truck tires and fuel economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
What will effect the fuel economy of any given set of tires more width, weight or tread pattern? I want to save up for a tire upgrade sooner than later and will be looking for the most aggressive tire in a stock size that wont have amy negative impact on my fuel mileage....

Rolling resistance (Width, weight and tread pattern.) has a pretty significant effect on fuel economy. You will not be able to find an aggressive tread tire that will get the same highway fuel economy as specifically designed highway tire.

Tire pressure and toe alignment are also a big factor.

I would look for a traditional all-terrain tire.

The weight of the tire will affect it if you're acellerating a lot. However, the best mileage I ever had with my Cherokee was with load range E truck tires - skinny, tall ones.

The tire design and materials

this can vary between models and manufacturers widely.

Generally speaking an OEM highway type tire will be better than an all terrain etc.

followed by size of tire.

ie narrow is better for fuel economy.

Last edited:
Currently running Cooper h/t skinny load e's and barely touching Epa ratings, though I do stay there consistently. How much of a hit do you guys think some c or d rated bfg at's would cost me in a 30mm wider 265/70r17 (same diameter)?

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Rolling resistance (Width, weight and tread pattern.) has a pretty significant effect on fuel economy. You will not be able to find an aggressive tread tire that will get the same highway fuel economy as specifically designed highway tire.

Tire pressure and toe alignment are also a big factor.

I would look for a traditional all-terrain tire.

I saw a 1 1/2 MPG reduction when I went to 33's from stock tires on my F150.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Currently running Cooper h/t skinny load e's and barely touching Epa ratings, though I do stay there consistently. How much of a hit do you guys think some c or d rated bfg at's would cost me in a 30mm wider 265/70r17 (same diameter)?

what size are you running now?

235/75r17?

What does your door placard say for tire size?

does it require E?

Last edited:
Unsprung weight is important.

If you increase the mass or rolling resistance of tires expect a corresponding decrease in efficiency, braking, and acceleration.

If the vehicle sees mostly on road use buy an OTR tire and save the money. I'm not a big fan of the jacked up look since all the ones I see just ride around on pavement burning up pricey rubber and fuel.

Rolling Resistance is the biggest factor if I understand correctly. This is the tire's ability to flex as rubber enters and leaves the contact patch. CapriRacer may have a website out there that discusses this--- he pipes up here from time to time with heaps of knowledge.

Unfortunately--- The traits that make up an attractive A/T or M/T do not generally align with low RR.

Width--- varies per vehicle. In some cases, in my *limited* experience you're more likely to get this with a passenger car, a wider tire can actually be a benefit--- if the width requires the tire to flex less as it rolls.... AND that benefit is greater than the increased wind resistance. I've never gotten that benefit when trying it with trucks/4x4s.

Even staying in size, going from a hwy to an A/T, can cost 1-2 mpg. perfect example--- read through the tirerack reviews for the revo 2.

So to answer the question, tire Type, which plays into tread pattern is a Big one. Hwy/All seasons likely best for mpg. I'd say in very general terms, width as well. Up-sizing can be negative, though that is not a set rule.

Originally Posted By: meep
Rolling Resistance is the biggest factor if I understand correctly. This is the tire's ability to flex as rubber enters and leaves the contact patch. CapriRacer may have a website out there that discusses this--- he pipes up here from time to time with heaps of knowledge.

Unfortunately--- The traits that make up an attractive A/T or M/T do not generally align with low RR.

Width--- varies per vehicle. In some cases, in my *limited* experience you're more likely to get this with a passenger car, a wider tire can actually be a benefit--- if the width requires the tire to flex less as it rolls.... AND that benefit is greater than the increased wind resistance. I've never gotten that benefit when trying it with trucks/4x4s.

Even staying in size, going from a hwy to an A/T, can cost 1-2 mpg. perfect example--- read through the tirerack reviews for the revo 2.

So to answer the question, tire Type, which plays into tread pattern is a Big one. Hwy/All seasons likely best for mpg. I'd say in very general terms, width as well. Up-sizing can be negative, though that is not a set rule.

I've been noticing a lot more HT type tires with siping. From what I've read, they do pretty well in all road conditions. Which is a big plus. There are some tires (WalMart liberator) that just aren't good.

I understand the concept of a strong AT design not aligning with good MPG, what I'm looking for are some options on mild AT or aggressive HT tires which will provide the best blend of characteristics. I like the suggestions of the LTX A/T2 tires, though they seem to get some very mixed reviews, the LTX M/S2 tires are supposed to be a fairly amazing tire, though I can't help but want to go at least a bit more aggressive.

Originally Posted By: buck91
What will effect the fuel economy of any given set of tires more width, weight or tread pattern? I want to save up for a tire upgrade sooner than later and will be looking for the most aggressive tire in a stock size that wont have amy negative impact on my fuel mileage....

As Meep pointed out, there are a lot of factors that affect rolling resistance 9and therefore, fuel economy).

There's data that says that even tires of the same size can have HUGE differences in RR - up to 60%.

There are 3 factors that affect RR: The amount of flexing taking place (controlled mostly by inflation pressure), the amount of material being flexed (this is mostly tread rubber), and the properties of the rubber being flexed (which the average guy is NOT going to be able to figure out) - and of these the rubber properties are the most important.

The problem here is that Rolling Resistance, Treadwear, and Traction form a technology triangle. To get good values of one, one (or both) of the others has to be sacrificed.

Car manufacturers specify low values of rolling resistance in order to get good fuel economy numbers - and in response, the tire manufacturers sacrifice the treadwear and traction to get those low values. that's why you'll hear a lot of complaints about OE tires.

Taking this a step further, worn tires get better fuel economy than new tires - all other things being equal - because new tires have more tread rubber (more material being flexed.)

- AND -

All other things being equal, an All Terrain tires is going to have worse RR than an All Season tire. (more tread rubber)

And a further guess, the tread rubber on an All Terrain tires is likely to be more chip and chunk resistant - and that further hurts RR.

But this is about a 7 year old pickup that is likely on its second set of tires. The first set was likely pretty good for fuel economy and probably about the best that is going to be achieved. If those were acceptable for traction and treadwear, that is where I suggest going.

HOWECVER, it is likely those tires are no longer available - or at least, they are no longer the same as when supplied 7 years ago.

One word of caution: This pickup came with LT tires and it is possible that there are P type tires also available with the same dimensions. DO NOT replace LT tires with P type tires - not enough load carrying capacity = more likely failures.

Advise: First find your vehicle tire placard where it lists the original tire size and the inflation pressure for that size. The placard is likely on the driver's doorpost. While you are there, look at the tires - size, make and model.

Then look your vehicle up on Tire Rack's web site. Make sure the size is the same. Everything line up? If, yes, proceed. If not figure out why they don't.

Then look up tires available in that size. What were the original tires? What about the ones you have now?

Here's the hard part: Look at the warranties for treadwear. Longer wear probably equals worse fuel economy.

Side note: I just noticed something new on Tire Rack's web site. They now have a tab for OE tires that lists the fitments a particular tire had. This is a bit misleading as not only is the list NOT delineated by size (which is VERY important), but it seems to imply that ALL of the tire sizes listed were OE (Not always true) - AND - that they haven't been changed since then (almost guaranteed not to be true if the tires are more than 3 years old.).

Old vehicle went from 235/60R18 to 255/55R18. More aggressive tread, wider tire, heavier tire (10lbs.). Lost 2-3mpg. Handling and poor weather performance was far superior...so somewhat offset the loss in fuel economy. BTW that was close to a 20% loss in city fuel econ (17-14mpg.)

YMMV

LOL

Last edited:
Depends entirely on the app...

Sometimes a jump in height with little weight gain will INCREASE mileage once distance is adjusted.

Example....stock sidekick gave 28mpg. 31 in MTs weighing 41 lbs a piece = 21 adjusted mileage. 33 ATS weighing 47lbs a piece net 23 adjusted mileage.

My wife's has stock sized tires that are a stupid heavy 37lbs a pieces and it only can get 26.

The weights seem to matter more than height.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back