Bug bumper clean up - Ugh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wifey drives on this country road 45 min each way to work, and at least one trip at night..
it's mostly farm lands, and you can see what happens...
this is just 3 days (6 trips) worth of bugs.

Just a quick clean up only. There were still a few stuck in the grill in hard to get spots, but had no time...Got most of it off though.
(soaked in ONR at QD strength, sprayed with garden hose, then some Auto Finesse Oblitarate - really softens the bug/tar [censored] quick, then quick ONR wash, and sprayed a bit of Meg's quick wax.)

Nice save! Check out Poorboys Bug Squash. That's supposed to be the best per Rick on here. You can dilute it down. Spray, let dwell, soapy sponge, rinse, voila!

I do an hour to work each morning in the dark and across south Florida farm lands. After a week my bumper looks worse. I try to keep three good coats of paste wax on the front grill and bumper. I use the easy to remove wax on the rest of the car because removing paste wax takes a lot of time and elbow grease. I use some various tire shine products on the light lenses.
With the wax on a gentle soap usually can get the bugs off with two passes.

It seems to me that using Klasse SG sealant on the car and topped with eagle wax as u dry spray wax, bugs come off really easy. Best combo i've used yet.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Nice save! Check out Poorboys Bug Squash. That's supposed to be the best per Rick on here. You can dilute it down. Spray, let dwell, soapy sponge, rinse, voila!

It is indeed my go to and you can take it with you on a trip to keep the varmints at bay. Friend just bought a used black Vette and drove it back from Houston. Not knowing any better he let the bugs dry in the sun for two days. Two applications of Bug Squash and two MF towels did the trick.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
i am assuming like most bug/tar cleaners, you have to reapply wax after use of PB BSQ?

I would be curious about this as well. I have had good luck with DG 471 (enough that I bought the gallon size), and like that it does not remove wax/sealant. Don't know if it is as strong Bug Squash.

http://www.duragloss.com/Exterior-Cleaners/Bug-Remover/22-oz.---Duragloss-BR-(Bug-Remover)

So I researched a bit on the PBBS.
It seems according to many reviews, if you use it at recommended 3:1 dilution, it WILL NOT remove any LSPs.

But it probably won't hurt to do a quick spray wax in 2-3minutes; peace of mind.

I am hoping to get some PB [censored]. the Auto Finesse oblitarate is great, but expensive...
At the rate wife's Mazda collects bugs, I might go for the gallon size.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thanks for the tip - i am assuming like most bug/tar cleaners, you have to reapply wax after use of PB BSQ?

I see you already found the answer but I'll back it up.....when diluted it will not remove a good LSP but used full strength (I've never had to do so) it will.

Here is what I use....and it works INCREDIBLE.

Strip your bumper or your entire car of it's wax....use Simple Green or Dawn. Get it as clean as you can. If you need to use a polish to clear up any spots, that's fine. Just make sure you re-wax with stripping soap to remove any residue.

Apply 2 coats of ReJex, at least 12 hours apart. ReJex is a paint sealant. It outperforms the rest of them I think. Super easy to apply and remove.

Than apply 2 coats of a good paste wax. I like Collinite waxes. Paste wax isn't that tough to use. Just don't let it dry so hard.

This system goes on my 3 vehicles and 3 boats. It took a long time to settle on this "system"....it's the real deal.

Even if you don't wax your bumper, even if you just apply a coat or two of ReJex to it....the bugs goop sprays right off with a power sprayer. Wipes right off with a wash cloth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
Apply 2 coats of ReJex, at least 12 hours apart.

As you're aware, I have it on the windshield and it's still working great. I didn't put any on the bumper yet (big mistake) and it's clear that the windshield is much, much easier to clean than the untreated bumper.

I know this sounds crazy but I had a guy tell me that Bounce dryer sheets will remove bugs. First I heard of it, but he drives his Tri-Five Chevys to car shows and swears by it!

Anybody else heard of such a thing? Makes me wonder but his show cars are gorgeous and he does drive them to all the shows.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I know this sounds crazy but I had a guy tell me that Bounce dryer sheets will remove bugs. First I heard of it, but he drives his Tri-Five Chevys to car shows and swears by it!

Anybody else heard of such a thing? Makes me wonder but his show cars are gorgeous and he does drive them to all the shows.

Yep. Works great and is disposable. Use before actual car cleaning or use a detail spray afterwards.
I learned that trick a few years ago. You don't have to use name brand dryer sheets,any kind will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back