimes it cranks for a few seconds longer than it should before starting.

This morning, it was really bad, the worst start it's ever had. It took 3 or 4 tries before it finally started, ran rough for a good 4 or 5 seconds and finally smoothed out. It threw the check engine light on too, the first time that's happened. It was on the whole way to work this morning. When I parked the car at work, I noticed it was still idling fast at around 1200 or 1300 rpm. I turned the car off, and turned it right back on again. It started right up, idled normally, and the check engine light was off. I scanned for codes using the check engine light method, and came up with code 56. I searched the internet and can't find out what code 56 means anywhere. Ideas?

Are you sure it was 56? There's no such code. Below is the code list for all 92-00 Hondas/94-00 Acuras:

0 ECU
1 Oxygen Content
3 Map Sensor
4 Crank Angle Sensor
5 Map Sensor
6 Coolant Temperature
7 Throttle Angle
8 TDC Position
9 No 1 Cylinder Position
10 Intake Air Temperature
63 Intake Air Temperature
12 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System
13 Atmosphere Pressure
14 Electronic Air Control
15 Ignition Output Signal
16 Fuel Injector
17 Vehicle Speed Sensor
20 Electronic Load Detector
21 VTEC Solenoid Valve (1.8L GSR)
22 VTEC Oil Pressure Switch (1.8L GSR)
23 Knock Sensor
30 TCM Signal A
31 TCM Signal B
41 o2 Sensor Heater
43 Fuel Supply System
45 System Too Rich or Too Lean
48 Primary Heated o2 Sensor
54 Crankshaft Speed Fluctuation Sensor
61 Primary o2 Sensor Circuit
63 Secondary o2 Sensor Circuit
65 Secondary o2 Sensor Circuit
67 Catalyst System
70 Automatic Transaxle
71-74 Random Misfire
80 Exhaust Gas Recirculation
86 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit
90 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected
91 Fuel Tank Pressure Circuit
92 Evaporative Emission Control System Insufficient

Are certain that it's 56? Doing a google search I too didn't see that code listed. Not to sound condescending, but I would try again to see if it confirms. Below is a link to the codes for your model and the procedure. Maybe that will help.

90-93 Accord and odb-1 cel codes

Edit, Looks like dparm beat me to the codes.
cheers3.gif
Still might view the cel check procedure though.

Last edited:
Actually, looking at it again, it could be that I have 2 codes: code 41 and code 6. Since there are 4 slow flashes and 1 quick one, before the long pause and 6 quick flashes.

Code 41 at first doesn't make much sense because the car doesn't pay much attention to the o2 sensor when first started, and definitely wouldn't cause the symptoms I'm having. HOWEVER, it actually does make sense because I was working on the exhaust this weekend and I started the car for a few seconds with the o2 sensor disconnected, which probably set the code. I didn't notice the check engine light on at the time, but I didn't really look at it in the first place. So, now that I have a brand new o2 sensor installed, that code should stay away once I reset the computer.

Which just leaves code 6: Coolant temperature. Would a bad CTS cause these symptoms?

You know I think you could be right. The fifth light pulse is brief. Those lights are tricky compared to obdII code readers. Not sure abt code 6 though.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Actually, looking at it again, it could be that I have 2 codes: code 41 and code 6. Since there are 4 slow flashes and 1 quick one, before the long pause and 6 quick flashes.

That's correct: It's Code 41 and Code 6. A 2-second pause is used to separate distinct codes.

Code 41...I started the car for a few seconds with the o2 sensor disconnected, which probably set the code.

Yes.

that code should stay away once I reset the computer.

Yes.

Which just leaves code 6: Coolant temperature. Would a bad CTS cause these symptoms?

Yes. If you have a multimeter, you can test the sensor; there's a chart listing resistance at various temperatures. Or you can just get a new one; I think they're about $40.

I often deal with ignition distributors that fail intermittently on Honda engines, but first do all the things mentioned by the previous posters before replacing the distributor.

Actually -- and I should have thought of this at first -- the correct procedure on this generation of Hondas is to to clear the ECU first, then see if the same error comes back.

Resetting the ECU is done by removing the Backup fuse (7.5A) from the underhood fuse box for 10 seconds.

I ordered a new OEM Honda CTS. Will install it, clear the ECU, and go from there. It's been starting up and running fine since that episode yesterday, though.

UPDATE: I ended up installing a new Genuine Honda OEM coolant temp sensor and everything has been fine since then. Now one year later, I had the same problem this morning.
mad.gif
Checked for codes, got Code 6 again. No other codes. Are these cars known for bad coolant temp sensors or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back