Airless tires from Hankook

Status
Not open for further replies.
2c3e42f3-63dc-493f-ab8d-af8e26e6c664_hankook-tires.jpg
Quote:
Apart from being puncture proof, the i-Flex tire has many other benefits. It is considerably lighter than conventional tire and wheel combinations and it can also provide a level of shock absorbency through the unique mesh structure. According to Hankook, these two attributes alone contribute to reduced fuel consumption and improved NVH levels.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/hankook-is-latest-to-roll-out-airless-tire-concept-220547506.html

I wonder what the treadlife will be like? I love the concept, but for big heavy vehicles there are a lot of challenges. Guess that is why they are demoing it on a tiny VW

Can you see the people that will run this tire until they're on the hub?

I believe the concept of airless tires has been around for a while. Bicycles tire makers tried it for a while but it didn't catch on. I don't think this will become mainstream in the automotive tire arena.

I wonder if they can ever produce these at normal tire and rim price? Stamped steel rims are pretty cheap, even cast alloys are cheap too. Probably lifetime tire and rim cost for a Camry is $50/rim and 3-4 sets of tires at $100 each. Can they retail them for $110 each? I doubt it.
Maybe for a niche for vehicles that sit alot? But even my 12 year old ATV tires still function perfectly, no cracks or leaks but its stored undercover which helps.

These days you're supposed to swap out tires every what, 7 years? Due not just UV issues but internal breakdown of the tire. I wonder how these airless tires fare for not just length of life but end of life issues: recycling tires isn't that easy, but it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back