Pennzoil Synthetic Blend any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They got it in 5W-30 at Walmart. Any of you guys try it?

I'm sure it is....had thoughts flying through my head about buying this so I could switch my other car to a twice a year oil change...

None of my Ecotec engines are hard on oil (synthtic almost seems a waste), so I'm curious to hear the comments as well..

I find it interesting that the Pennzoil site lists Pennzoil "Gold" (i.e. a synthetic blend available in 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30) and Pennzoil "Synthetic Blend" meeting the dexos1 specification separately. I thought Pennzoil Gold 5W-30 was dexos-licensed, but there appears to be something more to the equation.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
I find it interesting that the Pennzoil site lists Pennzoil "Gold" (i.e. a synthetic blend available in 5W-20, 5W-30, and 10W-30) and Pennzoil "Synthetic Blend" meeting the dexos1 specification separately. I thought Pennzoil Gold 5W-30 was dexos-licensed, but there appears to be something more to the equation.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dexos and Gold were the same oil in slightly different bottles. Also, SOPUS has a QS Enhanced Durability syn blend which is also Dexos in 5w30. All three might even be the same oil, even if two of them are harder to find than PU!

Note that even though QSED name was previously used for what is now Defy, they now use that name on a non-HM syn blend.

I feel like synthetic blends don't really fit in anywhere since a decent synthetic isn't that much more and a conventional is sufficient for most cars running regular intervals and it's cheaper. You don't know how much synthetic is in there and you don't know if it has any advantages over a quality conventional. I think the only blend I would use is Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I feel like synthetic blends don't really fit in anywhere since a decent synthetic isn't that much more and a conventional is sufficient for most cars running regular intervals and it's cheaper. You don't know how much synthetic is in there and you don't know if it has any advantages over a quality conventional. I think the only blend I would use is Maxlife.

But if you need a dexos1 oil you need a synblend, IIRC, and it meets other manufacturer specs that most conventional may not. The 5 quart Pennzoil synblend is only a buck or two more than PYB at WM.

i did not see it in my wal mart i always liked pennzoil but sometimes the price is to high.. Its good oil but so is the bulk in my drums problem is i change my oil at my house not at the shop because we are always busy and space is limited so sometimes i buy oil other places so it does not make a mess in my car. (happened two times)

The Pennzoil Dexos blend is "at least 50% synthetic" according to the bottle and the PDS.

Motorcraft is said to be 60% syn, and isn't Kendall GT1 the same oil as MC? or at least almost identical

Also, Walmart has both the Pennzoil Dexos, and Castrol Synblend, for only $1 and change more, so it's worth 10-30c extra per quart.

I agree completely.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

But if you need a dexos1 oil you need a synblend, IIRC, and it meets other manufacturer specs that most conventional may not. The 5 quart Pennzoil synblend is only a buck or two more than PYB at WM.

That's why I said 'most'. 'Most' cars on the road don't need an oil that meets Dexos. If we're strictly talking about meeting specs, Supertech conventional meets the needs of API SM and GF-5 and older, which covers a lot of cars and IIRC it's a few dollars less than PYB, which would make the syn-blend more than a couple dollars more than a conventional. Of course OP didn't say what car he's asking for.

Making PYB go away quietly, maybe?

Its a nice oil. Used it in the Uplander and it was smooth and quiet. Seemed to clean up well also. I may go back after this run of Mobil (which I have not liked at all). But for a couple bucks more you can get QSUD.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
asiancivicmaniac said:

It is at LEAST 50% synthetic, says right on the bottle. This is only true for Pennzoil Syn Blend, not sure about other syn blends.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
asiancivicmaniac said:

It is at LEAST 50% synthetic, says right on the bottle. This is only true for Pennzoil Syn Blend, not sure about other syn blends.

Sure, but what kind of synthetic is in there? Is it from their Platinum, Ultra, or is it something else? It could be a completely different base oil than either.

No it wasn't. Scientific responses bore me to death.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

That's why I said 'most'. 'Most' cars on the road don't need an oil that meets Dexos. If we're strictly talking about meeting specs, Supertech conventional meets the needs of API SM and GF-5 and older, which covers a lot of cars and IIRC it's a few dollars less than PYB, which would make the syn-blend more than a couple dollars more than a conventional. Of course OP didn't say what car he's asking for.

However, since PZ Syn-Blend is Dexos1 certified, you know that is a higher quality oil than a oil that does not meet the Dexos1 standard.

Since Merk drives a GM vehicle, he is still better served by using a Dexos1 oil. According to GM, Dexos1 is back-speced/suitable for use (duh) in all older gasoline GM vehicles that previously called for 6094M.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
They got it in 5W-30 at Walmart. Any of you guys try it?

u can type that in the search section too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back