Another Toyota/Lexus recall. First fix didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the link

The Associated Press

Published Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:47AM EDT

DETROIT -- Toyota is recalling 880,000 RAV-4s and Lexus sedans in the U.S. and Canada because a repair announced last year may not have solved a safety problem.

RAV-4s from the 2006 through 2011 model years and 2010 Lexus HS-250hs are involved.

In Canada, the recall affects about 100,000 vehicles.

Toyota says if rear suspension nuts aren't tightened properly after a wheel alignment, the arms can rust and separate from the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

At least nine crashes and three injuries related to the problem have been reported.

Toyota recalled the vehicles last August for the same issue, but a spokeswoman says the repair procedure wasn't correct.

Wow! Toyota is really producing some [censored] in the past 5 years or so. They are doing what GM did and got to big for their own good and quality has suffered a lot. I almost bought a Rav4 and Camery back in 2008 and 2012. Glad I bought a CRV and Accord instead.

Any manufacturer can have this type of issue. As long as Toyota does a recall and fixes the issue (again, if needed) then what's the problem? If you have the effected vehicle, take it in, get the bolts torqued down properly and enjoy your ride.

I don't see this as a big deal.

Now if cars were blowing up, engines catching fire, transmissions failing, etc, I'd say quality has suffered.

Something like this (over a few bolts) is not a big deal, IMO and won't stop me from buying a Toyota (I just bought a 2011 Avalon a month ago)

I'm not sure about a dealership, but in the shops I've been at, the torque wrench is either a fancy looking breaker bar or is used after the guy airguns the fasteners on at 500+lbs of torque.
then they use the torque wrench that we already know is out of spec anyway.

So if this recall is right, it means toyota tech's are actually using a torque wrench vs. the air ratchet/gun to tighten the nuts.
And the toyota spec wasn't enough poundage.
So how many dealership nationwide did this? I'm pretty sure most of them air gunned that nut on. it shouldn't have come off to easily..

The worse modern day car I've owned was a Honda Accord EX. The only thing that did not go wrong with that car was the engine. Everything else, went wrong. Transmission, roof leaks, A/C, CV Boot leaks, etc. etc. etc.

Even worse, was the treatment I got from Honda Dealers. "I'm sorry mister X...., but we have not been able to duplicate the problem". Sometimes it took me two or three visits to get a problem corrected. This car was made on a Monday or Friday in Marysville Ohio. After the last fix, talking with the district service rep, who told me "oh, we have a fix for that now". I said "do you mean that dealers and Honda have known about the problem and always say that it is the first time they heard of it, or that they could not duplicate the problem"? (no answer). Got the last problem fixed, then traded it for a Toyota Camry LE which never had any problems in the 100+k miles I put on it.

Have never considered a Honda since. (this is a Honda, and Honda's don't have problems -- Ha!)

Originally Posted By: Artem
Any manufacturer can have this type of issue. As long as Toyota does a recall and fixes the issue (again, if needed) then what's the problem? If you have the effected vehicle, take it in, get the bolts torqued down properly and enjoy your ride.

I don't see this as a big deal.

Now if cars were blowing up, engines catching fire, transmissions failing, etc, I'd say quality has suffered.

Something like this (over a few bolts) is not a big deal, IMO and won't stop me from buying a Toyota (I just bought a 2011 Avalon a month ago)

Sure it's not a big deal and that's what a lot of people have been saying when GM and Ford had their recalls. However what's funny is that when Toyota had relatively few recalls due to much smaller production scale and parts sharing, the fan boys viewed that as a sign of quality and bashed the Big Three for their recalls all the time.

Ever since Toyota and Honda started their massive recall campaigns, recalls are now viewed as a sign of manufacturers caring about their customers. Go figure
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem

"You might be a blatant raving Toyota fan-boy if you don't consider suspension coming apart a big deal." - Jeff Foxworthy

I am amazed,the supposibly smart Japanese cannot even repair their own products correctly....its bad enough they didnt make/assemble it correct to begin with.I think the radiation from the overflowing nuclear plant is ruining their minds.

Atleast they have published a recall and are 'trying' rather than other manufacturers that just ignore or deny the problem.

Get a Subaru, it'll make you miss Toyota.

Everyone has recalls, unless its a major issue I dont think it reflects badly upon any one company. You want to see Honda recalls? Enjoy:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121102/CARNEWS/121119866
Every mfr has recalls, some cars are better than others, and i dont think this thread was intended to bash an MFR. Everyone has recalls and vehicle preferences. Everyone I know has had multiple issues with American cars, therefore I prefer Japanese cars. That is my opinion. To each their own.

I have some questions on this. Inquiring minds want to know.

What is the torque spec for this nut? Anyone know?

How much difference in torque settings would it take for rust to set up and cause a problem? Ten, twenty, thirty foot pounds?

What am I missing in the design of the suspension that causes a part to degrade because of insufficient torque?

Only dumb questions are one's that aren't asked, so it's said. Can someone please explain?

On the other hand, my mother-in-law, now in a rest home has an 03 Camry that my sister-in-law drives and it's been trouble free since the day it was purchased.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I am amazed,the supposibly smart Japanese ....

Sorry could not resist.....

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk
Atleast they have published a recall and are 'trying' rather than other manufacturers that just ignore or deny the problem.

Get a Subaru, it'll make you miss Toyota.

Exactly,

Maybe Chrylser should take a course on customer safety 101.

^^^Wonder if you know that dramatic burned out hulks on film are a dime a dozen. Certainly not just Chrysler.

Want some BMW stories?

The definition of troll...

^^^

Please share you BMW stories. I am sorry but at least Toyota is doing the right thing and not denying they have a safety problem. Chrysler knows of the 51 deaths caused by a faulty design in with their fuel tanks. I am sorry you feel that I am a troll. I beg to differ.

Everybody has recalls. Some just do a better job then others.

Oh, by the way I am not a Toyota fan or have ever been, but kudos to them for at least trying to fix their mistakes.

Even the Pinto was recalled after 27 deaths.

Last edited:
A simple Google search will show tons of results for almost any brand you select. Even the blue propeller brand! Does that mean much? Probably not.

I have LEO friends who died in CVPI accidents years ago. My BIL was severely burned in an auto accident. Even one preventable death is too much IMO.

Say what you want, but any attempt to somehow claim the moral high ground for Toyota is pure baloney. EVERY manufacturer has issues, and most of them are ignored until they become expensive enough to get the attention they deserve. You can bet if those folks have a claim a sharp attorney is on it and will get Chrysler's attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back