Need help find a tablets for 9 year old girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter birthday coming up . I'm plan on getting her a tablet . I'm a big apple fan but I'm sure not getting her an iPad . I feel apple product is too much limited what you can do . Everything need iTunes ...

Any tablet that easy to use ...

whatever you go, or even minding your budget, don't go 7" or the very cheap versions.
go 10" (better screen, and you protect her eyes)
samsung has some, others may chime in with opinions about the nexus.
make sure you buy at least a tpu case and some screen protector sheets. they are also some cases that may protect better.
if on a budget look for deals at stores around you or at main internet guys(newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, etc....)

I love the ipad mini as it is a better form factor for handling/holding as compared to the big ones.

SO there is an ipad mini and the samsung galaxy tab in the smaller sizes.

I know big screen is all the rage, but having used a full size ipad for a few years now, I really like the mini from a handling standpoint, and Im a big guy.

SO Id look at gaaxy tab and ipad mini. Id bet that galaxy tab needs its equivalent of itunes, and for a 9 year old, you may want control on what they can and can't do in terms of getting and loading on the tablet.

What budget are you looking at?

1st Gen Nexus 7 can still be had at Staples for just under $180. They may still be running periodic coupons as well for additional savings.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" is at Walmart for $169. Great price for a great tablet, I owned one.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
whatever you go, or even minding your budget, don't go 7" or the very cheap versions.
go 10" (better screen, and you protect her eyes)
samsung has some, others may chime in with opinions about the nexus.
make sure you buy at least a tpu case and some screen protector sheets. they are also some cases that may protect better.
if on a budget look for deals at stores around you or at main internet guys(newegg, tigerdirect, amazon, etc....)

I think this is good advice. I'd shoot for a 10" android tablet, buy a cheap TPU case off ebay for it. We have an Acer 10" tablet but I'm sure a Samsung or other brand would be just as good, especially for a kid.

Ipads are still the best tablet for children due to the amount of children's Applications, especially for childhood development. Today's apple keynote will probably have the mini drop to a good price point. I just picked up a perfect condition mini on Craigslist for $150. I'd take that route personally

I'd recommend the iPad or iPad Mini.

Like jigen said, it's more kid friendly. It may be a bit limited, but she is 9.

If you want a "new" one look at the refurbs from Apple. new battery, new case, old guts, works great.

You don't need an iTune to use iPad. They are easier to use than Andriod, if that matters. They are also more rugged and durable than the Samsung Galaxy of my friend. He dropped his tablet 4" from his hand to the top of his table, and the screen shattered, literally, and the warranty claim is denied.

p.s. I do have a bias toward iPad and iPhone for the physical build quality.

im currently still using new ipad 3 with otterbox defender case. With case its a bit heavy, but its build like a tank. Beside I already have over 100+ app ( game, kids app.. ) on my itune account, im leading toward ipad mini.

You don't have to use iTunes to use an Apple tablet. We have an iPad 4th generation and don't think we've ever plugged it into the computer (where you would need iTunes). Any app purchases are through the App Store, which is separate from iTunes.

We have both an iPad and an Acer Android tablet, and recommend the Apple tablet by FAR for children. The amount of quality childrens' applications on the iPad far surpasses what is available on Google Play.

I would also, by far, recommend the fullsize iPad. Our kids are 8 and 4, and it's very easy for them to hold it and to use it. The Mini might be fine for just kids, but if you ever want to use it, you will notice the much better display on the full iPad vs. the Mini. The Mini also gives up processing power to the fullsize model (it has an older A5 chip, vs. the A5X and A6X in the 3rd and 4th generation iPad respectively). Its display is only 1024x768, at 163 pixels per inch. The fullsize 3rd or 4th generation is 2048x1536, at 264 pixels per inch. So there's a difference in physical screen size, but you also get more than 50% more pixels per inch in the fullsize compared with the Mini.

Opinions will certainly differ, but I see little value in the Mini. They're not any easier for smaller hands to use (if anything, the larger iPad is easier for them to hold), and as an adult, I can't see myself preferring the Mini to the fullsize for anything.

Personally I would stick to iPad Mini for cost,applications,ease of use and also availability of quality hard cases like otter box.

My kids also do love my Nexus 7 1st gen(use for work testing mobile web applications) and have no issues transitions from apple to ipod. I just cannot find a decent case for it.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I'd say iPad. I was never an Apple fanboy. Now, I have an iphone, kids have ipod touches, and wife had ipad.

That's the way I started. In fact, I was *against* Apple for the longest time. You couldn't get me to own an Apple product if they were the last electronics maker on Earth. Then my wife got an iPhone 4S. My opinion of them changed in about 30 seconds. Then my brother sold us his mid-2007 iMac. My opinion of iMacs changed in short order. We now have two iPhone 4S's, two iMacs (though one is a very old G3 iMac), and one iPad 4(th generation). Next purchase will likely be an Apple TV, though we are very happy with our Roku boxes.

My dad was the same as me. Couldn't get him to even look at an Apple product. In the last year, he's bought a MacBook Pro with Retina display (incredible, by the way) and an iPad 4.

Kids are getting music players for Christmas, but they won't be iPods. Too much to spend on something for an 8yo and 5yo to bang around. Maybe when they're older...

For kids, you can't beat what is available on iTunes. So I'd go with an iPad mini or full size. And I'm definitely not an Apple fan boy as some on here are probably aware
smile.gif

Check out the 7" and 8" nextpad's sold at Walmart. They are $79 and $99. 1.5 ghz dual core with hd screen. They have hdmi out and can take external sd card. I got my son the 8" two weeks ago for his birthday (turned 10) and he loves it. One of the best things ..... $9 for 2 year full accidental break warranty from Walmart. Scores very well on antutu and quadrant test.

Biggest complaint people have on walmart site is that not 100% of apps are available on google play. I am very advanced user and will tell you that you can side load apps and even put on other app stores such as amazon, getjar or others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back