How long can I store oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to run delo 10w30 but I can only find it in 5 gallon pails. I'm guessing it would take me about a year to use it all as I only need a gallon and a half at a time. Also any suggestions on how to get a precise measurement from a Pail would be appreciated.

I have oil nearing a decade old.

You could get a plastic pyrex-style measuring pitcher from the dollar store. If you don't get the "keg pump" you're in for a mess.

If you retain a mobil style "wide mouth" oil jug for intermediate transfer that's the perfect answer, too.

I buy rotella in 5 gallon pails for my bikes. I use an empty quart bottle to measure out whatever I need. Pouring isn't too bad as long as the pail is vented properly and not "glug glug"

I have 7 changes worth of oil on the rack in the garage. The oldest was bought about 3 years ago.

The biggest concern is having the additive pack settle. I give my old oil cans a shake a day before I use them. Of course a 5 gal pail isn't as easily shaken. The make paint shakers which accept 5 gal pails if you are concerned.

Sitting for a year you shouldn't have to worry about settling, but if you are just throw it in your trunk on a bumpy ride every few months.

I give my stash a little shake whenever i get a chance. My stash is pathetically small though.

I am still using GC from 2004-2005. So far no issues. My understanding is that oil stored unopened in a climate controlled environment is good for a very long time. I do shake the bottles before using--just in case.

Last edited:
I don't like locking in to much more than 5-6 oil changes...

Because I see a better deal or an oil that I really want to try.

Right now my favorite oil to get, if I was to do my stash all over again, would be Mazda Idemitsu 0W20.

I only very recently found out I can get it for $6.50 a litre, for a great 0W20 that is amazing.

I have a few 5qt guys that are nearly 2 years old. I worried about add pack settling so day before I turn the jug that will not be completely used upside down. 2 of my sumps are 7qt. Is this even doing anything??

Originally Posted By: Michael_P
The biggest concern is having the additive pack settle. I give my old oil cans a shake a day before I use them. Of course a 5 gal pail isn't as easily shaken. The make paint shakers which accept 5 gal pails if you are concerned.

If you had a 55 gallon drum how would you shake that?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Michael_P

If you had a 55 gallon drum how would you shake that?
shocked.gif

I do it by sticking a funnel in the little bung hole and pumping the drum pump into it for a while. The pump picks up on the bottom and the funnel drops the oil on top.

You could just lay it on its side and roll it around if you had somebody to help stand it back up. If it were on a dolly that lays it on its side, you could grab the handles and slosh it back and forth.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
5 years I recall was the recommended magic number for shelf life of oil.

That begs the question of what begins to happen to oil after 5 years.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Bamaro
Originally Posted By: virginoil
5 years I recall was the recommended magic number for shelf life of oil.

That begs the question of what begins to happen to oil after 5 years.
21.gif

Spontaneous combustion...

I bought dozens of the QSUD close out from autozone a few months back. They were all between 4-5 years old and they had settling on the bottom (clear bottles). Even with vigorous shaking for a few minutes there is still some residue left on the bottom. Should that be cause for concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back