17/32 wrench?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a 17/32 wrench for the seat-post nut on an English Hercules bicycle. I'd prefer a box, but only find tappet open-ended wrenches in this size. Any ideas? By the way, an adjustable for this application doesn't work; I tried. Vice grips might work, but I don't want to degrade the nut.

mac tools makes one.
Edit: made one.. not available now.

you could try a 14mm or 1/2 and open it up abit.

Last edited:
Don't buy a new wrench, buy a new bolt.

Get one in the same thread pitch that has a findable socket or wrench size.

Would save you the cost of a new wrench, that's for sure. And eliminate future headaches.

You can use that 17/32" bolt as a conversation piece... I guess.

Originally Posted By: Rand
mac tools makes one.
Edit: made one.. not available now.

you could try a 14mm or 1/2 and open it up abit.

That be a typo It was supposed to be 13mm or 1/2"

Originally Posted By: Falken

Would save you the cost of a new wrench, that's for sure. And eliminate future headaches.

You can use that 17/32" bolt as a conversation piece... I guess.

This is the correct answer.

Go to www.mcmaster.com and begin your bolt search. Buy a couple.

Originally Posted By: Falken

Great idea.

...once you get the bolt out.
56.gif

I agree with the previous posters who recommended a 1/2" wrench and a file. Or find a machinist with a CNC mill who'll massage out a socket for you. I'll do it for a six pack...

Thanks for all your replies. I agree that it's a good idea to change the nut. I wonder, though, could it be a Whitworth thread? I guess I'll find out.

I think you are confusing the bolts actual size with spanner size. A 1/4 Whitworth wrench (AKA spanner in many English publications) has nothing to do with a 1/4 inch bolt.
In the article you linked to you can see this with the 5/8 wrench they picture, a 5/8 Whitworth wrench is huge.

I went through this PITA many years ago when i fiddled around with English bikes like AJS, HRD, Ariel, Norton, etc. Whitworth while not the only factor surly contributed to the demise of British machines on the Continent and N.America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back