Naval Jelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't sure if this belonged in the tool forum or what, but here goes.

I've never tried naval jelly, but now that I'm doing more work with mild steel fabrication, I need a quick way of removing rust. I have various wire wheels and sanding discs and things, but is naval jelly good as well?

That stuff is AWESOME. It chemically neutralizes the rust, but you must paint over it immediately. I've used it with great success.

Navel Jelly (containing acid) has to be alot better than the rust nuetralizer (water base) they sell in most stores.

I use a product made by OSPHO
It contains phosphoric acid.

Best rust neutralizer you can use: Dissolve some zinc oxide in phosphoric acid. Make sure it's still plenty acidic...stay on, let soak, rinse off. Reapply a few times. then paint immediately.

This is what I use with GREAT SUCCESS!!

If you can't get a hold of phosphoric acid or zinc oxide....POR 15 makes it as well.

The acid eats the iron oxide (rust) away, and the ionic zinc auto-plates onto the steel...which basically seals it from continuing to rust. It's slick and effective.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its acid.Nothing unusual.

Granted, it's only 10-30 % phosphoric acid, but the label precaution from Loctite Products website says:
Quote:
CAUTION: Contains Phosphoric acid. Avoid
contact with skin and eyes. Wear rubber
gloves when using. Use in a well-ventilated
area. For eye contact, flush with water for 15
minutes, call a physician. For skin contact,
wash thoroughly with soap and water. If
swallowed, do not induce vomiting, give large
quantities of water to drink, call a physician.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Aren't all the "rust dissolvers" (Naval Jeppy included) phosphoric acid? They turn the area black then white.

As others have mentioned you need to paint afterwards.

Eastwood sells Rust Encapsulator which produces a very hard shell covering. But you cannot sand it.

Loctite Extend seems to be a rust treatment and covering in one product.

Naval jelly is next to useless. If you need something to use on rust, just grab a quart/gallon of Ospho, a spray bottle, and call it a day.

Steel panels get little pits, and its impossible to get all the rust off the panel. Sand it, hit it with Ospho, let it dry, quick sand, tack rag and seal/prime immediately.

Hello, I hope it works for you. I bought some 2 months ago. The employees in the Home Depot didn't even know it was in stock. It was so weak I returned it. I recall it being much more effective back in the '60's or '70's when I first tried it.

I'd go with the rust neutralizer from Rusto-Leum they sell today. That works well. At least I haven't seen rust bleed through it yet.

Let us know how it works for you. Kira

Permatex makes products called rust remover and rust treatment that should be good alternatives to naval jelly. Rust remover is a gel that dissolves rust. Rust treatment is brushed or sprayed on and stops the rust, then converts it to a very durable polymer coating that that can be worked or painted with anything. Napa usually has both of them in stock.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Permatex makes products called rust remover and rust treatment that should be good alternatives to naval jelly. Rust remover is a gel that dissolves rust. Rust treatment is brushed or sprayed on and stops the rust, then converts it to a very durable polymer coating that that can be worked or painted with anything. Napa usually has both of them in stock.

I am thinking the the Permatex rust remover is the same as naval jelly?

Originally Posted By: punisher
Naval jelly is next to useless. If you need something to use on rust, just grab a quart/gallon of Ospho, a spray bottle, and call it a day.

Steel panels get little pits, and its impossible to get all the rust off the panel. Sand it, hit it with Ospho, let it dry, quick sand, tack rag and seal/prime immediately.

Ospho is phosphoric acid like naval jelly.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: AMC

I am thinking the the Permatex rust remover is the same as naval jelly?

Yes, but hopefully Permatex was able to improve upon the formula and make it better than the original naval jelly. IMO, Permatex makes great quality stuff, so it might be worth while for the OP to go to their local Napa and pick up a small bottle of the stuff to try it.

Last edited:

Ospho is phosphoric acid like naval jelly.

Yup, I can read a label to.

My point was it is a lot easier/quicker to use Ospho vs Naval Jelly.

I will try and get a piece of rusty scrap steel I have and try a few out including Extend.

Great Idea! Post pics here so we can see your results too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back