Best Synthetic for '97 Subaru w/ 250K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a '97 Subaru Outback 2.5L with 248,000 miles (well serviced througout) and want to switch to synthetic oil. I have used Mobil 1 in my '96 Mercedes 220C since new and it runs the 0W-40. I notice Mobil 1 High Mileage oil is 5WX20 and was surprised. I expected it to be something more like 10WX40. Is the 5Wx20 too thin for the Subaru? If it's not the best choice, what should I use? Most driving will be highway miles.
Thanks

There are 10w-30 and 10w-40 M1 high mileage versions. At one time were was a 5W-30 M1 HM too. Unless there is a compelling reason to use a HM oil, i would stick to 5W-30

I have yet to use a HM in my toyota.

Last edited:
If you're keeping your intervals at 5-7k miles I would go with Pennzoil conventional High Mileage. I'm happy with it in my daughter's 2000 2.5RS at 5-6k intervals. If you push your intervals beyond 7,500 miles, then go with Mobil1 High Mileage 5W-30 but do not use a 5W-20.

-Dennis

What does the HM oil offer that the regular Mobil 1 oils don't? I am gussing now since it's not the viscosity, that it must be some additional additives.
Thanks for the input.

Turbo or NA?

I prefer shorter intervals on the NA versions because of the inadequate cylinder wall support.

Not a problem if you stay on top of it.

I would use PYB for NA with 4-5k drains..more if highway miles.

In turboed...why not 0w40 M1?

Was there even a 1997 outback?

I didnt think they had an actual "outback" model until 2000
(in the usa)
they had outback option on other trims.

you probably have a subaru legacy outback?
(based off legacy)

or a subaru outback sport(based off impreza)

also the 2.5L is a DOHC NA engine.
the turbo engines were 2.0L(IIRC)

I would use conventional/semi syn 5w30 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer.

I would also get an oil analysis and see if your head gaskets are leaking as the year you have is very prone to leak if they werent done already at least once.

Last edited:
Yes.. it's the Legacy Outback station wagon.. sorry for the misnomer. I'm relatively certain the head gaskets are good... although I haven't gone through all the service records. There are a lot of them to sort through. I don't see any of the typical signs of that either in the engine oil or the cooling system.
I appreciate the input regarding the oil and the rest as well.

Pennzoil
Yellow
Bottle

A really robust conventional, perhaps the best available for normal duty. If you want a synthetic, I'd recommend M1 High Mileage in the weight specified on your oil cap or in your owner's manual.

Thanks.. I knew what PBR is.. and now I know what PYB is. I'll stick with M1. Somehow I feel if I spend all that extra money.. I'm a better person (car guy) and the car will be happier and return the favor with better performance and fewer problems. I also buy higher end filters for the same reason.

Originally Posted By: Rev_Tim
Thanks.. I knew what PBR is....

cheers3.gif

Some don't!

Thanks.. I knew what PBR is.. and now I know what PYB is. I'll stick with M1. Somehow I feel if I spend all that extra money.. I'm a better person (car guy) and the car will be happier and return the favor with better performance and fewer problems. I also buy higher end filters for the same reason.

Hehehe. Why let let the obvious get in the way of your feelings.
Doesn't matter what oil you use. If its never had synthetic why spend more now when its never seen it before

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Thanks.. I knew what PBR is....

cheers3.gif

Some don't!

I thought it was pro bull riding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back