No more Castrol Edge gold bottles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If so, I think that is a very very smart move by Castrol as they are even making a reasonable attempt to drop the three-letter acronyms (LST, FST, whatever it was,) and making it "Edge, formerly Syntec" -- effectively, dropping Syntec.

Do I have this new Castrol naming/coloring scheme (only black bottles for Edge, still green or white for GTX) right?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I just purchased two gold-colored bottles of Edge 0W-20 yesterday from AAP

Was it old stock, or new?
Did it say "Edge formerly Syntec?
Or, did it say "Edge with Syntec?

I am asking if THIS BOTTLE now says "Edge with Syntec" and is now black, and the GOLD bottle is perhaps old stock. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9045410&contentId=7081095

Castrol_Passenger_Vehicles_Edge_FLT.jpg

^^^ Old stock?

I will have to snap a pic of the Edge in the black container I saw, said Formerly Syntec.

Unless there is now two black-bottle Edges, one is a lesser.. OR are they keeping Edge as Gold?

When I find the quart I saw, my question will make more sense when you see what I saw.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I just purchased two gold-colored bottles of Edge 0W-20 yesterday from AAP

I still SEE Gold bottles, I just wonder if Castrol made the Edge formerly Syntec Black, and made it top of the line, like Gold was.

Or I am wrong and Gold is still going.

But I saw a quart of "Edge formerly Syntec" in Black.. and thought they did away with Gold. That is exactly what it said: "Edge formerly Syntec."

From a week ago, someone else noticed: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3117156#Post3117156

?

I don't have the bottles on me, and won't be able to check. I believe it said "formerly syntec," but I'm only 30% certain of that...

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
Even of it is all black bottles now, we will see Gold bottles for awhile.........

I am now genuinely curious, based on the quarts I saw.

It could be either, I just see even a black bottle saying Edge in Castrol's newest ad..

They're still making both, Gold bottle is now called edge extended performance...and black is edge, formerly syntec...walmart here has the new gold bottles

Originally Posted By: Stang40
They're still making both, Gold bottle is now called edge extended performance...and black is edge, formerly syntec...walmart here has the new gold bottles

^^This^^

I saw these at the local Walmart last week. Both had the little green dexos1 logo on them as well. Didn't have my phone or I would have snapped a pic.

Last edited:
Don't get too attached to the bottle designs or even the names of the poroduct line.

I think the trend these days is to restyle half the lineup every time a focus group picks something else...

I have 5 quarts of Gold Bottle Castrol Edge with Titanium OW-20 which I got on sale this year and plan to try on my 2007 Honda Odyssey Touring this Fall. I get confused w/Castrol's marketing of their oil products, especially the Edge with Syntac vs Edge Titanium (I'm sure my Oddy would be good with either)I prefer Mobil1s marketing as it is easier to discern between brands/applications. Also like Pennzoil but not sure where Ultra fits in as Platinum seems good for most apps
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back