What kind of car is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: TFB1

Never heard of a Packard Cavalier, no doubt a Clipper...

Actually, there is lots of doubt that is a Clipper. I has the side trim that was offered only on the Cavalier, so unless that was changed, you are looking at a 1954 Packard Cavalier.

Those Packards were great cars, but I always avoided the Ultramatic versions. The manual shift cars were far more reliable, and using the forced low gear often sped up the failure of Ultramatics.
Of note: Packard was the first independent manufacturer to develop its' own automatic transmission.

Also of note, Packard was the first to offer an oil filter. In 1928 I believe. It was a Purolater.-- FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
Those Packards were great cars, but I always avoided the Ultramatic versions. The manual shift cars were far more reliable, and using the forced low gear often sped up the failure of Ultramatics.
Of note: Packard was the first independent manufacturer to develop its' own automatic transmission.

I thought that was the GM Hydromatic?

Originally Posted By: supton
...Not just PRNDL being stuff like NRDL or somesuch (or even buttons! on Chryslers)...

Yeah, I got a chuckle when I spotted a NRDL shifter sequence in an old car at a car show. I instantly realized that was a very early, probably short lived design. They obviously quickly learned that putting Reverse next to Drive was not a good idea!

'Cept for the Ford's, I believe all the early automatics had reverse in the last position...

Note the early Lincolns which used the GM Hydramatic would be a exception, that would be prior to Ford & Borg Warner collaborating on Fords first corporate automatic...

There is a old joke about the guy who had never driven a automatic getting into speed contest with his buddy, said he was winning till he pulled it down in Race and broke it...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

GM is one of the big-three corporations. Packard was the first independent make to do so.

I overhauled the "planetary overdrive gearset" on a very nice 1946-47 Packard Clipper, with the straight eight. I believe the transmission was simply a manual 3 speed.

In this case, the ring gear cracked and I replaced it. Apparently a common problem.

It was quite informative to drive the car around town. It was quiet, smooth and had good low end torque. Really, in some ways, better than today's cars. The engine had instant response, and could be run at very low RPM's without any issue.

It could also go 80MPH without breaking a sweat, while still operating smoothly and comfortably. I'm not sure it could do much more than that, but it was just fine at 80.

Local u-pull yard (Lincoln, NE) has a 51 Packard 4 door. Looked like it had been sitting for years, pretty rough. Dash parts gone but driveline still complete. Surprised PO didn't/couldn't sell it for a restoration project.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

GM is one of the big-three corporations. Packard was the first independent make to do so.

No...I thought Packard used the Hydromatic, and later, a Borg-Warner auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back