Super tech 5W-20 Synthetic is it okfor my Fords?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently my Walmart has stocked the Super Tech Synthetic in the 5w-20 viscosity which is what my Fords use. I have a 4.6 & a 5.4 . I however did not see the specified Ford Spec WSS-M2C945-A on the bottle? Is this oil ok for my Ford Modular V8 engines?

Last edited:
It will work just fine, but if you're under warranty I would stick to something that has the spec on the bottle. QSUD and PP both do and aren't much more expensive. Or check your local O'Reilly Auto Parts for PP 5W-20 on clearance for $2.57 a quart. That's cheaper than dino at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Originally Posted By: 3putter
yes. great oil,great price.

Maybe but I don't see the Ford spec?

Ford's spec is ISLAC GF-5 API SN spec for 5W20. If Supertech meets both specs which is does. It meets Ford's spec. Also if you properly document your OCI's any Ford service manager worth his weight in salt will back you up if any warranty work needs to be done on your engine during warranty period.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: 3putter
yes. great oil,great price.

Maybe but I don't see the Ford spec?

Ford's spec is ISLAC GF-5 API SN spec for 5W20. If Supertech meets both specs which is does. It meets Ford's spec. Also if you properly document your OCI's any Ford service manager worth his weight in salt will back you up if any warranty work needs to be done on your engine during warranty period.

In recent years Ford has called for one of their WSS spec's FWIW.

"SN, SM, ILSAC GF-4 and all North American warranty requirements"

Good Grief, Charley Brown! A full synthetic 5W-20 oughta' haul the mail, warranty-wise...

Cheers!

Your engine has been designed to use Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that meet Ford
specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that
meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.

From Ford on the ford wss-m2c945-a spec.

Your engine has been designed to use Motorcraft engine oils or equivalent oils that meet Ford
specifications. It is also acceptable to use an engine oil of recommended viscosity grade that
meets API SN requirements and displays the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.

Yeah, depends on the spec. Some of them are a bit more strict.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

What for a GT 500?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

What for a GT 500?

Well yeah, that's a pretty good example, LOL!!!

But say for example the 2013 Mustang manual:

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WODMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/13musom3e.pdf

Originally Posted By: Ford
2. Add engine oil that meets Ford specifications. See Capacities and
Specifications for more information.

Quote:
WSS-M2C945-A with API
Certification Mark

Use of synthetic or synthetic blend motor oil is not mandatory. Engine oil need only meet the
requirements of Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A and display the API Certification Mark.
Your engine has been designed to be used with Ford engine oil, which gives a fuel economy
benefit while maintaining the durability of your engine.
Using oils other than the one specified can result in longer engine cranking periods, reduced
engine performance, reduced fuel economy and increased emission levels.

No mention of just using an oil that meets the API SN requirements.
21.gif

Probably varies by vehicle. Where did you get your info?

I got it from a 2014 manual. It seems Ford just made it simpler for owners to read their manuals. I have to say it is a welcome change.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOEMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/14musom2e.pdf

I got it from a 2014 manual. It seems Ford just made it simpler for owners to read their manuals. I have to say it is a welcome change.

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pubs/content/~WOEMUS/~MUS~LEN/42/14musom2e.pdf

Very interesting!!!

I also love this line:

Quote:
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives in your engine. They are unnecessary and could
lead to engine damage that is not covered by your Ford warranty.

grin.gif

I wonder if that statement (the one you cited) is applicable to 2013 and earlier vehicles? because in the last several years, it has been as I quoted, stating that you had to use an oil meeting the spec
21.gif

Also, it will be interesting to see if the statement from the Mustang manual carries over to the other vehicles. As it stands, the most recent for the F-150, which is 2013, states the same as I posted earlier about using an oil that meets the noted WSS spec. And also the 946 spec (5w-30) for the Ecoboost engine.

Screw it I'm gonna stick with Mobil 1 or Amsoil for my modular V8' s !

Those will definitely work
smile.gif
However, if you're looking for a deal, Mag1 can be had for under $5/qt on Amazon. Also meets the Ford spec as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back