Krown rustproofing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

Didn't this used to be a once and done process? I got all excited to recently find a Krown shop about 10miles from my home. Prior to this, the closest was over the boarder in Canada.

It's ~$120 for a car application, but it looks like the typical bar and chain oil looking stuff they use today to me, and they recommend yearly applications. I'm thinking forget it.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Totally worth doing annually. And if you do it annually and within a month give or take of the prior yearly application since your car was new, they warranty the car for rust and they do stand by this.

I personally think $120 a year is cheap insurance for salt belt cars, fixing rusted cars is nothing but a nightmare not to mention the powertrains always outlast the bodies of modern cars.. I would get the KROWN application and enjoy a longer lasting car personally, I am a supporter though, for me its a no brainer.

Once you've done it maybe 2-3 years in a row you maybe able to skip a year here and there. But I'd absolutely get it done. Esp on a new car before it's first winter. I'm always skeptical of a product that claims to last a lifetime. Get this done yesterday!
smile.gif

Ask the manager if they will do two cars for $200 out the door with tax included.
grin.gif

Last edited:
I personally wouldnt bother. If you wash your car regularly and wax it, i doubt you will get rust issues. 120$ per year...I have an 07 parked on the street year around..and not a sign of rust. Granted its not that old yet but we get alot of salt here and weather variances. If you do decide to rustproof it, i would do it after 5-7 years..since the car wont rust within that time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
Didn't this used to be a once and done process? I got all excited to recently find a Krown shop about 10miles from my home. Prior to this, the closest was over the boarder in Canada.

It's ~$120 for a car application, but it looks like the typical bar and chain oil looking stuff they use today to me, and they recommend yearly applications. I'm thinking forget it.
frown.gif

I assume your talking about Carwell. Same as Krown in Canada. How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle?

I have had it done to both my vehicles.

Carwell is good stuff.

...many vehicles in WNY can look beautiful for many years. Great glossy paint, no swirls, mirror reflections and paint smooth to the touch.

These same vehicles could also be completely rotted out. No amount of washing or waxing the paint/exterior is going to stop the salt bath on the underneath.

Last edited:
I have used Krown for many years and it works, but you do have to reapply. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time, it's a worthwhile investment. If you trade ever few years, it may not be worth the cost, as most cars today won't show any signs of corrosion in a few years.

It will keep your undercarriage pretty much rust free if you use it regularly. It also helps body panels from rusting from the inside out. However, it will also make your car VERY dirty on the underside. But I'd rather deal with dirt then rusted out parts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
Carwell is good stuff.

...many vehicles in WNY can look beautiful for many years. Great glossy paint, no swirls, mirror reflections and paint smooth to the touch.

These same vehicles could also be completely rotted out. No amount of washing or waxing the paint/exterior is going to stop the salt bath on the underneath.

Is there anything to correlate using the product and life?

My parent used no rust protection on their vehicles(both 2000 models) in coastal NH and paint looks great on both vehicles. They do however garage them(unheated).

I've used Krown for many years and have been happy with it. I just order replacement plugs and then spray it myself too sometimes.

Thing is; I've read that Krown isn't good on rubber and plastics? I've never had any trouble, BUT, this has me using Fluid Film which is safe on plastic and synthetic rubber. It says it might swell natrual rubber, but I don't think the average car uses natural rubber.

I'g like to hear the census on Krown hurting rubber and plastic, again used it, never had a problem.....stupid internet and all the information it holds! I believe everything I read too.

I have had a few vehicles oil sprayed by Carwell (same as Krown)and I think it works ...okay. That being said, I had my daughter's car sprayed there twice in past 4 years and in between then I touched it up with a few spray cans at home. I recently noticed a couple pencil eraser sized rust bubbles forming above her rear passenger side wheel well. They were not there 4 years ago or even last year, and there is no trace of anything oily left under her car. I kinda though it would have stopped any more rust from forming or spreading, but it seems to be happening. I tried a place called Rustop which looks like they sprayed on petroleum jelly. Much thicker, doesn't drip and seems to cling to the underside of our my Impala better. Krown (I hear) has a thicker formula for underneath now and a thinner for inside voids which would be much better for durability. I've even bought a few spray cans of chain lube oil to heavily coat the brake lines on my truck. That stuff sticks like crazy. Still there 3 years later. She wants to upgrade her car in a year or so, so I'm not having it done anymore. I feel mixed now on Krown. Peace of mind atleast if you have it done.

I put a lot of thought into this and flipped a coin and decided to have our new car Krowned this summer, based on how bad our '05 Caravan rusted (a bad time in Chrysler quality due to Daimler).

I totally disagree with Rolla. But, my observation of many cars here in mid Michigan tells me there is no consistency regarding rust resistance in car brands. One friend has a 10 year old CRV that receives no care and it has zero rust. Other 7 -10 year old well maintained cars have inside body rust developing. I am not confident that the factory rust treatments are consistent from year to year and brand vs. brand.

The panel seam rust coming from the inside is the big problem, not rust from surface chips. No amount of washing will prevent this.

I am leary about how thin the Krown is, but many here assure me that it does leave a film even on the exposed underside.

$120 x 10 years......I wonder about the return on investment. At 10 years in Michigan, most daily drivers are getting kind of rough.

I decided that if it makes me feel good, than that is enough for me (assuming that the Krown works). If it doesn't work out, then it's a lesson learned and back to the drawing board. Life has few guarantees.

This is very common from age 7 years and up in Michigan:
door_corrosion.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I personally wouldnt bother. If you wash your car regularly and wax it, i doubt you will get rust issues. 120$ per year...I have an 07 parked on the street year around..and not a sign of rust. Granted its not that old yet but we get alot of salt here and weather variances. If you do decide to rustproof it, i would do it after 5-7 years..since the car wont rust within that time.

Yeah, have you looked underneath? And wait few more years when finally the rust will start coming out of the seams, that will be fun.
Modern cars are pretty good at not showing rust because of plenty of drainage holes and better rust protection from the factory, but they will all, sooner all later start rusting in the usual spots like seam welds at the bottom of door edges, rear and/or front wheel wells, hood etc.
There is a reason why higher end German models don't seem to rust as fast as others and that's because they have all the inner panels treated with rustproofing material right from the factory and have wheel well liners to prevent rock and salt spray damage. Most other cars on the road don't have this kind of treatment and that's where proper rustproofing comes in.

I used Krown and it works, but it does wash off from wheel wells and high spray areas rather easily. I wish they offered just the undercarriage spray option because I noticed that after few applications the inside cavities have plenty of oil in them and any additional applications just makes the oil drip a lot more and make a mess. I DIY rustproofing now since I have the means to do so.

I use it. It works just fine. I do it every second year. No warranty doing it that way but I don't care. It seems to be doing the job @ a 50% application rate. My 2 cents' worth.

John.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I assume your talking about Carwell. Same as Krown in Canada. How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle?

I have had it done to both my vehicles.

I see no mention of Carwell, unless I'm missing it somewhere: http://www.krown.com/, put in your ZIP at the top.

I never know how long I'll keep my vehicles, but I typically maintain them like I'm keeping them forever.

Can someone elaborate regarding any ties between Krown and Carwell?

I think that there was some connection between Krown and RustCheck (one was an off shoot of the other?), but I was not aware of any Krown/Carwell connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back