First Time Liqui Moly MoS2 Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
The liqui-moly brand of mos2 is a bit different than other brands and comparing their version made today agains a moly add made decades ago is pretty much the same as comparing today's engine oils against the oils of that vintage.
They might be mos2 but they aren't the same.
Not that I'm trying to take away from anyone's experiences its just that the stuff made today isn't the same.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The liqui-moly brand of mos2 is a bit different than other brands and comparing their version made today agains a moly add made decades ago is pretty much the same as comparing today's engine oils against the oils of that vintage. They might be mos2 but they aren't the same. Not that I'm trying to take away from anyone's experiences its just that the stuff made today isn't the same.

I'm not so sure about that. In the US, the big refiner/re-packager of MoS2 is/was Dow Corning Corporation in Midland, Michigan. Way back when, they packaged this stuff in liquid suspension form for VW of America. The actual product was a thin, very black oil suspension. It looked about the same as Liqui-Moly today, except that it came in smaller tubes - little blue-colored plastic 'pillows' about 4" x 2" x 1" - maybe ~150 ml. of oil suspension.

Most of the raw material in the US actually comes from Climax Molydenum Corporation. From everything I've read, the powdered raw material is available in several grades: 8-10 micron size is the most coarse; 2-5 micron size is sometimes referred to as technical or lab grade and finally 1-2 micron size is also available. [BTW, all of these grades are available on eBay!!] For liquid suspensions in oil, the raw material is refined down to .2-.3 micron size. These particles are so small that they don't have enough weight to settle out of the oil (or settle out very slowly). I don't know how well 1-2 micron size would work in an engine, but it would probably work okay. All of these sizes are small enough to pass through a conventional automobile oil filter (which might catch and hold ~20 micron-sized particles, but nothing much smaller).

Dow Corning is still in the Moly refining and application business. Today, they only advertise greases, pastes and similar products. I didn't see any liquid suspensions in their product list, but I was tempted to write and ask. Since this same raw material is used in grease and bullet mold lubricants and a variety of other industrial applications, Dow is probably servicing their most profitable markets.

After VW discontinued this product, a auto performance speed shop over near Philly stocked and sold it - this time in yellow 'pillows' which looked exactly the same as the VW product (but for the color). But, they have also faded into history.

Molydenum Disulfide is simply an industrial lubricant - not miracle snake-oil. In oil suspension, it's somewhat of a fringe product. If a major oil refiner or even an end-user wanted the product to add to motor oil, I'm sure Dow or some other chemical company would be glad to supply it. For automotive use, it is really not cost effective except for fleet operators.

Dave5358 wrote:

"I've been using it since the 1970's. Back then, VW of America bought it from Dow-Corning and sold it through their dealerships for addition to air cooled engines (which shared an oil supply with the transmission - probably not VW's best idea)."

To which air-cooled VW are you referring? VW Type 1 Beetles certainly don't.

Originally Posted By: Injured_Again
I haven't been on BITOG all that long, but has anyone torn apart an engine after using MoS2 and seen anything that looks like plating?

For those of you who have not done this, our host has provided reading material on this website about what MoS2 does and how it works (including electron microscope images of how MoS2 bonds to the wear parts inside an engine). Also, note in your reading that our host endorses the use of Mos2.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly-basics/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/applications-for-lubrication/
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/what-is-blow-by/

After putting it in our old 94 ranger I have notice the engine has run smoother seemed quieter than before.

Nothing scientific mind you, just observations after a few weeks driving after adding it versus before adding.

I have not kept close eye on gas mileage with it (before or after adding) but it does seem "peppier" than before as well.

No clogged filters or other damage noteworthy. So far, nothing but positives here.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
The liqui-moly brand of mos2 is a bit different than other brands and comparing their version made today agains a moly add made decades ago is pretty much the same as comparing today's engine oils against the oils of that vintage. They might be mos2 but they aren't the same. Not that I'm trying to take away from anyone's experiences its just that the stuff made today isn't the same.

I'm not so sure about that. In the US, the big refiner/re-packager of MoS2 is/was Dow Corning Corporation in Midland, Michigan. Way back when, they packaged this stuff in liquid suspension form for VW of America. The actual product was a thin, very black oil suspension. It looked about the same as Liqui-Moly today, except that it came in smaller tubes - little blue-colored plastic 'pillows' about 4" x 2" x 1" - maybe ~150 ml. of oil suspension.

Most of the raw material in the US actually comes from Climax Molydenum Corporation. From everything I've read, the powdered raw material is available in several grades: 8-10 micron size is the most coarse; 2-5 micron size is sometimes referred to as technical or lab grade and finally 1-2 micron size is also available. [BTW, all of these grades are available on eBay!!] For liquid suspensions in oil, the raw material is refined down to .2-.3 micron size. These particles are so small that they don't have enough weight to settle out of the oil (or settle out very slowly). I don't know how well 1-2 micron size would work in an engine, but it would probably work okay. All of these sizes are small enough to pass through a conventional automobile oil filter (which might catch and hold ~20 micron-sized particles, but nothing much smaller).

Dow Corning is still in the Moly refining and application business. Today, they only advertise greases, pastes and similar products. I didn't see any liquid suspensions in their product list, but I was tempted to write and ask. Since this same raw material is used in grease and bullet mold lubricants and a variety of other industrial applications, Dow is probably servicing their most profitable markets.

After VW discontinued this product, a auto performance speed shop over near Philly stocked and sold it - this time in yellow 'pillows' which looked exactly the same as the VW product (but for the color). But, they have also faded into history.

Molydenum Disulfide is simply an industrial lubricant - not miracle snake-oil. In oil suspension, it's somewhat of a fringe product. If a major oil refiner or even an end-user wanted the product to add to motor oil, I'm sure Dow or some other chemical company would be glad to supply it. For automotive use, it is really not cost effective except for fleet operators.

Thanks for that background. Interesting for sure.

My experiences with the stuff have always been positive. I've never had it not improve mileage.
I'd love to know what it does as far as wear is concerned but I'm not doing any uoa to find out. I'm happy as a clam as it is.

I'd love to know what it does as far as wear is concerned but I'm not doing any uoa to find out. I'm happy as a clam as it is.

My first UOA on my Jeep had it in, I will soon be doing another without. Will make for an interesting comparison although I had some other stuff going on first time around so it may be hard to get much out of it.

I've had the chance to run a few more partial tanks (about half) through, with varied kinds of driving. City driving is probably too affected by traffic patterns, and it is really hard to control the rate of acceleration, but overall I seem to be having somewhere in the 3-5% increase in fuel economy. However, steady state freeway driving, I'm seeing about a 10% increase in fuel economy in round trips that will generally cancel out wind and elevation changes.

Engine oil use seems to be negligible in regular driving, being less than a quart every couple of thousand miles, and that is an improvement from before.

I'm about 2000 miles on this oil change and just about to hit 150k miles, so the oil has darkened just from contaminants. It doesn't have that dark brownish/black color of really dirty oil though. It just looks different, like the opacity is in the fluid instead of particles in suspension. That seems weird because there are more particles in suspension now.

I should be taking another short road trip in the next couple of weeks, and will use this car. I am really curious to get to the next oil change, at 5k miles, and see if running the same oil but with half the amount of MoS2 will affect the engine smoothness or fuel economy.

So roughly a 5% - 10% MPG increase from an $8 additive... Not too shabby at all

Thanks for the update

I haven't seen even a wishful 2% increase in MPG in either of the two cars in my signature. Civic has 160k miles and the Vue 104k. Mileage tracked every tank in excel.
5-10% would be quite noticeable and very appreciated. Congrats to those that actually see results. I *may* have slightly smoother or quieter engines, but who knows. I've run it for 1.5 OCIs now (6-10k miles) and have maybe enough to add for one more. After that I won't be buying more unless I see adverse effects when the moly slowly wears off over following OCIs.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I haven't seen even a wishful 2% increase in MPG in either of the two cars in my signature. Civic has 160k miles and the Vue 104k. Mileage tracked every tank in excel. 5-10% would be quite noticeable and very appreciated. Congrats to those that actually see results. I *may* have slightly smoother or quieter engines, but who knows. I've run it for 1.5 OCIs now (6-10k miles) and have maybe enough to add for one more. After that I won't be buying more unless I see adverse effects when the moly slowly wears off over following OCIs.

Moly is usually not advertised for increase mileage. It might happen, which is great. Moly should reduce heat (reduces friction), reduces oil usage past the rings and provides great lubrication on start-up - all important things. For fleet operators, it should increase the oil change interval - a real plus. For consumers, if your vehicle was using 1 quart of oil per 2000 miles (hardly a record) and adding Moly reduced this to 1 quart per 3000 or 4000 miles, plus it increased your oil change interval, that should pay for the additive.

Last edited:
I haven't seen even a wishful 2% increase in MPG in either of the two cars in my signature. Civic has 160k miles and the Vue 104k. Mileage tracked every tank in excel. 5-10% would be quite noticeable and very appreciated. Congrats to those that actually see results. I *may* have slightly smoother or quieter engines, but who knows. I've run it for 1.5 OCIs now (6-10k miles) and have maybe enough to add for one more. After that I won't be buying more unless I see adverse effects when the moly slowly wears off over following OCIs.

Moly is usually not advertised for increase mileage. It might happen, which is great. Moly should reduce heat (reduces friction), reduces oil usage past the rings and provides great lubrication on start-up - all important things. For fleet operators, it should increase the oil change interval - a real plus. For consumers, if your vehicle was using 1 quart of oil per 2000 miles (hardly a record) and adding Moly reduced this to 1 quart per 3000 or 4000 miles, plus it increased your oil change interval, that should pay for the additive.

I never heard of moly increasing your OCI, where did you find that out? I've read, heard, or experienced everything else you mentioned, but I was unaware of it having the ability to increase an OCI for fleet owners. BTW I'm not disputing what you said, it was something I wasn't really aware of.

I haven't seen even a wishful 2% increase in MPG in either of the two cars in my signature. Civic has 160k miles and the Vue 104k. Mileage tracked every tank in excel.
5-10% would be quite noticeable and very appreciated. Congrats to those that actually see results. I *may* have slightly smoother or quieter engines, but who knows. I've run it for 1.5 OCIs now (6-10k miles) and have maybe enough to add for one more. After that I won't be buying more unless I see adverse effects when the moly slowly wears off over following OCIs.

Huh? I've never not gotten a mileage increase using it in a plethora of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I never heard of moly increasing your OCI, where did you find that out? I've read, heard, or experienced everything else you mentioned, but I was unaware of it having the ability to increase an OCI for fleet owners. BTW I'm not disputing what you said, it was something I wasn't really aware of.

You may be going into this the wrong way. Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) is not a new product. It's been used in a variety of industrial processes since at least the first World War. One use is as an alloy of steel, but a another use is as a lubricant. In this latter case, Moly does two things: reduce friction (and thereby reduce heat) and it helps avoid catastrophic failure in the event of oil loss (the 'plating' effect). Logically, if you reduce friction, you might get some better mileage or efficiency, but I've never seen that claim from any responsible source.

Back in the 1960's and 70's, VW of America specified it's use in air cooled engines, in which the engine and transmission shared a common oil supply. My understanding of this use was to reduce heat (and no other claimed benefit). In fact, most VW dealers did not use the product and more than a few air cooled Beetles overheated - particularly in America.

During this same time frame, Eazor Express Corporation did a fairly extensive study of the use of MoS2 in OTR truck hydraulic systems. I apologize, but I cannot find a copy of the study or even a reference to it. The result of their study was that using MoS2 as an additive increased the fluid change interval and service life of the hydraulic systems by a significant amount - say 5-7% (something of that magnitude). For a fleet operator, this was a big deal and their conclusion was that moly was a cost effective additive. For the consumer or passenger vehicle, it is not so clear.

In more recent times, there seems to be some consensus that the use of moly in engine oil will reduce oil usage past the rings in a gasoline engine. This is not inconsistent with the Eazor Express findings. Moly clings to other metal surfaces, such as rings and cylinder walls and bearings. It will stay in place, even if the oil is drained. To a more limited extent, it will stay in place if the oil is drained and replaced. But, the moly coating is temporary - you must add some additional moly with each oil change or it will eventually go away.

As a humorous aside, during the 1960-70's hype of 'miracle moly' one ad featured a demonstration wherein a vehicle (with moly in use) had the engine oil drained. Then, with no engine oil, they drove the vehicle for 25 miles! See, doesn't that prove that moly is great stuff?

Back on planet earth, there seems to be consensus that moly provides good start-up lubrication. That should not be surprising - the 'plating' thing. Since much engine wear occurs during the first few minutes of operation, this might be a significant matter. But it still may not be cost effective for an individual consumer. With no additive, your engine may last 100,000 miles or more. How much more would you be willing to pay for the engine to last 150,000 miles? 200,000 miles? 400,000 miles? Most people I know get new-car-fever (or change-car-fever) long before their engine wears out. And don't expect the taxi-cab fleet owners to test for this either - their vehicles rarely get turned off.

Finally, moly in engine oil reduces heat by some amount - a few degrees. VW engineers simply used a standard industrial lubricant to attack their heat problem. They might have added a bigger oil cooler - and later did! Plus, there were a zillion after-market oil coolers made for Beetles. But, then VW changed the design of their engines, eliminating the shared oil supply. Eventually they did away with air cooled engines altogether. For water cooled engines, the cooling system and lubricating system is designed to handle the heat load.

Will moly in engine oil save gas? Probably yes, but I've never seen a credible study for this. Simply because no one has tested for this property should not suggest one answer or another. Moly as an engine oil additive is a low sales volume product. Don't expect a million dollar study of this application (or any moly application) anytime soon. It's not going to happen.

As I said earlier in this thread, I think that if a vehicle gets consistent and quality oil changes, an engine will last a very, very long time. I just checked and our BMW is over 137k miles and still registers as-new compression values. The engine runs very smoothly and while I will try some MoS2 in this motor with the next oil change, I expect to find little benefit from it.

My Miata, though, was purchased with 138k miles on the motor, and though I have a thick folder of receipts, the amount of hard use/abuse the motor received is still basically unknown. The compression numbers indicated some wear, which may be why the MoS2 had the effect of lowering friction and increasing compression, both of which helped fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You may be going into this the wrong way. Molybdenum Disulfide (MoS2) is not a new product. It's been used in a variety of industrial processes since at least the first World War. One use is as an alloy of steel, but a another use is as a lubricant. In this latter case, Moly does two things: reduce friction (and thereby reduce heat) and it helps avoid catastrophic failure in the event of oil loss (the 'plating' effect). Logically, if you reduce friction, you might get some better mileage or efficiency, but I've never seen that claim from any responsible source.

Back in the 1960's and 70's, VW of America specified it's use in air cooled engines, in which the engine and transmission shared a common oil supply. My understanding of this use was to reduce heat (and no other claimed benefit). In fact, most VW dealers did not use the product and more than a few air cooled Beetles overheated - particularly in America.

During this same time frame, Eazor Express Corporation did a fairly extensive study of the use of MoS2 in OTR truck hydraulic systems. I apologize, but I cannot find a copy of the study or even a reference to it. The result of their study was that using MoS2 as an additive increased the fluid change interval and service life of the hydraulic systems by a significant amount - say 5-7% (something of that magnitude). For a fleet operator, this was a big deal and their conclusion was that moly was a cost effective additive. For the consumer or passenger vehicle, it is not so clear.

In more recent times, there seems to be some consensus that the use of moly in engine oil will reduce oil usage past the rings in a gasoline engine. This is not inconsistent with the Eazor Express findings. Moly clings to other metal surfaces, such as rings and cylinder walls and bearings. It will stay in place, even if the oil is drained. To a more limited extent, it will stay in place if the oil is drained and replaced. But, the moly coating is temporary - you must add some additional moly with each oil change or it will eventually go away.

As a humorous aside, during the 1960-70's hype of 'miracle moly' one ad featured a demonstration wherein a vehicle (with moly in use) had the engine oil drained. Then, with no engine oil, they drove the vehicle for 25 miles! See, doesn't that prove that moly is great stuff?

Back on planet earth, there seems to be consensus that moly provides good start-up lubrication. That should not be surprising - the 'plating' thing. Since much engine wear occurs during the first few minutes of operation, this might be a significant matter. But it still may not be cost effective for an individual consumer. With no additive, your engine may last 100,000 miles or more. How much more would you be willing to pay for the engine to last 150,000 miles? 200,000 miles? 400,000 miles? Most people I know get new-car-fever (or change-car-fever) long before their engine wears out. And don't expect the taxi-cab fleet owners to test for this either - their vehicles rarely get turned off.

Finally, moly in engine oil reduces heat by some amount - a few degrees. VW engineers simply used a standard industrial lubricant to attack their heat problem. They might have added a bigger oil cooler - and later did! Plus, there were a zillion after-market oil coolers made for Beetles. But, then VW changed the design of their engines, eliminating the shared oil supply. Eventually they did away with air cooled engines altogether. For water cooled engines, the cooling system and lubricating system is designed to handle the heat load.

Will moly in engine oil save gas? Probably yes, but I've never seen a credible study for this. Simply because no one has tested for this property should not suggest one answer or another. Moly as an engine oil additive is a low sales volume product. Don't expect a million dollar study of this application (or any moly application) anytime soon. It's not going to happen.

Thanks for the explaination! I'm a moly user and believer, and knew the history etc. I was unaware of the additional perk of being able to extend the OCI by using it. I noticed in certain applications a smoother idle, and reducing smoke in a worn engine. I believe the plating actually can fill small imperfections in the cylinder wall, which is why people make these claims. That could also explain why some people see a mpg improvement. In a new or pristine engine people won't see these benefits because there is nothing to improve upon. However the reduction in wear is always a plus, and will be noted later on. Thanks again for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back