Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0T oil opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Hello all,
Just took ownership of a Turbo 2.0 Santa Fe, live in Miami Fl, 30 mile to and from work, 80% city, normal driving with occasional spirited drive. Will be performing 3500 mile oci with either OEM, Bosch distance plus or Purolator classic oil filters. OEM air filter. I am a SOPUS guy and wondering if the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend ($16 at WMart) 5w30 is held in high regard. I just read the specs and see that it has 'at least 50% group lll synthetic base stock'. For the price, I find this to be a great deal. I would love to read your opinions. Also, I am using 87 octane. Note: Hyundai does not require synthetic oil for any of its DI engines, turbo or not.

I would only use synthetic in a turbo, whether or not Hyundai requires it. PP, or QSUD would be good options. QSUD is a good, well priced full synthetic. And why bosch distance plus, OEM (both great options) then a puro classic, that is in a different class all together.

Last edited:
QSUD is another one on the list but because I have a biased towards no more than 4k mile oci, I didnt see the benefits. Always had great uao with all those oil filters but the Distance Plus just seems to be more robust. OEM filter is very nice as well. And please folks, no bringing up the legendary TSB from Hyundai 2005 concerning the oil filter issue.

Last edited:
I ran Synthetic in our 2.0T as I feel a turbocharged DI engine benefits the most from a syn. However, at a 3500 mile OCI, I wouldn't spend money for syn. The Pennzoil Blend you mentioned will be just fine.

For the record, Hyundai/Kia oil filters are very nice filters IMO. They're all that I used on ours and my mother in laws 2.4 GDI.

First off a boosted engine needs high octane or performance will suffer. And just picking an oil change interval out of the blue sounds absurd to me. Do you have any data to base that interval on?
I suggest reading the articles on the home page written by Dnewton before making any actual interval decisions.
You may learn something and save some money in the process.

In the Hyundai manual, 3000 severe, 5000 normal oci for 2.0T. 87 octane is recommended in the manual as well. There is NO performance gain in using higher octane. Absurd, lol... anyway, back to oil opinions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
QSUD is another one on the list but because I have a biased towards no more than 4k mile oci, I didnt see the benefits. Always had great uao with all those oil filters but the Distance Plus just seems to be more robust. OEM filter is very nice as well. And please folks, no bringing up the legendary TSB from Hyundai 2005 concerning the oil filter issue.
You just brought it up

Lol, I surely did. I agree, you'd be hard pressed to find a much better filter. I think as long as the Pennzoil Synthetic Blend is under $18 a 5qt jug, im in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
In the Hyundai manual, 3000 severe, 5000 normal oci for 2.0T. 87 octane is recommended in the manual as well. There is NO performance gain in using higher octane. Absurd, lol... anyway, back to oil opinions.
This must be your first turbo. Forced induction engines do benefit from higher octane.

Nope, not my first turbo by far. WRX, EVO8, RALLIART, AUDI A4, Cooper S (supercharged). Hyundai claims no measurable improvement (MPG)with the higher octane. Only slight HP and Torque. I may try 93 for arguments sake.

HYUNDAI USA:

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. We appreciate the opportunity to clarify fuel octane requirements for the 2013Santa Fe Sport 2.0 Turbo.

After completing some research on the Santa Fe Sport, the 2.0 Turbocharged engine can effectively operate on 87 octane (regular) or 91 octane (premium). Owners should not expect to see a fuel economy increase or decrease with different grades of fuel, however, higher octane fuels will yield slightly higher performance in regards to horsepower and torque numbers.

We hope this information has been most helpful for you. We have documented your comments as case number 4974940 which can be referenced if we may provide any further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America.

Last edited:
According to Hyundai it is a couple horsepower difference with 91 octane, but nothing you could really take to the bank. The sophisticated computer controls will meter fuel enough to favor economy over performance.
That being said, even though the purpose of this engine design is to provide 6 cylinder power with 4 cylinder economy, the 2.0t is a blast to drive, with a governed top speed of 152mph.
They are very hard on oil, so extended drains are out of the question.

Last edited:
WEMAY-I would use what you suggested and go from there. Start with a few OCI's of 3500 miles and then try and stretch it out to 5K... Eventually I think I would do 5K OCI's with PP...

Enjoy, thats a nice vehicle for the money.

Thanks Boss302fan. I think i will send off for 3 oci worth of uoa's on this oil and take it from there. As an aside, my local Walmart has Castrol SynBlend (grey bottle) for $16.27 (5qt jug). The Pennzoil Synthetic Blend is on sale for $17.27. But PSB is the only one that states the oh so important... 'at least 50% synthetic...' Food for thought if anyone else is in the market for Blends.

Last edited:
I guess oil talk is like religion or guns, lol. Although a SOPUS user for a long time, I am not averse to switching to Mobil1 etc. Also not averse to going 5k mile oci if switching to a synthetic. We'll see. Oil change coming up soon.

...while at the dealership picking up the Navigation sd chip yesterday, I realized the car already had its post factory fill oil change (I bought it as a demo with 6000 miles). I asked for that service record and when handed to me, showed oil change at 3000 miles using Mobil1 5w30. I may not disrupt the apple cart and stay this course. Currently at 7000 on the odo so oil change is coming soon.

Ok..
Used M1 and M1-104. 3500 mile oci. Thank you all for your input.

Originally Posted By: SHOPete
New owner '13 Hyundai GLS V6. "Hyundai recommends Quaker State" I'm concerned about valve deposits in DI engines (like ours). After looking at Volatility on PQIA http://www.pqiamerica.com/samplesummaryPCMOrev4test.htm, I decided to stick with QSUD (8.8%). Only PZU looks better (6.6%).

I prefer to go by TBN, which is higher in M1. Even though my OCI is relatively short. But any of the oils sited by us is more than sufficient.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back